Opportunity to move to Puebla Mexico - lots of questions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 11-25-2009, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DH works for a German owned company. We are American. Three years ago we lived in Germany for 2 years. It was awesome and difficult at the same time. The cultural differences and the language made things difficult at times. Overall I loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone.

So, today my DH sends me an email asking me if I would be willing to move to Puebla for either 6 or 12 months. I've never been there. I mean, I've been to Mexico before, but Cozumel for vacation isn't even close to what living there would be like. Neither DH nor I speak Spanish and we have 2 little boys. Will the language be a huge problem? Is it safe for us to move there? I want to be able to walk to the market, take the kids to a park, have DS go to preschool basically all our normal activities.

Housing and a car would be provided for us, so money wouldn't be a concern.

I don't even know what questions I should be asking. I would love to hear any thoughts you have about this.

mama to   broc1.gif DS 6/06 and banana.gif DS 4/08
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 11-26-2009, 04:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm from the UK but have lived in Mexico for over 13 years and my daughter (now 3) was born here. I have lived in Oaxaca and Veracruz, and have been to Puebla on several occasions. I'm sure you'll find it to be a wonderful experience. Learning a little Spanish beforehand would help you along the way undoubtedly. Mexico is very family orientated and so life with kids is easy. Lots of parks have weekend activities for the children, and you will find bilingual schools an option in Puebla, although immersing the kids in an all Spanish kindergarten has its pros (and cons depending largely on the personality and age of your kids). Most foreigners find Mexico a very welcoming place and Puebla in particular should be a fairly easy place to adapt to culturally and you will indeed be able to walk to the market and take the kids to the park etc.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page