Anyone flying w/LO for holidays? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-11-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mom is pressuring me to fly to see her and the family (and everyone who wants to meet Maya) for Christmas. Maya will be 8 wks @ Dec 25th, and it is overwhelming to think of flying with her, even on a short 1.5 hr flight. I mean, pack the diaper bag, the breast pump, make sure I have a cover-up, lug my luggage, etc.

Whew!

But am I being crazy and somewhat selfish? Is it really not that hard to fly with an infant?

Would you do it? ARE you doing it?

btw, this would me just me and the baby. My DH has to work.
#2 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 01:21 AM

I just did. DD and I are at my mom's. DH is out of the country for business and I wanted to be with my mom while he was gone. The flight was pretty easy. I had a friend take us to the airport and didn't take a car seat (mom had one).

I put dd in a sling and nursed her during the flight. She was so quiet that passengers told me they didn't know she was on the plane when we were getting off.

Good luck, it probably won't be that bad.
#3 of 6 Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 AM

Not only am I flying with the newborn who will be 2 months, but I'm also flying with my 2.7 year old, both of whom will want to nurse for the take-off...yikes! I'm hoping to get the whole row for myself...maybe I should pump a bottle for one of them...

my DH can't fly as it causes seizures for him, so i'll always be doing the flying by myself, or with another family member/friend....he's taking a 25 hour train ride which will be no picnic either!fortunately we got a nonstop and it's only 2 hours. my inlaws will take us and watch the kids while I check us in. I also had my mom borrow car seats from friends so we don't have to cart those around the airport.

I am a little nervous, but definitely want to be with family for the holidays and my little bro is getting married. Yay!

Go for it, you'll do great mama!

Good luck with the decision.
#4 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 01:31 PM

I'm planning on flying with my baby at 3 months in Jan to visit a friend. dh and both ds's will stay home. they'll drop me off and I'm hoping to have the least amount of luggage as possible, carry her in the sling and hopefully be able to lug the car seat.
Good luck. I think it would be easier with a newborn than with older kids because you can just nurse them and they can sleep. Mine will be a 3 hour flight, non-stop
#5 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 01:40 PM

Not in your ddc but wanted to reply b/c I've flown a lot with my dd. I have to say that our cross-country trip at 7wks old was by far the easiest. Are you exclusively pumping? that may make a difference b/c whenever she peeped I just nursed her (sorry if this is a sensitive subject as I don't know your history). Also what about transportation to and from the airport? If you can get dropped off and picked up and check at the curb (and check almost everything) it should be fine.
Since she became mobile....omg nightmare. She doesn't want to sit for any length of time at all....she's good in the car but something about the plane...i dunno.
At the 7wk trip I was mostly freaked about infection/germs... I brought wipes and cleaned every inch of our seating area and then used Purell constantly.
Anyhow, if you want to go ..if you *want to* then I think it would be much easier than you think.
Ok, sorry to butt in but hth.
#6 of 6 Old 12-13-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like it's not that bad. Although the point is moot because now my DH is coming along.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page