school in guanajuato or cuernavaca? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 06-20-2009, 01:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
we'll be spending half of 2010 in guanajuato or cuernavaca. any suggestions on how to approach school for a 1st grader? we'd love to have her in a school where she's with spanish-speaking kids...
#2 of 15 Old 06-20-2009, 11:40 PM

where in guanajuato?
there is the escuela los charcos which is a great waldorf school in guanajuato city.

earth.gif trottin', pole dancing, Norway and Sweden lovin' , hippie.gif,WOHM Kiddos born waterbirth.jpg 12/11/06 and 08/09/08 
belly.gif with #3 puke.gif EDD:01/2013 yikes2.gif So in love loveeyes.gif with my sweet Swede 2twins.gif and my bonus-son 10/25/98 carrot.gif

#3 of 15 Old 06-29-2009, 02:01 AM - Thread Starter

los charcos is in San Miguel, but there is Colegio Yeccan, another Waldorf, in gto city. Do you know anything about it or anyone who has sent their kids there? Sounds promising...
#4 of 15 Old 07-23-2009, 11:29 AM

the best waldorf is in cuernavaca, if you´re interested. being a big city, there are all types of schools there, just like d.f. you´ll have to look around a lot, but i´m suer you´ll find something good!
#5 of 15 Old 09-08-2009, 08:24 PM

Cuerna has the Montesorri de Tepoztlan (it's not actually in Tepoztlan anymore and it's one of the few Montesorri schools in the world that has elementary through high school. My brother and sister went there for the last two years (high school age) and loved it.

Still madly in stillheart.gif with jb after 10 years and chasing after my precocious toddler jog.gif    

***joy.gif***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36***40    computergeek2.gif westphillymama.com

#6 of 15 Old 10-30-2009, 01:04 AM

AS OF MARCH 17, 2010 I AM PRESENTLY HOMESCHOOLING MY SON AND AS A RESULT, I NO LONGER HAVE TIME TO RESPOND OR ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT GUANAJUATO OR COLEGIO YECCAN- BUT KNOW THAT WE LOVED OUR TIME THERE, SO I WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK.... violette

My elementary age son attended Colegio Yeccan from November 2008- May 2009. We will be heading back again in a few weeks. The school recently moved from their location off Boulevard Guanajuato ( on top edge of the "bowl" in Guanajuato proper ) to a more rural location 20 minutes outside the city, to a town called Puentecillas -

I'd be happy to help anyone with information about Colegio Yeccan Waldorf.
It is a very sweet school. Classes are presented in Spanish. This may seem daunting, but I have seen first hand how rapidly children learn Spanish and also how they creatively "improvise" with body language and sounds as they go! There is also an English and German class 1x week.

At any given time in the last 2 years, there is at least 6 gringo families from the US, Canada or Europe attending at any given time.

Among the foreigners, there is always a spirit of willingness to help new foreigners get the scoop and get settled!
#7 of 15 Old 10-31-2009, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by violette View Post
My elementary age son attended Colegio Yeccan from November 2008- May 2009. We will be heading back again in a few weeks. The school recently moved from their location off Boulevard Guanajuato ( on top edge of the "bowl" in Guanajuato proper ) to a more rural location 20 minutes outside the city, to a town called Puentecillas -

I'd be happy to help anyone with information about Colegio Yeccan Waldorf.
It is a very sweet school. Classes are presented in Spanish. This may seem daunting, but I have seen first hand how rapidly children learn Spanish and also how they creatively "improvise" with body language and sounds as they go! There is also an English and German class 1x week.

At any given time in the last 2 years, there is at least 6 gringo families from the US, Canada or Europe attending at any given time.

Among the foreigners, there is always a spirit of willingness to help new foreigners get the scoop and get settled!
I'd love any help/input you can give about Colegio Yeccan! I have been in touch back and forth with Michelle there, who has been lovely, and she has been forwarding my messages to the 1st grade teacher, but I haven't heard anything back. Mostly I just want to know if they have room for my daughter and if they will accept her midyear. If yes, then we absolutely want her to go there. I have talked with a few other families who have sent their kids there and all had great things to say. And we'd love the opportunity for a Waldorf experience, as there is no Waldorf school where we live. Any advice on who else I'd need to talk to, and whether there is any information/payment/etc. they need before we arrive? It's my understanding school starts again after the holidays on Jan. 11, and we won't arrive in GTO until probably Jan. 4. Thanks so much for your message - I hope we'll get to meet!
#8 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 12:55 AM

We are considering living in Guanajuato so my son can attend the Waldorf school there and learn spanish and so I can do medical work, do you know of anyone who might be helpful in making work contacts and what is the best way to contact the school? I'm not turning up much with internet searches so far. Thank you.
#9 of 15 Old 11-05-2009, 01:00 AM

We are interested in moving to Guanajuato so my son can attend the Waldorf school there and so I can do medical work, do you know of anyone there who could help with work contacts or how best to contact the school? I haven't had much luck with internet searches.
#10 of 15 Old 11-06-2009, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch View Post
We are interested in moving to Guanajuato so my son can attend the Waldorf school there and so I can do medical work, do you know of anyone there who could help with work contacts or how best to contact the school? I haven't had much luck with internet searches.
Gretch-
When are you planning on arriving in Guanajuato? Maybe we'll cross paths... I have been in contact several times with Michelle at Colegio Yeccan, and she is very nice, very helpful, and has good English - I'm not sure if she's a native speaker or not as we've only communicated via e-mail. Anyway, she used to handle all the communications with English-speaking parents, but she apparently is trying to ease out of that role as she is a grades teacher, as well. She has been forwarding my messages to the primary teacher, but I haven't heard anything back from him yet. We hope to start there in January. The school e-mail is cyeccanw@hotmail.com. FYI - Yeccan used to be right in the main part of town, but they have recently moved to what I assume is a suburban-type area about 20 minutes outside of GTO.

Just curious, what kind of medical work do you plan to do? My husband is a nurse, and he is hoping to do some volunteer, or even paid if possible, work while we're down there.
#11 of 15 Old 11-17-2009, 09:57 PM

We would go fall 2010 most likely. I am a doctor so would be looking for general practice positions in a clinic or hospital. Thank you for the school email. Please be in touch if you find a volunteer position and I'll let you know as well.
#12 of 15 Old 01-18-2010, 01:58 PM

AS OF MARCH 17, 2010 I AM PRESENTLY HOMESCHOOLING MY SON AND AS A RESULT, I NO LONGER HAVE TIME TO RESPOND OR ANSWER QUESTIONS ABOUT GUANAJUATO OR COLEGIO YECCAN- BUT KNOW THAT WE LOVED OUR TIME THERE, SO I WISH EVERYONE THE BEST OF LUCK.... violette
#13 of 15 Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 AM - Thread Starter

Violette-
I will e-mail you at your gmail address, because we need to connect. I think we will be neighbors soon, up at Helena's house, as well!
#14 of 15 Old 05-14-2010, 02:39 AM

Hello,
I am planning on traveling to either Guanajuato or Cuernavaca to study spanish in a 3 week intensive program with my toddler girl, 17 months (she'll be 20 months when we travel). I want to study in GTO but I am concerned with the City being too vertical for a toddler? I am looking at renting a home through VRBO that would accomodate us (with nanny and mother in law). I will be in classes for 6 hours a day and want my daughter to be able to safely explore with her grandma or the nanny (without me worrying). Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!! Could Cuernavaca be more ideal for our situation? I know it is larger and more spread out but maybe flat is a better way to go? Please help!
#15 of 15 Old 03-08-2011, 04:59 PM

Hi, I read the posts on the subject of Yuccan Waldorf.  My husband and I are considering moving our family to Guanajuato for a year & we have three children in Waldorf school here in Oregon.  Just wondering if you made it to Mexico, how things are going, etc.  If you have any feedback about the school, I'd appreciate hearing it!  Warmly, Stephanie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page