I realized i have a tummy sleeper. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I couldn't get dd to nap unless I was holding her. Finally this am I tried laying her down on her belly and voila! She slept for an hour.
Anyone else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2007, 02:28 PM

I know Daniel prefers his tummy to his back...... we are pushing him to sleep on his back though because he starts childcare in a few weeks and they will have to put him on his back to sleep due to SIDS recommendations they need to follow (I am a state licensing consultant for childcare centers so I am well aware of their rules).............. it is hard though to follow those recommendations since I know he will sleep much longer on his tummy
Old 11-09-2007, 03:31 PM

DS was a tummy sleeper - still is actually. When I had DD everyone would ask me, "does she sleep on her back or her tummy?" And I always said "her back" and couldn't understand why people were asking me that when clearly "the instructions" say to put them to sleep on their backs. Then I got DS and figured it out - he did NOT sleep on his back. I didn't worry about it myself, because we were cosleeping, and I slept nose to nose with him - literally, we have a King size bed and we put him between us with his nose to our noses.
Old 11-09-2007, 03:53 PM

We have a tummy sleeper, too. In fact, he's the 3rd one. I think the fact that they were all bunched up in the womb is what makes most babies (in my experience) WANT to sleep on their tummies. All of my kids startled awake if they slept on their backs. Side sleeping was slightly better.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

Old 11-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Sydney will sleep on her back if she's swaddled TIGHT, but right now she's asleep on her tummy

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 11-09-2007, 04:24 PM

you can check out www.stopsidsnow.com to find out how to make tummy sleeping safe, both at home and day cares, of which 1/3 of sids cases come from day cares due to the age and heavy usage of their mattresses.
good luck!
Old 11-09-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levismom View Post
you can check out www.stopsidsnow.com to find out how to make tummy sleeping safe, both at home and day cares, of which 1/3 of sids cases come from day cares due to the age and heavy usage of their mattresses.
good luck!
oh wow. that site is fascinating. I've never heard any of that, and am really struggling with how my baby sleeps best (on her side) vs. the Back to Sleep recommendation.

Does anyone have those mattress covers from the article? Is there any other source that confirms this?
Old 11-10-2007, 12:56 AM

I know midwifery today had an article about it and there are some links to news report and journal articles on the website also. I read the book the cot death cover-up by Dr. Sprott and the research he shares validated it for me.

Here's the MT link:
http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/bedding.asp

Also a good read is the first chapter of his book which is on the SSN website also, http://www.stopsidsnow.com/TheCotDeathCoverUp.html

Happy researching!
Old 11-10-2007, 06:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YumaDoula View Post
Sydney will sleep on her back if she's swaddled TIGHT, but right now she's asleep on her tummy
This is Judah, too. He sleeps best on his tummy in part, I think, just because it's cozier, more like being swaddled or cuddled. But, he CAN fall asleep on his back (like the time I laid him down to go to the bathroom and came back to find him asleep!) and he'll stay asleep that way when he's in the Miracle Blanket. It's just SO much easier to startle awake when on the back!

My older boys were both tummy-sleepers, too, in large part because of reflux. Reflux babies are almost always happier on their tummies. We did side-sleeping, too, but with a bad refluxer, back sleeping is down-right scary! As an infant, I had an incompetent cardiac sphincter (the valve between esophagus and stomach didn't work), and I would projectile vomit horribly (as in, several FEET). My mom tells the story of a nurse in the hospital weighing me, then laying me down on my back and turning away... Only to vomit and nearly aspirate it. Thankfully Mom was there, and all was well... except for the nurse (can't remember now if she lost her job or just severely reprimanded). So that kind of thing scares me, despite the theoretical advantages of back sleeping against SIDS. I definitely think cosleeping is one of the best advantages we have against it.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:32 PM

when DS was a baby they told me he must be put down on his tummy to prevent choking and SIDS and now they say the opposite. Personally I just do what works for each baby. DD2 does not sleep at all on her back and hates to be swaddled (wish I hadn't gotten that swaddling blanket!) The only way she will sleep in my arms is if she is in the mei tei otherwise at best she sleeps for 5 minutes. I'm too lumpy I guess lol

I have no qualms about putting her down on her tummy...she sleeps between 2-4 hrs a pop that way.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by levismom View Post
I know midwifery today had an article about it and there are some links to news report and journal articles on the website also.
Thank you!

For those that co-sleep, do you cover your adult mattress with anything? I mean, it seems so logical to just cover the mattress as advised, just to be on the safe side. But since the baby mostly sleeps with us in the bed, and by definition our adult mattress is used and therefore at risk of creating this nerve gas, what can you do to head it off?

I guess I am really paranoid about SIDS.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:05 PM

Neither of my kids would ever sleep for a second on their backs starting from birth...I always co-slept and kept close eyes on them, but they were always fine. I was really paranoid...:

Now, they pretty much sleep on their backs!
Old 11-10-2007, 04:12 PM

James sleeps on his belly, and ONLY his belly. That site is fascinating and frightening; I'd never heard of such things. The part that stinks is that James LOVES his Lamby, and those covers can't be used with them.

Sleep deprivation has made me not as obsessive about safety as I was with Thomas. Not a good thing.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 11-10-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianstcloud View Post
Thank you!

For those that co-sleep, do you cover your adult mattress with anything? I mean, it seems so logical to just cover the mattress as advised, just to be on the safe side. But since the baby mostly sleeps with us in the bed, and by definition our adult mattress is used and therefore at risk of creating this nerve gas, what can you do to head it off?

I guess I am really paranoid about SIDS.
i used to be really paranoid about this too when i believed the cause to be "unknown," but once i learned about the research for the toxic gas explanation, now i only worry when he's not on his wrapped snuggle nest mattress (unless he's snuggled up on my chest, lol). Dr. Sprott intentionally doesn't make an adult mattress cover because there have been rare circumstances where a baby died by suffocation from the bedding, etc, and if even one baby died on his cover, which so far NONE have, they would recall all covers and then more babies would die as a result. He is ultraconservative for this reason and would only recommend cosleeping with a cosleeper, i.e., arm's reach, snuggle nest. He has been distributing these for over 12 years, in 32 countries, with over 165,000 distributed and not a single death, so i feel pretty good about those stats. on stopsidsnow.com it also talks about what bedding to use as polyester isn't recommended, only pure cotton. it is so nice that for $30 i can relaxat night and not keep watching his chest rise and fall....
Old 11-11-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

http://children.webmd.com/news/20070...y-predict-sids

Of course, this one cites all the traditional causes but the hearing test part is interesting I thought.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivianstcloud View Post
oh wow. that site is fascinating. I've never heard any of that, and am really struggling with how my baby sleeps best (on her side) vs. the Back to Sleep recommendation.

Does anyone have those mattress covers from the article? Is there any other source that confirms this?
I put a nekkie blankie (or nekkie blanket, can't remember what it's called) under us to catch milk spills and it works great. We always used a regular mattress with our oldest and she didn't succumb to SIDS so I'm not too worried about SIDS with Lana. (Especially since we're bfing, cosleeping and Lana generally sleeps on her side, sometimes she's on her tummy, but not a lot.)
Old 11-11-2007, 07:50 PM

I've been using the wedge to put Bryce on his side but this morning when he first woke up he wiggled out of it so he was sideways(like ___ instead of straight up: So now I don't know what to do. : My m/w said there have been studies linking the toxic gas theory as well as stomach down so... who knows.
Old 11-11-2007, 07:51 PM

All of my kids were tummy babies. They loved sleeping on daddy but if they couldnt have that they would sleep on their tummies.
Old 11-12-2007, 01:05 AM

I did a little more research after looking at that site and came across the following thread....it has a different side to the whole wrapping mattresses thing. Just wanted to share and everyone can make up their own mind.

http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=544312
Old 11-12-2007, 09:55 AM

Thanks for posting that, Jen.

Not sure what to think... but perhaps buying an organic mattress is the best option. Wish they weren't so pricey, though I know it's a good investment.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

Old 11-13-2007, 12:28 AM

I think Gavin is a tummy sleeper too, like Liam and like DH and me too! Liam always hated being put on his back and it wasn't until he could roll I realized he was a tummy sleeper, and his sleep did improve a bit after that. Gavin is turning out the same, grunts and growns on his back all night, it he doesn't wake immediately after being put down, but on his tummy for naps sleeps and sleeps...

Now I'm afraid to put Gavin on his tummy at night, but I realized the other day he's sometimes spitting up in his sleep when on his back even after burping several times in the night (the gas issue is another story). So, I'm worried about putting him either way! He of course sleeps best ON one of us, but that certainly doesn't help ME get any rest!

User Tag List