Real Smiles!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-15-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This morning Sophia was wide awake and alert for a couple of hours. I was talking to her and was so surprised to see her smile at me! (she is almost 4 days old) She did this about 6 times in a short time span and was still alert and intently looking at me. When we woke up again around 10am I was telling my husband and as he was talking to her she started smiling at him! She smiled at him 4 times! I told him I was so glad she smiled for him too because who would have believed me! lol! I know newborns smile in their sleep but I remember being impressed with wide awake smiles at 2 weeks old from some of my newborns, but this seems really early.

She is a total joy and we get to see a dimple with those smiles! A totally lovey baby! We adore her so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2007, 10:17 PM

Awww! How sweet! We have smiling (and laughing too) over here also, it's awesome. Makes the sleepless nights and constantly nursed upon boobies worth it.
Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 AM

Autumn smiles at dh and I all of the time too. It is so wonderful to see and makes her look even more beautiful

Jaime, SAHM to Autumn Jane 10/07 and Alexander 12/10

Old 11-16-2007, 12:13 PM

we have smiles too! Erin tends to be her happiest in the early morning. She wakes up and just smiles and smiles. She is a happy baby in general but her morning smiles are just fantastic!

Dhjammin.gif, Me knit.gif, DD 10 REPlaySkateboard04HL.gif, DD 7 cat.gif, DD 4 joy.gif

We reading.gif, homeschool.gif, cold.gif, eat.gif, sleepytime.gif not in that order

Old 11-16-2007, 12:58 PM

we have smiles too its so sweet

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 11-16-2007, 02:05 PM

Old 11-16-2007, 03:27 PM

Primrose has been wide-awake smiling at me since birth. I love waking up at night and looking over at her and seeing her looking at me and grinning!
Old 11-27-2007, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

She was almost 4 days old with those first real awake smiles and no awake laughing yet. She is almost 16 days old now. But, there is something I am curious about. Why do newborns laugh in their sleep? It seems they go through a whole range of emotions when they are in that sort of rem sleep stage. It just seems amazing to hear her laugh in her sleep. Does anyone know how or why newborns do this? I guess it seems puzzling that they would know how to laugh.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:43 AM

wow, you have one advanced baby leslie! that must feel so great to provoke a smile! don't know about the laugh, thing, sorry. we're still working on provoking the non-sleeping smiles and we're getting small smirks so far! we spotted a dimple last week!
Old 12-01-2007, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyBabyBean View Post
. Why do newborns laugh in their sleep? It seems they go through a whole range of emotions when they are in that sort of rem sleep stage. It just seems amazing to hear her laugh in her sleep. Does anyone know how or why newborns do this? I guess it seems puzzling that they would know how to laugh.

I often wonder what's so funny. I mean, not much life experience to dream about, you know? We like to say it's left over from her past life, but really, I have no idea at all.
Maybe they're just testing everything.

User Tag List