Bleeding started up again - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-07-2007, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I got mastitis really bad on Saturday and went to the ER on Sunday to get antibiotics for it (I started feeling 100% better 12 hours after starting the antibiotics, so I know they were needed.) My bleeding had been slowly down dramatically and the past few days I didn't need a pad. Yesterday the bleeding started up again, bright red and heavy like my period. I know that it's not my period because we're doing ecological breastfeeding and I didn't get a pp period until 11 months after Emily was born, so 2 weeks is a tad early Should I be worried or did the infection stop the bleeding for awhile and then now that it's going away the bleeding is coming back?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 06:52 PM

That has happened to me twice during the past 5 wks - the bleeding/discharge tappered off almost completely and then started back up with a vengance (for no rhyme or reason imo)

sorry about the mastitis - glad the antibiotics gave you relief!!!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:56 PM

Yeah, I had something similar happen on Monday - the bleeding had almost stopped, and I got up from the potty on Monday and there was blood running down my leg (sorry tmi). It eventually slowed again, but was pretty heavy for awhile. I called my midwife and she said it was normal for that to happen - sometimes extra activity or a prolonged bf session (Ellen had nursed for three hours straight the night before can cause the bleeding to get heavy again.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
Old 11-08-2007, 02:01 AM

I'm a little more concerned than I would be otherwise because you say it's bright red. I'd call your MW or OB. Like, tonight. It could very well be a normal variation in your PP bleeding, but it's always better to check in cases like this and have it be nothing, than to not check and end up really ill.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
Old 11-08-2007, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

I called my midwife, and she said it sounds fine. She said it could just be from the normal ebb and flow of breastfeeding (something like this happened with Emily but it didn't happen until 5 weeks pp.) She said not to be preoccupied by the color but by the amount, if I go through a pad in an hour, to call immediately. It's slowed down again (barely anything on my pad last night) so I think the worst is over
Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM

I'm glad that you checked. Thanks for the update.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

User Tag List