How are your babes doing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just stopping in to see how everyone is doing. Poor Erin has been rather fussy and not herself. We are suspecting reflux and will see the doc on tues for her 2week appt but in the meantime I feel so bad for her.

How are your kids doing?

Bella and Gill are doing well, a bit emotional but overall, they are handling things very well.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 11-03-2007, 05:16 PM

My babe is a month old today

Me, Dh and the baby have had a virus that has lasted 3 weeks now - it resulted in a cough that is still lingering - for two weeks baby was coughing every hour (minimum) and choking on his mucus so he was with me (or in someone elses arms reach) 24/7 so we could watch him closely. For the past week the coughing is more infrequent (every 2-3 hrs) but very violent (resulting in his gag reflex being set off, build up of air in his belly (he toots and toots during and after coughing) - same with dh and me - we are all at the same point in the virus which is why we feel it must be a virus and not allergies or reflux). No fever, no green phlem, just lots of mucus in the throat area, no wheezing except right after the cough ends (fades after a minute or two). The dr said it is "something going around" and that unless he gets a fever or seems dehydrated or isn't nursing well that it will go away on its own after 2-3 wks. We are elevating him when he sleeps, using saline drops and a warm vaporizer/humidifier and have kept him away from "strangers" as much as possible. He has been peeing/pooping fine, no temp higher than 99.1 so no worries there. During the 24 hrs he has started to get nasal congestion which makes it harder for him to nurse - if that continues we will go to the dr on monday to have his breating listened to (not sure what they can do for him though)

3 more weeks of maternity leave - I am going to bawl and bawl and bawl when I go back to work - I just confirmed his spot at the childcare center on Friday the past 3 weeks have been LONG with this virus/coughing because we have been so worried about him (and dh and I have argued frequently about whether or not we should take him back to the dr - I have said no and dh dissagreed but went with my decision as long as I was willing to keep him near me 24/7.

Otherwise this baby has a wonderful spirit - he is a snuggler and is soooo easy going (even with the cough), he is a good nurser and tolerates his big sisters constant attention (and arguing over him) very very well (so far )
#3 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 12:15 AM

My baby will be 3 weeks old on Monday. At her two week appointment she hadn't reached her birth weight yet. So, we're going back on Monday to see that her weight gain is picking up. I'm not concerned because they didn't weigh her after birth until after she nursed for over an hour. She wasn't that far off her birth weight--and she's such a little thing anyway--so an ounce or two doesn't concern me much.

She was 41 weeks 1 day and weighed only 6 lbs 10 ounces, 18 inches long. What she lacks in size (I'm short and petite--so she gets it from me, I'm sure) she makes up for in personality and sweetness. She's super content, calm, quiet, and snuggly. She's made it known that she likes the ring sling (that cost me all of $5 to make!) and hates the Hotsling (let's not talk cost!). She's already smiling in reaction to us, and not just 'gassy' smiles. She has been content being on me most of the day, but sleeps without fuss in her bassinet beside our bed. Our only 'issue' is that she is so noisy when she sleeps! It can be kind of annoying because I'll wake up, get up, get ready to nurse her, only to find she's fast asleep--so asleep that I can't get her to wake up and nurse to buy another two hours of sleep!

I was so hesitant to have another baby for SO LONG. I'm so happy I had this baby because she's just as sweet, if not sweeter, than my first child who was super 'easy', too!
#4 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM

My baby will be 3 weeks on Tuesday and she's basically a sweet heart She's really picky about how she is held which frustrates dh who can't ever figure out how to hold her

She is a wonderful sleeper at night. She will sleep 4 hour stretches! I never knew new borns could do that Neither of my boys ever slept that well.
She get's a little frustrated during the day on going back to sleep. She will only nurse to sooth herself but get's pretty upset when milk comes out. I'm trying desperately to get her to take a binky so she can just suck but she doesn't like the plastic. I just hate to watch her get all mad and then spit up all the milk she just got.

The boys are in love with her and attack her at all times. I didn't think they were having any issues but I've noticed they are a lot whinier.

I'm also starting to feel angry. I know I need to go back to my therapist and figure out what to do. I had bad ppd issues after my second and a little after my first. So far I haven't had any issues with the baby just my two older boys. I'm feeling horrible and have told dh I won't do this again if this is the kind of mom I'm going to be after having a baby, for the 3rd time. UGH.

Anyway, sorry to go off, but I am still over the moon about this sweet little girl who at her 2 week visit had gained 6oz So I guess my milk does a body good!
#5 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 01:34 AM

My lil guy is 4 weeks and is super sweet and easy going. He likes to sleep during the day and then is up all night. Thank goodness I have my parents down the street so I can take the boys over there and take a nap.

I'm feeling a little PPDish. DS#1 drives me over the edge. I can't stand to be in the room with him. He is constantly bouncing off the walls, screaming at the top of his lungs, whining and crying over every little thing, asks for something (like a glass of water) and then throws a fit because I gave it to him. My parents say that when I'm not around he is a great kid, but as soon as I get there he turns into a monster. He is very loving towards his lil brother, and tells everyone he meets he has a new lil brother and that he is a big brother. He likes to tell him stories about when they get older how they are going to fight dragons and dinosaurs and go fishing.

I hope his behavior is just a phase and he will return to my sweet baby again. Right now I can't be around him and breaks my heart. I don't know what to do to get him to behave for me or around me. I know it is an attention thing... but nothing I do will work. If I scold him or give him consequenses they just roll of his back like it is no big deal and continues the behavior or the thing escalate into full blown tantrums, if someone else trys and I am around he continues the behavior or it escalates into full blown tantrum. The only person he will half way behave for when I am around is DH, I have no idea why because DH sets the same guidlines and consequences I do. He just does not like me right now.
#6 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 02:45 AM

My lo is doing pretty well. She is gaining weight and is very sweet, but she seems really uncomfortable with I think gas. She nurses pretty well, but seems to get a lot of air in when she gulps no matter how much I work at the latch. Her latch seems good, but it doesn't sound good and then she is very gassy. This makes me sad because I had a really rough time with DS being colicy and I was hoping for a babe without it this time...who wouldn't hope for that? I feel so bad for her. Other than that everything is going great. We are not getting much sleep, but DH and I are taking turns with naps etc.
#7 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 07:56 AM

Mine is fat, cute, and grumpy. Here are the boys at Halloween:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...5/CIMG0021.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...CIMG0011-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...5/CIMG0018.jpg

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#8 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildgarden View Post
My lo is doing pretty well. She is gaining weight and is very sweet, but she seems really uncomfortable with I think gas. She nurses pretty well, but seems to get a lot of air in when she gulps no matter how much I work at the latch. Her latch seems good, but it doesn't sound good and then she is very gassy. This makes me sad because I had a really rough time with DS being colicy and I was hoping for a babe without it this time...who wouldn't hope for that? I feel so bad for her. Other than that everything is going great. We are not getting much sleep, but DH and I are taking turns with naps etc.
We're in the same exact boat. We could be talking about the same child (and my first had colic too). James' latch looks fine but he squeaks when he nurses from the air he's swallowing. And he's terribly gassy.

Do you have oversupply? Are you doing reclined nursing and block nursing? They're helping us a little... though the gassiness continues.

Hang in there...

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#9 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 09:24 AM

My babe is doing great. She's sooo much easier than DD1. She loves to sleep in arms or on her tummy (and refuses to sleep on her back or side for more than 5 minutes). I know there is "research" about it being bad for them, but when DS was born they told us if we didnt put him down on his tummy he was at risk and now they say if we do they are at risk, so I just go with what works for my babes. She sleeps very well, sometimes for 4 hours at a time although not necessarily at night.

We have 1 rough feeding, generally the last one before I go to bed. I dont know why but either I'm too tired or she is too gassy or something because she just does not stay attached and cries a lot. Its not that bad though. So far we have had nothing like the hour+ screaming sessions DD1 had. I've started feeding more or less on a schedule instead of "on demand" only because it seems to be working better for her. She sleeps longer because she's eating a full meal, where when I was feeding her on demand she was half awake eating a tiny bit and then passing out for 10 minutes, rinse/repeat. Now she's eating pretty much everything I have to give her, and wide awake nursing (and not hurting me as much either for some reason).

We are also using a carrier with a lot more success this time (and from the beginning so hopefully she will be more used to it) so a lot of times I just pop her into the mei tei and go about my business where last time I was tethered to where ever DD was/wanted to be. Its a lot easier for us this time...I think in part because we just did this 2 yrs ago and we're not freaking out like first time parents (not that anyone else is... but I was in a panic every time DD1 cried, and this time I just go through the "checklist" of why she could be crying but without stressing about it)
#10 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 02:28 PM

My little girl is 4 wks now. She's doing very well at gaining weight. We left the hospital after 4 days and she was 1 oz over birthweight. At 2 wks she was
1 lb 8 oz past birthweight...she sure likes to nurse.

The late evenings can be hard for us though, as she cries a lot and it seems like nothing can calm her. She'll nurse a bit and maybe fall asleep, but then she's up again shortly after crying again. Could this be colic? DD1 was so easy going and so, so calm. Baby does sleep good most nights though, even up to 4.5 hrs at a time. Whoa, that's hard on my breasts. She prefers to sleep in our bed and looking at me as she falls asleep.

DD1 was the most difficult in the first 2 days, but now she's more pleasant to be around. She loves to be around her little sister.

Me, I'm very busy, but doing quite well. I just hope that I pass all of my college courses this term.
#11 of 11 Old 11-04-2007, 08:45 PM

my DD is 4 weeks old today.

She sleeps all the time and it is really difficult to get her to nurse longer than 10 minutes. She could sleep forever without feeding.

I've had to build my milk supply back up because of her lack of feeding and then a feeding strike.

I'm hoping that she'll be a champion nurser again once she gets some more weight on her.

Other than that she is great.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page