No more work for me... (kinda rantish) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-10-2007, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I am really not sure how I feel about it.

I only work one day a week, and I dont have a very good job (subway) but its something and it breaks up the week in a nice way.

My boss decided he didnt really want to schedule me anymore because he doesnt know 'when' I am going to 'pop' and doesnt want to schedule me and have me call off... :

On one hand, it kinda pisses me off... It should be *my* call when I decide when not to work, and I think if I pressed him he would schedule me at least for next week... (we're friends outside of work)
But on the other... I suppose I am okay with it... I just... I dont know.

I stayed home with my first the entire first year (got my first job (ever!!) when he was 15 months old I think).... And it just feels WEIRD to not have to think about going to work again. I didnt think I wouldnt like it... but I dont.

Other than that... I am 37 weeks 3 days. I supposedly have 18 days left, and everyone is looking at me like I could go at any minute.
I dont really get nagged yet, but their anticipation is getting to me.

I am patient. I have been counting the days this whole pregnancy, but more as just a silly thing to do... Now that its down to the "wire" I am adding that extra 2 weeks on to make it seem further away.

I just honestly dont feel like it will happen any time soon. I feel like I should just keep working (come on, its one day a week!!!) until I am closer...
My husband said it could happen any time now and I get that, but I just dont feel that it will.

I wish I has some kind of feeling as to when it will happen.
blarg.
thanks in advance for reading/responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 10-10-2007, 02:44 AM

That's illegal. If you're friends out of work, you might want to mention that to him. It's pregnancy discrimination- you could file w/the EEOC. If you don't care that much, you could just take the few weeks off and get ready for the new baby. IF you want to keep working, let him know and keep working.

Michelle -mom to Katlyn 4/00 , Jake 3/02, and Seth 5/04
#3 of 5 Old 10-10-2007, 03:45 AM

I understand how you feel. A good job is one you enjoy doing and have fun with. Subway may not be a "good career," but there is nothing wrong with enjoying your work! Maybe you can volunteer somewhere for the last few weeks of your pregnancy, a food bank, a soup kitchen, an animal shelter. Someplace where they won't miss you when you have to stop going. I volunteer at a nursury school where I teach English to kids 2x's a week. At first I was kind of glad to be leaving and I didn't think that I would go back(it's like a 45 min commute and they are 7&8, so they are total ingrates unless they are getting stuff) I feel a little sad though now that it's closer to it, I have been with these same kids for over a year now and I feel like I know them all. I think I will most likely go back when the baby is older, even though they can be a pain in the arse at times!

Banana, doula wife to Papa Banana and mother to Banana One, Banana Two, Banana Three, Banana Four...

#4 of 5 Old 10-10-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
Subway may not be a "good career," but there is nothing wrong with enjoying your work! Maybe you can volunteer somewhere for the last few weeks of your pregnancy, a food bank, a soup kitchen, an animal shelter. Someplace where they won't miss you when you have to stop going. I volunteer at a nursury school where I teach English to kids 2x's a week. At first I was kind of glad to be leaving and I didn't think that I would go back(it's like a 45 min commute and they are 7&8, so they are total ingrates unless they are getting stuff) I feel a little sad though now that it's closer to it, I have been with these same kids for over a year now and I feel like I know them all. I think I will most likely go back when the baby is older, even though they can be a pain in the arse at times!
Yeah! What Banana said!
#5 of 5 Old 10-10-2007, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter

I know its illegal, but I also see his point. I know that it could happen at any point... I think the reason it kind of upset me was that here I am trying to stay distracted and just keep busy and not think about when it will happen... and having them tell me I should stop working (which was already on my mind, because I get crampy when I am at work) just puts it even more forefront in my mind.

Is any of that understandable?

I also think he was trying to help me by making the decision for me... Even though it is slightly annoying, I have a *really* really hard time saying no and "giving up" I made a blog about how I feel crappy and worthless at work when I am cramping and cant do things as fast as I used to so I think that had a lot to do with his decision. He figured if he did it for me, it would be easier for me to 'swallow'.

This is one time where I suppose I am sort of glad to feel forced.

you're right banana, its not a great career, but I like it because it keeps me busy when I am there and I love my regular customers.
I like memorizing what they get.

I spent all night last night tense, sleeping super light because I would wake up at the slightest twinge from my belly or back... thinking 'could this be it'
Its maddening! I just need to stop thinking about it.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page