Cord stump - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long did it take to fall off and how did you care for it?

Noelia- mama to 4
#2 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 01:26 PM

We didn't do anything to it but keep it dry and it fell off when DD was about 2 weeks old!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#3 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 04:14 PM

We too didn't do anything but keep it dry (the one time it did get wet during a sponge bath I just dried it using the hair dryer for a minute or so) - It fell off after just a week and a half!
#4 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 04:58 PM

We did absolutely nothing and it fell off at 5 days pp. She didn't get her first bath until 2 weeks old.
#5 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 05:50 PM

We just left it alone and it fell off in about 11 days
#6 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 07:22 PM

We left Willys alone and it got all nasty! It had to be cauterized! It was so gross. It took a little over three weeks to finally heal up! DS1's did that too though. I think it is because of the way their buttons are shaped.
#7 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 07:59 PM

we did nothing and it dropped off at 9 days.

Funnily enough that was exactly the same for DS as well.
#8 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlygf View Post
We did absolutely nothing and it fell off at 5 days pp. She didn't get her first bath until 2 weeks old.
:
Same for us, except it was 4 days.
#9 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 08:45 PM

Did nothing, took a couple baths, fell off at 4 days.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#10 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 09:04 PM

We did nothing for a while (until about 8 days?) and it fell off at 9 days. That was 3 days ago and it's still bleeding. The dr. suggested using alcohol for the next week and see if it stops. If it doesn't...we'll see then.

I don't recall my other girls cords having this much of a problem.
#11 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 09:26 PM

when my DD's stump fell off there was a bit of blood.

I just kept the area clean and dry as possible and after a few days it cleared up.
#12 of 22 Old 11-12-2007, 11:50 PM

my dd's bellybutton bled for a few days after the stump fell off as well. It just kind of oozed blood but cleared up just fine.
#13 of 22 Old 11-13-2007, 12:18 AM

DD's stump fell off at 2 wks, 6 days (on Halloween!). There was a little blood but that's all. We used alcohol for the first week, then used it every few days and then nothing at all and it fell off on it's own.
#14 of 22 Old 11-13-2007, 12:22 AM

we did nothing (the midwifes kept telling us to use rubbing alcohol but we didn't) and it fell off in a little less than a week not sure if it was 5 or 6 days. it is still healing some but is looking good.

mama to two amazing children son 10/27/07 and daughter 07/07/11

#15 of 22 Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM

The midwife I talked to said that alcohol was bad and that it was an old practice. wierd how they all have their own ways I guess.

I used some umm gosh I forget the name of it... some sort of herbal antibacterial powder that I was given for it. It stains but worked wonders. DD's fell off at about a week (a little early, it got caught on something), and then was bleeding/scabbing off and on for about a week. So at about 2 weeks or so it was gone and healed and perfect. Wish I could recall what that powder was. I have used it with both of my daughters and its made an obvious visual difference in how well they've healed and stayed dry.

I gave DD her first sponge bath at about 3-4 days PP (she was born at home so that really was her first) and then the next at about 2 weeks. We dont bathe her unless her hair gets oily, which is a bout every week to week and a half so far. (she has a lot of dark brown straight hair)
#16 of 22 Old 11-13-2007, 04:57 PM

Lana's pediatrician pulled on it when she was 5 days old and I noticed it was hanging on by a thread at 6 days old so I pulled it off because it smelled so bad :
#17 of 22 Old 11-14-2007, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We did nothing this time - not at all. My older boys' both came off right at 2 wks (one used alcohol, the other that herb that I can't recall the name of, either), but Judah's came off at 1 week exactly! He did have some bleeding (on the order of spotting, if you will) for another week. We didn't do anything except wipe away dried blood periodically. Couldn't see where it was bleeding, just the little bit that would show up on the outside of his developing button.

Oh, when they get smelly, it usually means they're about to come off. That's what happened with both of my older boys. Freaked me out a bit, but off they came with no issues!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 22 Old 11-14-2007, 03:21 AM

We occasionally swabbed it with isopropanol. It fell off at about the two week mark. You really don't have to swab it with anything. It doesn't help it dry out any faster but it can keep it clean but it's not really "dirty". Its not a wound or anything so the alcohol doesn't really prevent infection or anything. I liked to wet it sometimes with the alcohol just to feel like I was doing something

Ph.D. Mama to Anaiah born 10/06/07 and Mathias born 11/14/09 and Wife to my cocoa puff DH.
My Cup Runs Over Daily!

www.becomingamommy.com

#19 of 22 Old 11-14-2007, 08:43 PM

we did nothing and it fell off at 7 days

Christine, mom to C(7.5) - E(5) - J(3) - B(10 mos)

Doula, childbirth educator, Co-leader of ICAN of Atlanta

"Never miss an opportunity to make others happy, even if you have to leave them alone in order to do it." ~Anonymous

#20 of 22 Old 11-14-2007, 10:25 PM

It smelled like death and fell off at 3 or 4 days and was icky for a while. Alcohol just seemed to irritate it so we left it alone and kept it dry, no tub baths till a he was a few weeks old & it had healed nicely.
#21 of 22 Old 11-15-2007, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justthatgirl View Post
Did nothing, took a couple baths, fell off at 4 days.
:
that's exactly our story too, though it bled a little bit. it still has a little crustiness of blood, our pediatrician said we could just leave it and it should stop soon. our mw said it would be better to leave it than keep cleaning off the dried blood. it's pretty minimal.
#22 of 22 Old 11-15-2007, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenlaana View Post
The midwife I talked to said that alcohol was bad and that it was an old practice. wierd how they all have their own ways I guess.
:

we were told not to touch it. and only give sponge baths till it fell off. Then the nurse asked how I was going to bathe him. I was like "umm sponge bath. isn't that what you just said?"

He's only gotten 3 baths, the first b/c he had dried stuff in his hair from birth, the other 2 b/c he peed on himself and his mama score so far : me 5 times dh none:

i just had him wear onsies so it wouldn't rub against anything and it fell off at 17 days.

I read in Dr Sears Baby book that an inie or outie is determined by how it heals. You Learn something new everyday.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page