Update to my "not liking DH much" thread. New developments - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
UPDATE TIME....
DH and I were getting to our wits end. The screaming was getting bad and the puking was getting worse. You would no sooner finish a feed, sit her up to burp, then she would puke up what she ate and so much more.
The day after Thanksgiving we took her to the ER at the Childrens Hospital because she was dehydrated and had now gone 12+ hrs without anything to eat. They did an u/s on the baby and diagnosed a Pyloric Stenosis. Basically the band of muscle at the bottom of the stomach that controls the flow of food out of the stomach to the bowels had become big and thick and was not allowing the stomach to empty.
So my sweet little girl had surgery at 5wks of age to correct this problem. She went in at 10a and was done by 1030am. She did so well during surgery and afterward. By 8pm she was allowed to start eating and kept everything down and NO PUKING! We were released from the hospital Sunday at 6pm and by 7 she had her first huge poo since Thursday.
She is so calm and peaceful right now, she is a whole different baby.

Anyone know of someone with this kind of surgery and how they are doing long term?
#2 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 03:00 PM

Oh, I'm so glad they figured out what was wrong and corrected it!

My friend's boy had the surgery over a year ago and is doing great now.

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#3 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 03:58 PM

so sorry mama! I am so glad she is feeling better now, how stressful for you though. what a relief that she is eating and pooping once again! that is awesome. amazing the little things we take for granted....
#4 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 06:04 PM

That's so exciting you found out what was wrong! Good luck with everything and hopefully she will heal well.
#5 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 06:18 PM

Oh, I am so glad you found a cause to the problem, even if it required surgery. That must have been so terrifying for you!!

Hope her recovery continues to be smooth and things just keep getting better.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#6 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 06:25 PM

Lurking here...

My niece jst had surgery for this a few weeks ago. Apparently it's very rare in girls. She's doing great now too. But OMG! She was so unhappy there for a few weeks.

My DH had pyloric stenosis when he was a baby and he's been fine ever since. Another adult friend of mine had it too. Their scars are pretty big though now because it grew with them. But they do the surgery totally differently now so your dd shouldn't have that problem.

I'm glad you have a happy baby now!
#7 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackray View Post
Lurking here...

My niece jst had surgery for this a few weeks ago. Apparently it's very rare in girls. She's doing great now too. But OMG! She was so unhappy there for a few weeks.

My DH had pyloric stenosis when he was a baby and he's been fine ever since. Another adult friend of mine had it too. Their scars are pretty big though now because it grew with them. But they do the surgery totally differently now so your dd shouldn't have that problem.

I'm glad you have a happy baby now!
Hey, my DH had this too. He had surgery at 6 weeks and was fine thereafter. MIL described his vomiting as projectile rockets reaching up to 10 feet at times!
Anyway, 36 years later he is doing just fine. All that's left to remind him is a lovely 1 inch scar on his abdomen and one on his ankle from the IV.

Darcy mama to Dillon, Marah and Leo, partner to Jeremy
#8 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 07:14 PM

WOW. I am so glad she's ok now and you were able to figure it out so soon.

upsidedown.gif  Please see my Community Profile! energy.gif blogging.jpg about Asperger's Syndrome!

#9 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 08:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So glad you were able to get her properly diagnosed and treated! Pyloric Stenosis is scary. We had my 2nd DS tested for it at 6wks, but his was fine - just a big refluxer. (Chiro helped a ton!)

I know there's a Sept baby - Oscar - who had it, too. I think the mama is sanguine_speed. But if you post on the Life with Babe forum perhaps you can find others!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#10 of 11 Old 11-26-2007, 09:08 PM

Smudge - I am so sorry that your DD's problem was so severe that it could only be repaired by surgery but I am so glad that they found the problem and fixed it.

So glad that your DD is happy now
#11 of 11 Old 11-27-2007, 03:12 PM

You must have been so worried. That is great that they were able to fix it and that she is doing well!

:,,:, to my three veggie ladies 12/09/05, : 10/03/07 & 07/10/09 hanging on for dear life to :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page