Something like 6-8 weeks?

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#2 of 11 Old 11-16-2007, 01:17 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Yeah, I think dd1 was smiling at around six weeks, if I remember correctly.

Ellen has smiled since day 2 of life, but she is usually not looking at anyone when she does, so I think it is just a general feeling of well being smile. Or maybe gas. Which, when I pass it, makes me smile...

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#3 of 11 Old 11-16-2007, 10:16 AM

I guess like everything it varies, mine has been smiling at me when I'm talking, or at his big brother, since about 2 weeks, I'm pretty sure with #1 it was around 3 weeks.

Of course, this is rare, usually if he's awake, he's crying
#4 of 11 Old 11-16-2007, 11:59 AM

tristan smiled right at 4 weeks- he was born on th 1st and smiled at daddy in the 28th

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
#5 of 11 Old 11-16-2007, 01:04 PM

reece is smiling at daddy and me just within the last couple of days. this is a new development, cuz stinky mcstinkerson was previously smiling and giggling only in his sleep (totally adorable, i might add!!)

dena, that totally made me laugh~ on the same token, i got a call from my sister last night. my 3 year old niece was eating dinner in their kitchen, and my sister stepped out of the room to attend to the 1 year old. she hears ellie laughing and laughing in the kitchen. she walks back in to see what is sooo funny. my niece is more than willing to let her in on the joke...

"it tickles my bum when i toot, mom!!!"

no wonder they smile! :
#6 of 11 Old 11-17-2007, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Judah started smiling some around 3wks, and at 4 weeks it was more obvious. By 5 weeks he was smiling up a storm, and still is at 7 weeks!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#7 of 11 Old 11-18-2007, 01:53 AM - Thread Starter

Eidie's 8 weeks on Tuesday and still no real social smiles. She looks like she wants to (kind of smiles, nothing real obvious), but then will inevitably barf directly after making that face. She's 4 weeks old, adjusted, and in every way looks/acts like a 2mo except no smiling yet.

Kristina in Kitsap County, WA
Doula, Student Midwife, Mama, Wife & More
http://redspiral.blogspot.com
#8 of 11 Old 11-18-2007, 12:09 PM

Ds1 was around 5 or 6 wks, ds2 was 3 wks old. Niklas is 14 days today and started giving me a few little grins here and there yesterday. I'm so in love:
#9 of 11 Old 11-18-2007, 09:23 PM

dd is 5 weeks and no kidding she's been socially smiling since day two, making eye contact and smiling in response to me talking to her. i'm loving it! ds, now three, began very early also but later than dd.
#10 of 11 Old 11-19-2007, 01:49 PM

both my kids started smiling socially at 4 weeks
#11 of 11 Old 11-20-2007, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seekingtruth View Post
dd is 5 weeks and no kidding she's been socially smiling since day two, making eye contact and smiling in response to me talking to her. i'm loving it! ds, now three, began very early also but later than dd.
all thee of my children were like this - the newest has even 'chuckled' numerous times when i play with him since week 3. i have no idea why there is a myth that newborns can't/don't smile socially, just as i have no idea why researchers say children do not have object permanence for so long. even before i had kids when i learned that in college that i disagreed that babies were so 'incapable'.

My midwife suggested that it was because babies were not treated nicely for so long (drugs during labor, rough treatment during birth) that there is the pervasive myth that babies don't smile - i guess, but wouldn't the drugs wear off by a few days?....

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page