Bryson James birth story (pictures added ) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-05-2007, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bryson James was born at 12:07AM on October 22, 2007 7lbs 8.5 oz (same as his daddy was). My birth experience was nothing like I had planned but I’m focusing on the fact that I have my beautiful son.
Saturday the 20th I lost some plug and had some show at about seven pm. My dh and I started timing contractions but they were irregular. He asked if I was excited. I replied no because I knew of quite a few women that had contractions for days before they delivered. Honestly I knew if I got excited I wouldn’t get sleep that night. So we had a late diner and I was asleep by 11.
At 12:33 the contractions woke me up. Dh was still playing video game. I told him he should come to bed because I thought it would be a long day. I went about some business finishing up some things and came back. He was still playing. I told him he needed to get off now! He did saying his wife needed him. To which I replied because I’m in labor!
Dh went to the grocery store to buy me a bottle of wine and I took a hot bath and drank a small glass of wine. After I got out I immediately threw up and then had to go to the bathroom. That’s how I knew things were serious. So I called my doula and she got here about 2:30.
Things progressed along and we called my midwife Chris at 5:30. My friend Sara who was taking pictures came over. I got on my birth ball and watched CMT for a while. Tried to convince Dh to buy me the new Carrie Underwood cd on Tuesday. He did.
By this point my contractions were just a few minutes apart and lasting 1 minute to 2 minutes. I remember saying “ I thought they were only supposed to last one minute!!”: My midwife and her two students Caitlin and Sara arrived at about 8:30 (I think)
To be honest things start to get a little blurry at this point. My midwife said she’d email the notes to fill in my holes. I spent a lot of time on the ball. The ball was my friend. The birthing stool on the other hand I found out is a torture device. : At one point, my dh and Caitlin and Sara and I went outside to walk. I was supposed to squat every contraction.
I loved being in the water. It was so warm. Sara the midwife student has the most amazing brown eyes. I would lock into them and she never once broke my gaze. She carried me through many contractions. I progressed from 1 ½ cm to 7 cm in 5 hours. At one point I really wanted dh he was asleep. Everyone told me to let him sleep, but I needed him and made them wake him up.
At this point labor stalled and my cervix swelled. I laid down and they gave me a whole bunch of natural pills over the next 4 hours to open my cervix. This was about 4 o’clock I think. This really slowed my labor. I started asking for drugs. I was supposed to be saying “paw” to get me through contractions. My doula says I forgot what to say and was saying, “pee” and “po.”
My midwife came in and told us that there was some merkonian, it wasn’t enough that she was worried but she wanted us to know. They sent me to the evil stool when I was dilated again but after a few contractions I swelled again. It was 10:30ish and my midwife made the call to go to the hospital.
I rode with my midwife and our caravan left for the hospital.

At the hospital they hooked me up to the fetal heart monitor and an iv, all the things I had originally told myself I wouldn’t allow. The doctor came in and told me that after every contraction, Bryce’s heart rate would go down, I didn’t ask to lie on my side. He recommended a c- section. I asked to talk to my midwife and dh. My midwife said she’d do a section. The doc said he thought I could do a vbac next time and he’d let me know if he saw any problems.
My dh and doula came with me into the operating room at 11:50. The doctor asked me whether I wanted him born on the 21st or the 22nd. My dh said, “take your time”. Plus dh is partial to the 22nd as his birthday is September 22nd. When they asked if I had any questions I actually asked if the anesthesiologist was covered under my insurance. (When my bf had her baby he wasn’t but the doctor was.) The doctor replied “yes and he takes all kinds of payment cash, credit…” To be honest the staff was great. I told the nurse that it was important to me that Bryce be welcomed into the world. As soon as he was born she said, “Welcome Bryce.” It was 12:07, they wiped him down and he was in dh arms within a minute. After they sewed me up they laid him on my chest and I was back in my room by 12:33.
I talked to my midwife about what happened. She said that Bryce was ideally to come down the birth canal with his chin tucked. He instead cocked his head to the side and got himself wedged. She had tried to move him but he wouldn’t budge.

http://s237.photobucket.com/albums/ff155/candymarie77/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2007, 04:21 AM

I added this to announcements and changed the birth weight.
Old 11-08-2007, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

because I added pictures
Old 11-08-2007, 11:33 PM

Congrats and Welcome Bryson!! He is beautiful!!

Our babes share a birthday!! (and Candy, it looks like you and Ellen and I all have the same middle name...)

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 11-09-2007, 12:40 AM

Congratulations Mama!!! He is beautiful
Old 11-09-2007, 01:22 AM

my what a handsome boy!
Old 11-09-2007, 02:32 AM

congrats mama!

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

Old 11-09-2007, 06:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on your beautiful son! Some of his features remind me of my new DS.

I hope you are healing up well!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List