My trip to labor and delivery - Mothering Forums
October 2007 > My trip to labor and delivery
Pumpkin_Blythe's Avatar Pumpkin_Blythe 05:04 PM 10-18-2007

So I go to my appointment yesterday and while I am there the Dr. tells me I need to check into the hospital becuase I am spilling some protein in my urine. She wants to be sure this is not the start of preclamspia.

So I get to the hospital, they send me up to L & D and I stand in a hall for an hour waiting for a bed. They put me in this curtain area I can hear woman in labor all around me, there are 5 of us in ONE ROOM!

I sit there for another hour no one comes. finally a nurse comes and says oh this monitor doesn't work we need to move you. I end up in my own room, with a T.V and a big bed... ahh I can deal with this.

They hook up Elliot to monitors and get a urine sample and then 2 more hours go by. A Dr. with a thick accent comes in. I said how long do I have to wear this monitor and he says FOREVER. I smile thinking he is kidding... he is not kidding.

He goes you have a rare blood disorder in pregnancy. Your blood is clotting too quickly, your kidneys are failing and we need to have this baby tonight. He says I will need a transfusion and wont be awake for my c-section. Nick is like freaking out. I am like wait wait wait... you can tell all this from URINE?

No, he says he has my blood results. I said no one has taken my blood. He argues with me for 5 minutes, shows me the paperwork with my name my birthday my SS#... I show him my arms.. NO BLOOD!

He calls in a nurse they realize someone has been released who REALLY needs to come back.. and someone is also in a crap load of trouble for not reading the wrist band!

So then he says... well this tracing is no good. We need a better tracing. I said I have heard his heartbeat for 2 hours. He said there are no variables, your baby could be brain dead. I look at Nick and he is not sad anymore, he is pissed.

He tells me to get on my side, plays with the monitor for like 30 seconds and says your too fat we will have to get a bio something profile. I was pretty much at my witts end there. I said why don't you go call the woman YOU SENT HOME and send in a nurse to fix my monitor.

FINALLY a woman comes in takes my blood and an hour later I am driving home. What a night! lol

dcgrl's Avatar dcgrl 05:23 PM 10-18-2007
Not your DDC, but
Aeress's Avatar Aeress 05:24 PM 10-18-2007
Oh my, that is kinda scarey! They really need to get their act together!

Everything o.k. then?
Pumpkin_Blythe's Avatar Pumpkin_Blythe 05:39 PM 10-18-2007
well they sent me home so I guess so. the dr. never came back, the nurse released me.
HarperRose's Avatar HarperRose 05:44 PM 10-18-2007
: That poor other new mother. I would NOT want this guy as my ob!!

Are you ok?? I'd be very unhappy if I was treated so poorly.
jrayn's Avatar jrayn 06:28 PM 10-18-2007
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My midwife was saying that when she was in nursing school, that doctors and nurses would use certain tactics to cause women to get c-sections. Like: When checking the fetal monitor while a woman is laboring, they would say things like "hmmmm I am not sure about this, I am going to have to get the doctor in right away" then not give any further information, so the laboring woman would panic and ultimately end up with a c-section!! But your situation is an ENTIRELY different level, that is pure incompetence and really the "forever" response would not be appropriate to say for something so serious!! Prayers for the woman that they let go!
I like your "paranoid" smiley
cottonwood's Avatar cottonwood 06:33 PM 10-18-2007
So what would have happened if you hadn't questioned him?

That's so scary. It's so scary that I wouldn't go back, but that's just me.
roostery's Avatar roostery 06:35 PM 10-18-2007
Holy Cow! That reads like a nightmare!

Do you have to deliver at that hospital? Because I would be feeling a bit iffy about their standard of care.
Pumpkin_Blythe's Avatar Pumpkin_Blythe 06:42 PM 10-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlittlebirds View Post
So what would have happened if you hadn't questioned him?

That's so scary. It's so scary that I wouldn't go back, but that's just me.
I would be holding Elliot right now and they would be realizing there mistake is my guess. Yes, i will deliver there, but I will have MY dr. not the doctor on call from Russia. lol
dynamicdoula's Avatar dynamicdoula 06:47 PM 10-18-2007
The director of that hospital would be getting a STRONGLY worded letter immediately if that happened to me. Holy mackerel!
hetaera's Avatar hetaera 07:52 PM 10-18-2007
holy freaking crap.
Brisen's Avatar Brisen 08:40 PM 10-18-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcgrl View Post
:

SO glad you caught their mistake! I hope they managed to find the other woman in time.
candyapplez's Avatar candyapplez 08:54 PM 10-18-2007
I have no words I pray that dr isn't on call when you go in.
Dena's Avatar Dena 11:39 PM 10-18-2007
Dang. That is just.... dang.

You think things like this happen only in poor, third world countries.

Too sad.

I am glad you have a good dr. for the delivery. And thank GOD you had the presence of mind to question that quack!
Apryl Srissa's Avatar Apryl Srissa 11:41 PM 10-18-2007
I would write lots and lots of letters after you and baby are settled in. Just imagine if you were some young uneducated mama, who just trusted him? You'd have had surgry for nothing, combined with the mama in need out there unknowing.

That quack of a dr needs smacked upside the head!

Glad you are ok and didn't listen to him!
cherubess's Avatar cherubess 11:56 PM 10-18-2007
What a nightmare for you. That was incredible to read.

I really hope that got that other pregnant woman back in time.
MamaFern's Avatar MamaFern 03:29 AM 10-19-2007
wow..
what a nightmare. and what horrible manners! i would have kicked that dr in the face.

its scary how mistakes like that are made so often in hospitals. yikes.
flapjack's Avatar flapjack 04:02 AM 10-19-2007

Please, complain. The powers that be need to know that that happened.
echospiritwarrior's Avatar echospiritwarrior 04:13 AM 10-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post

my sentiments exactly! :
wildgarden's Avatar wildgarden 04:26 AM 10-19-2007
Yikes! That is really messed up! Jeepers. IT sounds like it makes you appreciate your OB even more.
mamabearsoblessed's Avatar mamabearsoblessed 01:13 PM 10-19-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack View Post

Absolutely!!

Holy Lawsuit Batman!! I hope they found that other woman and that Doc's shift was over by then...

OMG. What a horrid experience.
Banana731's Avatar Banana731 02:08 AM 10-20-2007
I hate hospitals, blech. Thank god you are smart enough to argue with him about it, because I'm sure there are women out there who aren't.
Pumpkin_Blythe's Avatar Pumpkin_Blythe 03:47 AM 10-20-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana731 View Post
I hate hospitals, blech. Thank god you are smart enough to argue with him about it, because I'm sure there are women out there who aren't.
Yeah like the woman who was asked are you Kathy ******** and she said.. yes. lol
levismom's Avatar levismom 04:06 AM 10-20-2007
that is soooo lousy! I would also recommend (in all of your free time....) putting in a serious complaint to the hospital administrator as well. He needs to be reprimanded for his disrespectful treatment of you, I cannot believe he called you fat, I would be so ticked off! He should be put on a leave of absence for that comment alone.
grrrrrr....sorry mama......you deserve better....
fihz's Avatar fihz 02:47 PM 10-20-2007
Well, at least you questionned the blood results!! Some women wouldn't say a darn thing and go with the flow...

Hope you get your doctor and not any of those other crappy doctors...
Up