Hey PP moms, can we talk birth control? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So my midwife suggested an IUD for me. And the idea really makes me nervous, so I'd love to hear some perspectives.

I was on BC pills for years, and really regret it, since I was left with a host of problems. DH has used condoms for the majority of our relationship. Which is ok, though he doesn't like the feel of them, and since having James, neither do I. They're really uncomfortable. NFP would be my first choice if I had regular cycles.

So she gave me the choice of an IUD with hormones or without. The latter is more appealing, but she said it causes heavier periods. Mine are quite heavy enough as it is.

Anyway, I don't know what I'm going to do. What about you all?

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 04:23 PM

Honestly, we are planning on using condoms until dh gets a vasectomy. I have used birth control and the patch and didn't like either of them. NFP has worked really well for us but we aren't taking any chances as, I never, ever want to be pregnant again. Nope, I have no desire for more kids.

I have looked into an IUD and would consider that as a possibility.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#3 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 04:48 PM

Looks like we'll getting a vasectomy here too. I really want one more but was told not to get pg again by the dr. Too much risk. Hopefully we'll be able to adopt though. I don't feel like our family is complete yet! The thought of not being pg again isn't too bothersome though...This was a ROUGH pregnancy!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#4 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 05:03 PM

I will be able to tell you about the mirena IUD soon I am getting one inserted at my 6 wk pp appt which is on the 15th of Nov ........ I used the "mini pill" successfully while nursing my two dds back in my 20's but in my 30's my periods got heavier and heavier (I turned 39 this week) and the bc pill I was using (low hormone) was causing hormonal migranes to occur every month (yuck!) - we had started using NFP and condoms during the last half of 2006 as a stop gap while we figured out what to do between then and menopause when I found out I was pregnant - in Dec I had set up a drs appt for 2/7/07 to get the IUD inserted but instead it ended up being an ultrasound appt to figure out the dating of the pregnancy - lol:
#5 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 05:22 PM

We are going the vesectomy route. I have no desire to ever be pregnat again. We thought our family was complete with DS#1 so DS#2 is an added blessing.
#6 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 06:51 PM

I decided against the pill after the 2nd babe, cause I think it might have caused some supply issues w my first and I also didn't like idea of taking hormones. Kinda scary when you really think about how it works. I considered a IUD but then went with a daphragm. Lost a bunch of weight and didn't get it refitted. here I am, member of this DDC..
We got snipped now, we are done. if dh hadn't wanted the sx so badly I would have gotten an IUD finally, the non-hormonal one.
#7 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 06:53 PM

Suz, get the non-hormonal IUD!

I had a Paragard prior to this pregnancy and I loved it. I'm getting another one on December 10, can't wait.

I didn't notice my periods were any heavier than before having it. And I love no hormones.

Dh and I just dtd today for the first time pp, and we used a condom. Woo hoo.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#8 of 22 Old 11-01-2007, 08:37 PM - Thread Starter

Hm, lots of snippage going aroung. DH is totally ready for a vasectomy, but I've asked him to wait. I'd like one more babe, and while he says he doesn't, he was the same way after Thomas. (He can't deal with the newborn/no sleep stage. But like all things, it passes.)

Anywhoos... good to know you like Paragard, Erika. I'm with you on the "no hormones". I said that to my midwife though, and her response was interesting. She said she used to be in total agreement with me... and then she saw the negative effects of repeated ovulation. She said: "Biologically, we're meant to be continually pregnant and nursing, pregnant and nursing... but we don't do that. So we ovulate and ovulate. And that has ramifications too." We didn't get into what those ramifications were, but I see her point about how our lifestyles may not work cohesively with biology.

Will talk to her about Paragard. Did it hurt to have inserted? Is it difficult to do the monthly checks?

#9 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 12:50 AM

I am considering the non-hormone iud as well. I am just not good with pills or NFP. I am just too lazy. I have terrible migraines so I can't take anything with added hormones. I think we are done, but neither one of us is ready to snip yet.. just in case!
#10 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 12:59 AM

I can't stand latex condoms. They make me feel raw and itchy besides they don't feel that great. We use lamb skin condoms and that is what we will use until we ttc again. The only negative thing I've heard about the non hormone iud is my friend had a horrible yeast infection she couldn't get rid of until she had it removed. Apparently it changes the pH.
#11 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 03:45 AM

I loved my IUD that I had prior to ttc DS. I think it was the hormone type, I can't remember. They are good for a long time! I never had any issues with it and my periods were not too heavy...I typically have pretty heavy periods.

I rarely checked it. I had cramping when it went in, but I had never had a baby before that either so I think that might have made it worse. The cramping was like bad menstrual cramps and they only lasted a day. I took the thing out myself when we wanted to ttc...I probably shouldn't have, but I couldn't stand the thought of going to a doctor just so they could basically yank on a string and be done.

DH wants to get snipped. That is okay with me now, but I am very sad abou tnot being pregnant again...

There's more info than you wanted, I'm sure.

PS, I can't believe there is some pp-dtd going on already in this ddc! You all amaze me! Maybe there is something wrong with me...but that would be for another post.
#12 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 04:40 AM - Thread Starter

WG, I don't think "too much information" exists around here.

As for dtd, I had absolutely NO desire for months after my first son. This time I'm good to go. So I think it just depends on your body, hormones, fatigue, etc. Different for each woman and after each babe she births. There's nothing wrong with you.

#13 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 05:03 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
I'd like one more babe, and while he says he doesn't, he was the same way after Thomas. (He can't deal with the newborn/no sleep stage. But like all things, it passes.)
My DH was exactly the same after Iain! It was the whole "Why do people do this again?! Why did WE do this again?!" kind of thing. He said NO MORE for sure... and here we are. This time hasn't been bad, so far. Though he's back to saying for sure we're done (mostly because of the older ones, not the baby, oddly enough). But I *did* overhear him say to a friend that "we weren't sure" yet as to having more. And that's true - we're just not sure. Things will definitely look different in a couple of years!

Quote:
WG, I don't think "too much information" exists around here.

As for dtd, I had absolutely NO desire for months after my first son. This time I'm good to go. So I think it just depends on your body, hormones, fatigue, etc. Different for each woman and after each babe she births. There's nothing wrong with you.
Is it that there's no TMI, or it's ALL TMI?

After my last birth I couldn't figure how people DID get pg again... It was about the last thing I ever wanted to think about or consider. I also had pretty bad tearing AND it was my first vag birth, so I think that all had a major effect. Seriously, people would make offhanded comments, and I would be totally stunned as to WHY anyone would want to do that!

This time... well, not tearing is a good thing! Definitely interested after just a couple of weeks, and finally willing to try a few weeks later. It's amazing how a different birth can affect you so differently!

Okay, back to the original topic... I will do NFP. In other words, we'll basically do nothing until I see signs that my body is gearing up again. With both of my boys that was a year+ after the birth, and with my 2nd I was, by all appearances, anovulatory for several months even after AF returned. So we'll see what happens this time! I am planning to use the LadyComp (http://www.ladycomp.com/) to help track and chart - which I'm not so great at doing. Who knows, it might even help us TTC if we ever decide to!

I'm not really sure what I think of IUDs... I think if I were ever to go that route, I'd get the hormonal one, because of what I do know about at least the old-style IUDs. Is Paragard just copper? Or is there something different about it? At least with the hormonal IUD you know you're not ovulating. With the non-hormonal ones it's possible to conceive and just not allow implantation (hence heavier periods, is the theory). I don't like that idea at all. :

I basically hate birth control and don't want to use any of it!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#14 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherB View Post

I'm not really sure what I think of IUDs... I think if I were ever to go that route, I'd get the hormonal one, because of what I do know about at least the old-style IUDs. Is Paragard just copper? Or is there something different about it? At least with the hormonal IUD you know you're not ovulating. With the non-hormonal ones it's possible to conceive and just not allow implantation (hence heavier periods, is the theory). I don't like that idea at all.
Wow. Neither do I. It's against my religious beliefs (no offense to anyone here whose views may differ.) I think that was the case with prog-only bcp. Didn't know that was possible with the IUD.

Guess I'd have to double check with the midwife on that. Yes, it's just copper. Hm. I'm with you... I hate birth control. If only I had the financial means and sanity to deal with ten children. Especially the latter.

#15 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow. Neither do I. It's against my religious beliefs (no offense to anyone here whose views may differ.) I think that was the case with prog-only bcp. Didn't know that was possible with the IUD.

Guess I'd have to double check with the midwife on that. Yes, it's just copper. Hm. I'm with you... I hate birth control. If only I had the financial means and sanity to deal with ten children. Especially the latter.
If you find a source for the sanity, I'd take some!

Yeah, it's not that I want a bunch of kids, but I don't like any of the options availabe for medical birth control. So, for me it's basically getting to know how my body works and paying attention to that. It's worked pretty well - I knew just exactly when both of my younger boys were conceived. Of course we weren't trying OR avoiding at that point... or not exactly anyway. But I think it'll be the best for us, other than just completely random, child-mediated abstinence.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#16 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 03:57 PM

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I'm glad the other mamas have given you lots of good advice! I just wanted to also recommend that you browse the Family Planning board (a sub-forum of Fertility). There are SO many good threads on there! HTH!

Grateful midwife and peaceful mama to three blissfully birthed, amazing children: dd (10)dd (7) and  ds (5).
#17 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 04:10 PM

I don't know what we're going to do. I am to the point where I don't want anymore but dh wants one more. Who knows.
The current plan will be the mini pill. I had the non hormonal IUD before this one and it worked fine for me. I didn't have heavy periods.
I'd like to just know that my body won't ovulate until 11 months like I think it did with the boys, but I'm just not brave enough.
#18 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 05:20 PM

Yeah, that's the thing, I am bf'ing 32525325x/day but I still want to MAKE SURE I don't get pregnant. Fertility or not!

As far as sex, well, this may sound incredibly sexist but it keeps my dh happy : and then he keeps ME happy and then life is good.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#19 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 10:23 PM

I wanted the copper iud, my midwife made the ovulation/possibility to conceive point.... and that it just makes the environment hostile for the fertilized egg. So that kind of makes me uncomfortable, she suggested a diaphragm or cervical cap, but that I am not completely comfy w/ b/c I really really don't need to get pregnant any time soon... REALLLLLLY don't need to....
Now I am thinking, I could get the copper IUD AND a diaphragm.... then I could use the diaphragm and IF that small percentage occurs and something escapes, the IUD is there and hopefully will prevent conception....
#20 of 22 Old 11-02-2007, 11:36 PM

I've heard great things about the Mirena IUD (friends and sister), so I'm considering that. NFP worked great for us for 8 years (got pregnant on our first try both times, but no "surprises"), but I was open to having children then if there was an accident, and now we're definitely DONE. I'd love it if DH got the big V, but he says no way. :
#21 of 22 Old 11-03-2007, 12:14 AM

DH and I fall pregnant at a drop of a hat so I'm not trusting on b/f to keep us safe.

At the moment our birth control method is abstinence much to my DH disappointment but hey my DD isn't 4 weeks old yet!

We'll be going back to condoms and DH reckons when DD is 12 months old then he will look into getting the snip.
#22 of 22 Old 11-11-2007, 01:19 PM

I got my Mirena placed on Friday. Still a bit crampy and a victim of the "poking string", but nothing that I can't deal with.

The Mirena will come out sometime in late 2009-early 2010 with the goal of starting to TTC#2.

Working jammin.gif Student Mama to a energy.gif4 y/o.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page