postpartum bleeding question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My little guy was born on 10/3 (2 1/2 weeks ago) and last Sunday my bleeding/discharge had all but stopped - only sporadic spotting was happening - on Tues I started bleeding lightly - I wasn't worried though, at that point I was only 13 days postpartum so it made sense and was light

well, tonight I went to bed with baby around 11:30 - I hadn't even really spotted during the day today (Friday). At 3:15am I got up to sit in the rocking chair with baby to nurse him and when I stood up it felt really wet between my legs (I had on underwear and yoga type pants) - I nursed baby, put him down and walked into the bathroom - there was blood everywhere (I dread looking at the bedsheets in the morning) and two half dollar sized clots on the soaked through pad - after sitting on the toilet I saw several more clots in the toilet. This is similar to how I was bleeding when I was in the hospital (first 24 hrs) although there is no cramping now

I will call the dr in the am if this keeps up but wondered if anyone has had this "come and go" bleeding/lochia - I know my uterus is still shrinking and clearing out so I don't want to call if this is just normal stuff happening - of course if I bleed through a pad each hour until daylight I will call for sure........

funny how much I have forgotten about my prior birthing experiences - been a looooooong time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-20-2007, 07:54 AM

Yes, I've had big bleeding incidents like that after I thought it had slowed down. Keep an eye on it though, and like you said, call the doc if it keeps up.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 10-20-2007, 07:57 AM

yep I had that as well. very gross stuff that seemed to make it's way out during a good night of nursing with me as well. The clots always scare me!
Old 10-20-2007, 09:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
yes, scary but normal. My lochia lasts about 6 weeks, usually, and with an increase in nursing like a growth spurt or an increase in activity level for me, my flow will increase again and I have seen some clots weeks after they stopped initially.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:09 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, as long as that doesn't happen continuously I'd say it's normal. I've actually forgotten to grab a pad and gone out (guess it just proves how comfy cloth pads are, when it's not obvious they're gone! ) and had NO problems on some days... and others, I'd have been in big trouble without them! I hadn't noticed an association with more nursing, but that makes a lot of sense. I do often see an increase in lochia with too much activity or even with BMs. I was hoping when it lightened up at 2 weeks that I'd be done super early, but alas, clearly I was also just forgetting how it works!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List