low fluid / oversized - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-09-2007, 11:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
At last week's check up (36w), I saw a different mw than I had before in the practice. She though I was measuring way ahead (40w), when only a week before I had been at 38, so she suggested an u/s in case of low fluid or oversized baby. Personally, I think it was just her, cuz the baby had totally shifted position between the two visits, but said ok.

Now as it gets closer, I'm wondering what this could really mean. If she's oversized, I'm sure they'll try to push for induction or whatever, but I'm prepared for that. But what could the low fluid mean, and what could they try to get me to do about it?

I'm 37 weeks now, and have been contracting regularly for days, and am at least 50% effaced and my cervix is very low, so I know labor naturally isn't all that far off anyways, so want to be prepared for whatever interventions they may try to suggest and be sure I know any real risks/reasons for them.

thanks
#2 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 01:28 AM

You're absolutely right -- baby changing position can cause different measurements. Also, each practitioner may measure you slightly differently. So it's probably just her measuring differently than the last mw.

I would not worry at all.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#3 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 01:30 AM

BAH!

u/s for baby size is totally not acurate at this point in your pregnancy, seriously. For example, someone just recently posted a story in pregnancy about a friend who was told her baby would be at least 6 lbs and was sectioned or induced. The baby was only 4lbs and was obviously not ready to come out!

I don't know about fluid accuracy, but I would be wary of that also. Post in birth professionals and see what they say. I do know that if I were you, I would make sure that I stay really hydrated the day before and of your u/s if you want to keep your fluid levels high, since your body is constantly making more.

ITA with Erika. And if you are not worried about it really can always decline the u/s or just not show up. Chances are no one will notice this late in the game.

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 03:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Late term u/s's are something to be wary of, for the reasons you've already stated. It's easy for them to "find" something "wrong" like a big baby or low fluid, when in fact everything is normal. I definitely think that measuring within a few weeks of where you "should" be when being measured by a different person is not to be worried about. I would think you'll have less stress just skipping the u/s than going forward and having to deal with whatever they find. It's just so hard to measure things accurately at this stage!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 07:01 AM

I always measure 1 cm ahead, with all my pregnancies so far. I am 37 wks now and two days ago all of a sudden I measured 40 wks. The baby is growing but still positioned very high and my mw said it's perfectly fine.
I don't think I'd get an U/S in your case. Just my 2 cents
#6 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys! So drinking extra can help keep the fluid up? I'll definately be drinking lots and lots between now and then. Dh wants the u/s so I can't just cancel it, but size doesn't worry me, just that they'll try to scare me about the fluid.

Thanks!
#7 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 10:27 AM

I have been measuring about 2-4 weeks ahead this whole pregnancy and did so with DS. Like PP said, it varies by each different person that measures you! FWIW-DS was measuring 45 weeks when I had him at just over 41 weeks!! -he weighed 8lbs 12oz, which is not huge at all!

On the low fluid note, be very careful with that one. I was told I needed an emergency induction IMMEDIATELY due to "dangerously" low fluid levels. They didn't/wouldn't try any other options, just straight to induction. They said my baby would die! My body wasn't ready for labor yet (even at 41 weeks!!) and it was a slippery slope straight to the dreaded csection. For this VBAC I obtained the records from DS's birth and was heartbroken to see that the U/S report only showed "slightly decreased" amniotic fluid levels! Not to say EVERY DR. or MW would try to pull this, but if it comes to it make sure you ask for SPECIFIC amounts. I'm not trying to be scary or anything, just want you to know that it is better to have a little info on hand than not!

I am sure everything will be fine and like everyone said keep up the fluids!!
#8 of 9 Old 10-10-2007, 10:57 AM

Why would low fluid make you measure larger? That doesn't make any sense...
#9 of 9 Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure, I was wondering the same. If I can find out tomorrow, I'll update

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page