GBS+ and stressed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So for a while now I've been stressed about this birth. I'm not real crazy about my drs and I'm more nervous about having this hospital birth than I was with either of my first 2. Now I tested positive for GBS and it's made my stress level even higher. I have no idea what to expect. Will things be done differently because of it (length of stay, treatment of baby, etc)? I don't know whether we will consent to antibiotics or not and if we don't, I don't know what the hospital and/or dr. will do/insist on, etc.
I have just been so anxious that I'm having a really hard time enjoying these last couple of weeks of being pregnant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2007, 11:21 PM

It all depends on hospital policy. With my daughter--I had to stay for 48 hours after birth so they could monitor the baby for possible infection. I did have the antibiotics, though. So I'm not sure what the policy is without.

With this pregnancy I'm with a different hospital. I have GBS again. They only require you to stay 24 hours after the birth (but I'm opting to stay the full 48 hours to rest). But, again, I'm going to have the anitbiotics.

I think that if you don't have the antibiotics they will insist on longer observation of the baby. I don't know. It's a tough one. You could also request another test at your next appointment to see if the infection has cleared. It typically only lasts 4 weeks. So, it's possible.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:15 AM

I'm positive. My midwives are having me douche with hibacleanse every 6 hours once labor starts. There are a lot of very likely risks involved with exposing a new baby to antibiotics. Also, the risk for passing GBS on to baby is naturally low- .5%. See if you can get out of the antibiotics if you're nervous about them. I don't think the risk of infecting baby is worth the side effects of the antibiotics.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:39 AM

I'd call the hospital and find out their policy and another test would probably be a good idea.

User Tag List