Anyone with depression/anxiety? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 11-10-2007, 09:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I do fine when DH is home, but when he leaves on another trip, I start to feel those nasty depressed/anxious feelings. A big part of it is fatigue; between the two boys, I'm hardly getting any sleep. And just as big a part of it is lonliness. When it was just Thomas, we got out all the time. Now, between the fact that James screams his head off in the car, and dealing with different nap times, I don't leave my house. And motherhood with little ones is very isolating on one's own.

Anyway, I can't stand feeling anxious. I was medicated for both depression and anxiety as a teenager, and don't want to go that route again. I'm hoping it will get easier as time passes. Right?? Tell me it will.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#2 of 27 Old 11-11-2007, 04:39 AM

it will ! do you have anyone who could swing by? I've gtten my coffee fix the last couple weeks that way.
#3 of 27 Old 11-11-2007, 05:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As I sit her swallowing my fish oil capsules, I figure it might be helpful to recommend them to you! My MW says fish oil can really help with mood and mental state issues like depression. There are many other things it can affect, too, including memory (I need help there!!). So it might be worth trying.

And, yes, I absolutely think it will get better! I also agree that having people come to you would be a great idea. Get the socialization you need without the stress of getting out of the house!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#4 of 27 Old 11-11-2007, 06:26 AM

Hugs. It will get better, and easier. It's a huge transition from 1 kid to 2 (so they tell me; as you know I had twins first. But I had a lot of trouble when we went from 2 kids to 3 kids. It got easier after a few months.)

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
#5 of 27 Old 11-11-2007, 07:11 AM - Thread Starter

You all are making me feel better; thanks so much.

Heather, I take flax seed oil. Isn't that the same idea as the fish oil (EFA's) or is the fish oil in particular better for depression?

After I posted last night, my friend called and I shared with her how I was feeling (read: started crying hysterically) so she's coming with breakfast today. And I asked my brother to stop by during witching hour in the evening. So that's made Ryan's leaving easier to take.

#6 of 27 Old 11-11-2007, 02:27 PM

Try getting outside a bit in the morning, too. That really improves my mood a lot.
Do you think James has reflux? Also, I wanted to mention that Hazel now hates the car, too. You're not alone!
#7 of 27 Old 11-12-2007, 11:10 AM

*hugs* I totally understand and I will admit I went back on zoloft. I hate feeling anxious and the zoloft really helps me and I use rescue remedy to help in the evening. I have set up dates with friends so I can get out and about, they are weekly, so I can get some adult chatting in while still taking care of the kids.

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

#8 of 27 Old 11-12-2007, 12:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammycakes View Post

Do you think James has reflux?
I'm not positive, but he's certainly acting reflux-y. Thomas had it terribly, with the projectile vomiting, etc. James may be more the silent type. But I can't feed him without him writhing for a couple hours afterwards at night. Which means walking with him upright the whole time.

Sorry about Hazel and the car. It's very frustrating. I'm going to try to get to the post office today (2 miles down the road.) Baby steps, baby steps.

#9 of 27 Old 11-12-2007, 12:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendon View Post
*hugs* I totally understand and I will admit I went back on zoloft. I hate feeling anxious and the zoloft really helps me and I use rescue remedy to help in the evening. I have set up dates with friends so I can get out and about, they are weekly, so I can get some adult chatting in while still taking care of the kids.
I'm glad the Zoloft helps, Karen. I've been thinking about it too, but waiting it out a bit. Rescue Remedy has been doing nothing for me. I think I'd have to down the whole bottle in one gulp. Glad you're getting out with friends. That's my goal for this week... DH is home on Thurs night, so I'm going to see if I can get a friend to go out with me for a bit.

#10 of 27 Old 11-12-2007, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bygones75 View Post
I'm not positive, but he's certainly acting reflux-y. Thomas had it terribly, with the projectile vomiting, etc. James may be more the silent type. But I can't feed him without him writhing for a couple hours afterwards at night. Which means walking with him upright the whole time.

Sorry about Hazel and the car. It's very frustrating. I'm going to try to get to the post office today (2 miles down the road.) Baby steps, baby steps.
DD acts "refluxy" too..I cut out milk, cheese and caffeine and it's really helping!!

I have a bit of the blues. I'm just trying to get out of the house more and get as much sleep as possible. I'm going to get new prenatals today too! I did Zoloft for about a month after DD1 was born and never again. It made me feel AWFUL!!

Hang in there..It does get better!!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#11 of 27 Old 11-12-2007, 07:28 PM

I wish we lived close by. My DH is gone a lot too, and I am alone a lot. I have depression issues too. I get so damn lonely, I just sit here and cry sometimes. I feel so embarrased to ask anyone to come over. Most of my friends don't have kids so they just aren't much comfort. I don't know many people in this town, and those I do know I am not on those terms with. The tv has been my only lifeline lately, that is so bad! DH was here all weekend it was so nice. He left this morning and I have been sad all day.

For the depression; I have tried all the natural remedies to no avail unfortunately. I had to go on Wellbutrin during my pregnancy, and will continue on it until at least this Spring. I will try to go off of it then. I won't try during the winter, because my issues get the worst then.

You aren't alone, we all have each other. I wish we could all live nearby. A giant commune type thing with families that have similar ideals, wouldn't that be cool?!
#12 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 12:27 AM

i am having a fair amount f depression and anxiety and my partner has not been away from me for more than a few hours since dmitri was born i am not sure what i would do if he was away more than he has been already.
right now i am kinda ok with him around and in some ways i do better when he is gone because i have to do better but it is so hard.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#13 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 08:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleines View Post
You aren't alone, we all have each other. I wish we could all live nearby. A giant commune type thing with families that have similar ideals, wouldn't that be cool?!
I think about that all the time. People look at me funny when I say it (unless they're a mom who's in the same situation!) We're not meant to do this alone.

I'm sorry you're feeling so sad. Wish we could hang out with a cup of tea right now. Kleines and Thomas could run around like little crazy men and we could just hold the babies and chat.

Hang in there. Sending you a big hug.

#14 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stayseeliz View Post
DD acts "refluxy" too..I cut out milk, cheese and caffeine and it's really helping!!
I cut them out too. No difference... but holding upright after his feedings for about ten minutes seems to help a bit. So maybe it is reflux. Hope he outgrows it!

#15 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonfroggy View Post
right now i am kinda ok with him around and in some ways i do better when he is gone because i have to do better but it is so hard.
I know what you mean.

#16 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 07:32 PM

Quote:
I cut them out too. No difference... but holding upright after his feedings for about ten minutes seems to help a bit. So maybe it is reflux. Hope he outgrows it!
Hazel seems to be getting better than she was a few weeks ago. She isn't spitting up as much, even though the burps sound really "wet" (ew!) still.
Is James still grunting so much at night? She is not doing it as much now and I can tell that she is trying to get gas out when she does, so I'm not as worried.
#17 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammycakes View Post
Hazel seems to be getting better than she was a few weeks ago. She isn't spitting up as much, even though the burps sound really "wet" (ew!) still.
Is James still grunting so much at night? She is not doing it as much now and I can tell that she is trying to get gas out when she does, so I'm not as worried.
It's definitely better (in terms of the grunting.) Though he's still incredibly gassy. He is the stinkiest baby! I'm hoping his tummy troubles get better as his digestive system matures. The hours of being up after he eats at night are rough.

Though... the two year old is up more often at night than James. So I should give the poor baby credit where it's due to him.

#18 of 27 Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 PM

I'm feeling on the edge of depression. DS 2 cries from about 8pm till DH gets home which is about 1am. I hate him working second shift. Plus he drives 1 hr to work and 1 hr home. I also wish that I lived in a communal type setting. I think life would be much easier. It would also be nice if DS2 didn't hate the car so bad and my house wasn't such a mess. to all the other Mamas out there.

I'm not going to jinx myself but I read a lot about block feeding and reflux and I believe our problem with DS2's crying and fussiness has been from overactive letdown and over supply. It's 10pm and he hasn't cried yet ::KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!::
#19 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 08:06 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
I'm not going to jinx myself but I read a lot about block feeding and reflux and I believe our problem with DS2's crying and fussiness has been from overactive letdown and over supply. It's 10pm and he hasn't cried yet ::KNOCKING ON WOOD!!!::
Mama.

Last night, I could *feel* how strong the the milk was coming out. And then James was up for two hours after the feeding. So I guess I need to increase the blocks.

Hope your little guy had a much better night!

#20 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippiemommie View Post
I'm feeling on the edge of depression. DS 2 cries from about 8pm till DH gets home which is about 1am. I hate him working second shift. Plus he drives 1 hr to work and 1 hr home. I also wish that I lived in a communal type setting. I think life would be much easier. It would also be nice if DS2 didn't hate the car so bad and my house wasn't such a mess. to all the other Mamas out there.

DD has a fussy period at night too. Usually from around 10:30-2:00am or so. It is wearing me OUT! And DH has to be at work at 6am so he goes to bed at10 so I'm all alone to deal with it! He would help if I asked but I figure someone needs to be getting sleep around here! Last night I swaddled her as soon as she got fussy though and kept her in the swaddle and rocked her until she fell asleep. That really helped!! Hoping that works again!

I went and bought expensive prenatals yesterday and I hope they help! I agree that we're not meant to do this alone..It's really hard!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#21 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 03:55 PM

Yeah, some days I fear I am headed down that road again. My ppd was pretty bad with Sofia, and I have been praying and hoping that it would be better this time. It has, a little. Ellen is a much easier baby than Sofia was, and that definitely helps. But I am still dealing with grief/loss issues over Amalie, wondering what she would have looked like, and what our lives would be like right now had she lived. All normal, I know, but still hard. And made harder by the fact that Sofia keeps asking when Amalie will "get out of heaven" and come join our family. Sigh.

I looked up some advice on dealing with/preventing ppd without meds. One of the biggest factors seemed to be to get enough rest. They advocated shelving housework or hiring help, as well as hiring help with childcare. Uh, yeah. Obviously written by someone who either does not have children, does not mind living in a pigsty (for me, it only adds to my depression) or who has unlimited funds or doesn't mind going way into debt for this stuff. Good grief.

Mine is better when dh is home too, which I have heard is pretty usual for ppd. As when Sofia was a baby, I find myself almost sitting on my hands some days to keep myself from calling and asking him to come home early. He has been trying to be a little extra helpful and kind to me since one morning when we got into a horrible fight and I was pretty explicit with him about what I am going through. I try not to talk to him too much about it, though as I have in the past been accused of whining or wallowing. He seems to handle it much better if he sees me struggling but doesn't hear me talk about it. Weird. Maybe its a guy thing...

(((Hugs))) to all of us. I too wish we all lived closer! How awesome would it be to be able to meet and let our older dcs run wild while we sat and relaxed and commiserated!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#22 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 08:40 PM

*hugs* mamas

I had baby blues bad, it seems to be passing. I spent so long planning my birth I really felt let down when it was all over, I just sort of crashed.

I agree with PP, letting the housework go makes it worse for me. theoretically I am "resting" on the couch surfing the net but really, getting up and cleaning up the mess really helps me feel like a) I've accomplished something and b) I don't live in a pit!

I have been trying to get out EVERY day, because DD1 is super high needs and staying at home drives her (and therefore, me) insane.

the time change hasn't helped, it gets dark so early I feel like the early evening until DH gets home just draaaaaags on.

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#23 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 09:24 PM - Thread Starter

Dena, I've been thinking about you and Amalie... how the joy we've all felt for our births must be interspersed with grief in your case. How hard for you. I think you're very brave.

I said a prayer today for you.

#24 of 27 Old 11-14-2007, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorn View Post
the time change hasn't helped, it gets dark so early I feel like the early evening until DH gets home just draaaaaags on.
I was thinking the same thing. I hate daylight savings time!! And since in my case DH doesn't usually come home at night, it's dreadful. I actually went to the park today, in the rain and gloom. Better than sitting at home, and Thomas had fun.

My mom, dad, and one of my brothers are all on call if it gets bad to visit in the 5-7 period before bedtime. That helps too.

#25 of 27 Old 11-15-2007, 12:30 AM

Daylight savings can kiss my butt! My baby seems to have some gas issues too. I think I have over active letdown. I read the article on Kellymom and we have a lot of the signs. I have tried some of the positions, but none of them were really successful for us. Lucky for me, the gas/fussy time is during the day..usually the evening. It makes it a lot harder when it is in the middle of the night. At least for me it does!

I try to get out of the house too. It is hard though, the baby seems to hate his car seat! DS1 gets really stressed by the crying too. I can't really go for much of a walk yet, still bleeding pretty badly. I have a stinking toothache that has kept us home this week. I see the dentist tomorrow and that butthead better help me!

Since we can't live in a commune unfortunately, maybe we can offer online support. I have google talk and would love to chat online. I usually sit here alone after 8m (central time). PM me if you want to chat!
#26 of 27 Old 11-15-2007, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

lol. Bonnie, I am in BED by 7:30!! It's the only way I can make it through the night!! But if that changes, you'll be hearing from me.

So tonight I tried something my friend recommended: I gave James gas drops *before* I did his first night nursing. And he went back to sleep after some grunting and squirming. No two hours of torture. Wow. Normally, I use homeopathic carbo veg with both boys, but it doesn't seem to work with James. So I'll stick with the mylacon for a while.

James hates the car seat too. Though I ordered him a mirror and I hope that it helps for the horrid car rides. Thomas is stressed by the crying too... he keeps saying, "It Ok, baby, it ok, baby!" So sad.

Well, both my kids are sleeping well tonight and I can't sleep. Figures. I'm going to go raid the fridge now...

#27 of 27 Old 11-15-2007, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Dena, I've been thinking about you and Amalie... how the joy we've all felt for our births must be interspersed with grief in your case. How hard for you. I think you're very brave.

I said a prayer today for you.
Thank you. It is hard, but I keep reminding myself that had she lived she would be going through surgeries and a lot of pain right now, and so maybe this is better. I know her spirit is still around, watching over us, and waiting until the time is right for her to join our family in bodily form, whenever that may be.

I am so glad you got a break with both kids sleeping last night! That must have been nice - even if you were wide awake. I hate when that happens! :

I agree with everyone about the time change. Darkness coming earlier just SUCKS! I walked out of the store last night at 4 freaking 30 in the afternoon and it was almost dark already. Our neighbors whose son was born in December told me it was a hard time of the year to have a newborn. Guess I should have believed her! Oh, well, given the spike in Sofia's spirited behaviors a couple of months after I got pg, if we had waited any longer, she probably would have been an only child!

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page