Finally washing baby clothes - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-12-2007, 02:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom went tag sale-ing last weekend and bought me another huge bag of used baby clothes, so I finally buckled down, pulled out all the clothes I had, dragged them downstairs, and started washing them. Even the new ones. I'm not using any detergent, just a little oxyclean with some vinegar in the rinse.

And I washed the three dozen prefolds I have, too, though I want to wash them a few more times.

And I washed the cover to my basinette, so that's clean now, though it needs a new mattress. I got the basinette second-hand, and even though the "mattress" is just a polyurethane foam oval covered in vinyl, and I could probably effectively clean it by spraying it with diluted bleach solution, I'm still skeptical about reusing it. Maybe I should get over it, what do you think?

I feel like I'm so behind! Everyone's having babies and I'm just now washing clothes? What's wrong with me?

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#2 of 4 Old 10-12-2007, 02:25 PM

Well, you're not even "due" for another 3 weeks, and maybe then some, so no big deal Besides, if you do it all too soon then you sit here like me with basically everything done and just waiting. so annoying.:
#3 of 4 Old 10-12-2007, 05:09 PM

Ayla, just so you know, you can probably find a new mattress for the bassinette at BRU. We were loaned a bassinette, and then found bugs in it (ew! first thought - bed bugs?! thankfully they turned out to be booklice) Anyway, it was definitely worth $15 to have peace of mind and no bugs in our mattress. Have fun preparing

blessed Catholic mommy to DD 10/07 and DS 2/09, little one due 8/12!

#4 of 4 Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 PM

I would just get some foam from the craft store and cover it with material (joann's has some waterproof material that would work) But I'm cheap that way.

I'd probably use a used one if it was not nasty looking. I got a used bed from my sister that was in storage for over a year and DD uses it with no problems, but it looks very clean and smelled clean.

Dont worry too much about being behind. I'm due tomorrow, and DH took today off of work to do the house 'work' that we had needed to have done before the baby comes. I havent even lanolized my wool covers yet either and I just finished sewing up my baby wipes. I still have to make my baby carriers that I have the fabric here to make and I never did get around to finishing about half of the newborn fitteds I cut out. oops!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page