Family visits? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 03:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone else have family coming in for Thanksgiving or Christmas? My MIL will be here in less than 2 weeks!! Thankfully it is *possible* that we'll really have the house ready for her then. It'll be hard, but it always is. Unlike my FIL (who came in at TWO weeks - thankfully it went well!), my MIL is a very "neat" person who would be *appalled* at our house now. It's just messy/cluttered, with a bit of deep cleaning that's been neglected since baby was born, but that's it. Nothing horrible. Anyhow, so that's my big project now... and I have other things like my regular Stamp Club I have to prep for, too!

So I think it may actually be nice to have her come, despite the stress. It's actually always nice because my house is in such good shape when she's here! Thankfully she doesn't actually stay here, though, or I'd go :.

After Christmas, my FIL and his side of the family are gathering in New Mexico, a 2 day drive from here. DH really wants to go. I'm not entirely sure, especially since it falls over my birthday (again.). And they won't remember. Again. That's honestly my biggest gripe about it, though. I like travelling and Judah does well in the car (so far!), and certainly getting to show him off to more people is always good. Besides that it's family and that means they'll all have met Judah quite early. DH's grandparents will be there, too - not the kind of opportunity I like to miss out on. I actually enjoy planning the logistics of this sort of thing, so it's appealing on some levels. Still crazy to think about, though!

Anyone else making family holiday plans? Can't believe these little ones are about to have their first holidays!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#2 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 11:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You are a brave woman to have people at your house so soon after having a babe! Thankfully we never host family but usually travel for one holiday and stay put for the other. We're making a 3 hour drive for Thanksgiving to the mountains where we rented a cabin with my family. I'm SO looking forward to that!! And SO looking forward to not having to make an 8 hour drive to my parents house for the holidays!!

For Christmas we're staying put. We'll do Christmas morning here and then go to my IL's house (30 minutes away) for the rest of the day. I'm glad our holidays won't be too crazy this year!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#3 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 02:25 PM

We're going to my brothers in Co for Thanksgiving. I think it's an 8 hour drive. not really sure how I feel about it. I just hope the baby sleeps. We'll be driving my mom, dad, and brother there!
For Christmas we'll be doing the regular family stuff here. Thankfully it's all very close
#4 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 04:20 PM

We're going to Vegas the week of Thanksgiving (my parents and BIL live there) and going to Disneyland for a weekend in December. We're not staying with family, we'll be in hotels. I'm excited that we'll be going to a buffet for Thanksgiving! (No cooking with a newborn, no clean up, it's great!)
#5 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 PM

my mom just left after being here for a week, and my little sis will be here next friday- shes coming for thanksgiving, and my dad will be here thanksgiving and that friday (my parents are split up, and my mom and sis live together- they cant come at the sametime cuz someone has to be with the animals)

i'll be cooking for us and some of dh's soldiers that want to come too. thankfully, i really only have to do side dishes- dh is frying 2 turkeys and everyone who is comong is bringing something, so im really just doing stuffing and gravy and some desserts, and some other side dishes

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#6 of 6 Old 11-08-2007, 05:05 PM

I'm going to my ILs for Thanksgiving in Rhode Island, it's about a 3hr drive without a baby. The day after, DH and his brother are flying to Florida so DH can be the best man in his friend's wedding, and he won't be back until Sunday, so I'm coming back to MA with my ILs and staying with them until he comes home.

We haven't figured out Christmas yet, I think we're going to play it by ear. The baby MIGHT be getting baptized on Christmas Eve, or might not. It depends on my mom (who is a minister and would be performing the baptism). She's not willing to discuss it until after baby, so probably we'll make more concrete plans after Thanksgiving.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page