Why are all "Expats in Mexico" forums a barren wasteland? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 12-23-2010, 09:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

For a few years now, I've had this habit of occasionally checking in on this FYT forum to see if there's been an increase in activity.  I'm always a little disappointed to see that the most recent post went up months before... But the thing is that I always figured that the community I was looking for--U.S. expats in Mexico who are mothers AND into AP topics AND communicate regularly via Internet--was just too specialized.

But here's the thing--my husband and I have recently become newly committed to moving to Mexico sometime in the next 3 years and I've started to look for other kinds of expat forums... not necessarily family-focused or having anything to do with AP parenting at all.  I just want to see evidence of families living abroad in Mexico happily and successfully.  Unfortunately, it seems like most everything I've found either 1) never got off the ground, 2) was active, but hasn't had activity since, like, 2006, or 3) is populated almost entirely by retirees living their retirement out in Mexico.

Is there any good place to connect with families living abroad in Mexico?  Where are the active expat forums?

#2 of 24 Old 12-25-2010, 09:46 AM

I don't know either but let me know if you find one! Maybe start PMing people who have posted here to start a conversation?

#3 of 24 Old 12-26-2010, 08:54 PM

I am an expat living in mexico and always check into allvallarta.com and vallartascene.com

I wouldn´t say they are family-oriented websites, but you will get a wealth of info about living in Mexico.

#4 of 24 Old 12-27-2010, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies!  Mexicali mami, I'll admit that I've considered PM'ing the frequent posters here.  The trouble is that we're just starting to formulate a plan, so what I'm needing is more like inspiration than factual knowledge... Also, I tend to feel like there are lots and lots of people who say they have "thought about" moving abroad--I'd feel flaky asking someone to share their time and expertise with me personally simply because "I'm thinking about" something...  ;)

Veronique, I'm really impressed to see how active the vallartascene forums are--very cool!  Maybe the trick is to find region-specific boards?  Out of curiosity, how long have you been in Puerta Vallarta?  Do you work there?  (Sorry--can't help but ask...)

Also, I thought I should post info on some "mama-in-Mexico" blogs a good friend recently shared with me (the notes are hers).

www.home-sweet-mexico.com (the one with the e-book)
http://rosas-standring.blogspot.com/ (family that lives in Tulum. she also has links to a TON of other ex-pat family blogs!)

Thanks again!

Kathy

Veronique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronique View Post

I am an expat living in mexico and always check into allvallarta.com and vallartascene.com

I wouldn´t say they are family-oriented websites, but you will get a wealth of info about living in Mexico.

#5 of 24 Old 12-31-2010, 05:32 PM

we plan on living there part time eventually. as of now we can just afford to go a couple months at a time. dh cannot miss work and we have yet to formulate our plan to get some income there. we do already have a home so that part is taken care of... oh and it is outside of morelia.

mama to one '07 and one '09
#6 of 24 Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Lookatreestar, so do you have any ideas about what you would do for work in Morelia?   This is the area where we're having the hardest time getting ideas...  and since his parents still depend on us earning an income (v. dedicating ourselves to their traditional subsistence farming lifestyle), we know we have to figure that piece out!

BTW, our current "Mexican home" is in a small pueblo in Guerrero.  However, we know that if we move to MX, we will inevitably live in a city and not the pueblo (primarily because of work and school). 

#7 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 10:06 AM

i have no clue i am always trying to think of ideas... dh used to want to do a store in his tiny town but logistically it wasn't happening. my dh is a chef by trade so he was also thinking restaurant butj just like here you need to have a solid good/simple menu and a following to really make it work. we are also supporting family there so going without income isn't possible. 

#8 of 24 Old 01-08-2011, 06:54 PM

My partner grew up in Mexico and we've been seriously talking about going back, or to another foreign country, for a few years now. Our son is 3.5 and our daughter is three months. It's really important to us that they speak at least one other language fluently. My man is a native spanish speaker and that is a huge bonus in finding work in Latin America.

We returned from the Cabo/San Jose are recently and I did meet an AP/NFL Canadian mama there who had moved down for her husband's work. One thing I know about Mexico is that internet can be unreliable, so while the ex-pat communities are prolific, many may be somewhat off-the-radar either by choice or from a general lack of regular internet, depending on where they are.

#9 of 24 Old 01-12-2011, 09:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riomidwife View PostOne thing I know about Mexico is that internet can be unreliable, so while the ex-pat communities are prolific, many may be somewhat off-the-radar either by choice or from a general lack of regular internet, depending on where they are.

Riomidwife, this has actually been my strongest suspicion--I know that, even in the city closest to my DH's hometown (homepueblo?), Internet connections are slow and shaky.  They're there, but, for instance, you rarely get a satellite connection. 

I hate to think, though, that we just have to dive in headfirst to find these things out for ourselves... in person... Kind of scary for a person who likes to have things planned out well in advance...

#10 of 24 Old 01-18-2011, 12:18 PM

I'm an expat mama who lives in Mexico.  I've lived here for over six years and had both of my children since living here.  I have also posted in this forum but the response is so limited that it has discourage me from posting. 

Please pm me at anytime with any questions.  We are a bicultural family and have dealt with most if not all of the "typical" issues to our local. 

Hope you can find what you are looking for!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#11 of 24 Old 01-19-2011, 09:28 PM

where do you guys live around, we visit around morelia nod.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post

I'm an expat mama who lives in Mexico.  I've lived here for over six years and had both of my children since living here.  I have also posted in this forum but the response is so limited that it has discourage me from posting. 

Please pm me at anytime with any questions.  We are a bicultural family and have dealt with most if not all of the "typical" issues to our local. 

Hope you can find what you are looking for!

#12 of 24 Old 01-22-2011, 07:16 PM - Thread Starter

sraplayas, I've been a fan of yours for a long time now!  There are a few of you who are clearly "doing the thing" (living in Mexico) and have really great, substantial comments to add to any threads started on here....  Thanks for that! 

And thank you for the invitation to pm you--I think that, I will definitely want to do so when we get a little further along in our planning.

One thing I saw you mention on a separate thread was something about organic food... and homeschoolers...  This is the kind of thing I can't find anything about online.  Are there communities where organic farmer's markets are valued and homeschooling is not a wildly uncommon practice? 

Oops--guess I had a question after all...  orngtongue.gif

#13 of 24 Old 02-04-2011, 08:23 PM

We did a short-term move to MX, 6 months in Guanajuato, and since it was such a short time we considered homeschooling our 1st-grade daughter. We ended up putting her in a Waldorf school instead, but every time I mentioned our alternative plan to a Mexican I definitely got a blank stare and was even asked a few times if such a thing was legal in the US. I don't know if this was a typical response, but homeschooling in Mexico did seem pretty rare in general. Most of the homeschoolers I heard about or came across in MX were Americans or Canadians, but even they seemed a few and far between. Maybe because school is one of the fastest ways to fluency for little people, and a priority for a lot of expat families? I'm not really sure. As far as organic food, I saw a things labeled as "organic" in the big groceries, but they were really expensive, usually from far away, and I always like the little mercados better. I don't know exactly how those small-scale farmers grew their stuff, but I did raise the question with a few Mexican friends and their feeling was that most of the little family farmers were probably pretty close to organic, just because they did things the old fashioned way. They said a lot of their savvy foodie friends will not shop in the big grocery stores (Soriana, Comercial, etc.) for various reasons, but mostly because the produce is factory farmed and the meat has weird hormones/antibiotics/etc. Seems like a pretty reasonable theory to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihathi View Post

sraplayas, I've been a fan of yours for a long time now!  There are a few of you who are clearly "doing the thing" (living in Mexico) and have really great, substantial comments to add to any threads started on here....  Thanks for that! 

And thank you for the invitation to pm you--I think that, I will definitely want to do so when we get a little further along in our planning.

One thing I saw you mention on a separate thread was something about organic food... and homeschoolers...  This is the kind of thing I can't find anything about online.  Are there communities where organic farmer's markets are valued and homeschooling is not a wildly uncommon practice? 

Oops--guess I had a question after all...  orngtongue.gif

#14 of 24 Old 02-13-2011, 09:19 PM

Mexico is full of ex-pats with young kids. Not sure why they aren't out there blogging or posting threads on forums about it. Perhaps they are too busy enjoying the sunshine! I have lived in Mexico for 15 years and for the last 4 of them have been an AP/Waldorf mum of 1. Mexico is very much a place where things should be taken day by day. Trying to plan ahead is rather like swimming upstream here, just doesn't go with the flow of life. You will find once here that there are lots of foreign families. From my own 15 years of experience, many stay temporarily, that is a few years, and head back home. Those who stay longer rarely stick to the ex-pat communities and perhaps that is why such online forums are a barren wasteland. At the same time, this is a land where word of month is the best way to acquire whatever help or information you need. If you want to know about renting property, start asking around in the local stores rather than doing a search online. If you want to know about which schools are good, don't attempt to track down online reviews, rather ask around (alot!). This is also a place where people will attempt to answer your questions in order to help you, and if that means offering not very accurate answers, then they will give preference to helping you rather than assuring the answers are accurate! One thing that definitely affects the type of experience you might having when moving to Mexico is where your income will come from. Many expats organize life so as to move to Mexico with a foreign income still flowing into the bank account. The experience is quite different when you actually come and live on pesos. Also, within Mexico there is plenty of variety. The further south you go, the more you encounter the indigenous flavour of the land, such as in Oaxaca. Climates vary greatly. Landscapes too. There is indeed a lot of variety in Mexico. As for homeschooling and organic markets... homeschooling is a new thing here, still in its infancy. It is legal, but culturally there is an expectation for kids to enter the school system. Indeed, many of the homeschoolers are foreigners. There is also a fairly strong community of Christian families homeschooling which includes many Mexicans. Organic markets exist where I live (Oaxaca) and I think you'll find they exist in many places but again are best located by asking around. When in doubt, resort to the word-of-mouth strategy!

#15 of 24 Old 02-16-2011, 12:20 PM

QiMom--thanks for your thoughtful and informative comments. :)

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#16 of 24 Old 02-25-2011, 08:27 PM

I´m in Mexico D.F., not an expat...lived 10 years in the states when I was a kid...but I lived away from Mexico for almost 30years so I understand!

#17 of 24 Old 03-03-2011, 06:53 PM

Hi!  How did you feel about guanajuato?  It's one of the places my husband and I are considering moving to with our 2 sons in a year and a half. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamadeuna View Post

We did a short-term move to MX, 6 months in Guanajuato, and since it was such a short time we considered homeschooling our 1st-grade daughter. We ended up putting her in a Waldorf school instead, but every time I mentioned our alternative plan to a Mexican I definitely got a blank stare and was even asked a few times if such a thing was legal in the US. I don't know if this was a typical response, but homeschooling in Mexico did seem pretty rare in general. Most of the homeschoolers I heard about or came across in MX were Americans or Canadians, but even they seemed a few and far between. Maybe because school is one of the fastest ways to fluency for little people, and a priority for a lot of expat families? I'm not really sure. As far as organic food, I saw a things labeled as "organic" in the big groceries, but they were really expensive, usually from far away, and I always like the little mercados better. I don't know exactly how those small-scale farmers grew their stuff, but I did raise the question with a few Mexican friends and their feeling was that most of the little family farmers were probably pretty close to organic, just because they did things the old fashioned way. They said a lot of their savvy foodie friends will not shop in the big grocery stores (Soriana, Comercial, etc.) for various reasons, but mostly because the produce is factory farmed and the meat has weird hormones/antibiotics/etc. Seems like a pretty reasonable theory to me...

Bilingual mama to DS J 6/4/06 and new DS C 9/27/10  homebirth.jpg
#18 of 24 Old 03-07-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post, QiMom!  I would have seen it sooner had we not been in MX, visiting my in-laws.  Very valuable information...  And everything you say about the value of word-of-mouth makes sense, but it's such a hard reality for me to accept! The trouble is that we have specific financial concerns (i.e., how will we continue to support my ILs and educate my DC if we move out of the US?) that we'd love to know will be "okay" in spite of a move across the border.  If we didn't have kids or aging parents, it would be so much easier (or at least less scary) to dive into life in MX w/o a clear roadmap already drawn up! 

Re: Mexican agriculture, I would warn everyone here about trusting too deeply that small-scale campesinos in Mexico are still growing food the "natural way." This is what I thought the first couple of times I went down and visited my DH's family in Gro. (all of whom farm).  The fact is that they, themselves, would claim that they still used "natural" methods.  When I talked about work I did in the States with "organic" ag, they would claim that that is what they had always done and would always do.  However, by the time I came for a third visit (and especially when we went down to live for a year), it became clear that small-scale farmers in my DH's region are actually practice a highly chemically-intensive manner of growing crops and they are perfectly comfortable using copious amounts of pesticide to protect fruits. 

It hasn't been this way for long.  When my DH was growing up, everyone in his pueblo still grew corn/beans/calabasas in a manner that revitalized the soil (i.e. through companion planting) and they respected that fields needed fallow time to rejuvinate.  Crop rotation was standard.  Now, a system of corn subsidies and govn't-funded fertilizer programs for farmers big and small have pretty much assured that nobody is choosing "the natural way" anymore. The result has been devastating monoculture farming (my own FIL has now grown corn-just corn-on the same field for 13 years in a row--you can only do this by adopting a highly unnatural, chemical-intensive system of ag).  It's also worth noting that a good number of pesticides and herbicides that are still used regularly in Mexico are prohibited for use in the U.S. 

In any event, there are a choice few things grown in my DH's pueblo that are still not sprayed, mostly in the orchards (i.e., bananas, lemons and ciruelas), but mangos, oranges, and field crops are definitely sprayed and with virtually no concern for potential health risks related to these toxins. 

What I think is really interesting about this is how, to this day, DH's family calls their style of farming "natural."  I guess it's because they still do it by hand?  Because they're standing out there in the field sprinkling the fertilizer on the ground and spraying the weeds rather than sitting in a tractor or spraying from an airplane?

Sorry for the rant--it's just that I so wish I could trust that buying at local markets in Mexico would be akin to "buying organic," but my experience suggests that this just isn't always so!

-Kathy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QiMom View Post

Mexico is full of ex-pats with young kids. Not sure why they aren't out there blogging or posting threads on forums about it. Perhaps they are too busy enjoying the sunshine! I have lived in Mexico for 15 years and for the last 4 of them have been an AP/Waldorf mum of 1. Mexico is very much a place where things should be taken day by day. Trying to plan ahead is rather like swimming upstream here, just doesn't go with the flow of life. You will find once here that there are lots of foreign families. From my own 15 years of experience, many stay temporarily, that is a few years, and head back home. Those who stay longer rarely stick to the ex-pat communities and perhaps that is why such online forums are a barren wasteland. At the same time, this is a land where word of month is the best way to acquire whatever help or information you need. If you want to know about renting property, start asking around in the local stores rather than doing a search online. If you want to know about which schools are good, don't attempt to track down online reviews, rather ask around (alot!). This is also a place where people will attempt to answer your questions in order to help you, and if that means offering not very accurate answers, then they will give preference to helping you rather than assuring the answers are accurate! One thing that definitely affects the type of experience you might having when moving to Mexico is where your income will come from. Many expats organize life so as to move to Mexico with a foreign income still flowing into the bank account. The experience is quite different when you actually come and live on pesos. Also, within Mexico there is plenty of variety. The further south you go, the more you encounter the indigenous flavour of the land, such as in Oaxaca. Climates vary greatly. Landscapes too. There is indeed a lot of variety in Mexico. As for homeschooling and organic markets... homeschooling is a new thing here, still in its infancy. It is legal, but culturally there is an expectation for kids to enter the school system. Indeed, many of the homeschoolers are foreigners. There is also a fairly strong community of Christian families homeschooling which includes many Mexicans. Organic markets exist where I live (Oaxaca) and I think you'll find they exist in many places but again are best located by asking around. When in doubt, resort to the word-of-mouth strategy!

#19 of 24 Old 03-08-2011, 06:54 PM

ithati--so true about "natural"--we have to be really careful.  Even what is called Organic needs to be questioned just to make sure but there definitely is that available if you look hard. :)  (In our area)

I hope that your trip went well!  I'm sorry that I didn't get back to your last pm. :(  Did you just go to South Mx? 

#20 of 24 Old 03-09-2011, 09:50 PM

I understand your concerns Ihathi. I arrived in Mexico fresh out of university with neither kids nor elderly parents to consider at the time. Now I have both and it really does change things. By the way, I think you hit the nail on the head when you say there is a belief that farming by hand is "natural". The thing is that there is so little awareness of the toxic effects of pollutants. There is a belief that if it is available on the market, then it must be ok. However, the same belief exists around the world, the products vary, that is all.

Sounds like a shortlist of possible places would help you get some tangible information on moving to Mexico and place you in a better starting point.

#21 of 24 Old 03-12-2011, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, sraplayas!  Our trip to MX went really, really well, but, yes, we only went to my ILs in Guerrero.  The trip involves 14 hours of travel and I was alone with my 2 y/o and 5 y/o--once we got to the pueblo, I wasn't going anywhere!  If I do any "scouting" trips to MX in the future, I feel like I really have to do them w/o the kids in tow...

QiMom, yes, in my experience, there tends to be a general lack of awareness about toxins (at least in Gro).  For me, personally, this can be quite maddening.  I've watched small kids play in bags of fertilizer, I've watched only slightly older kids wearing the "pesticide backpack" out into the fields... For that matter, I've watched my in-laws burning plastic and batteries(!) with babies and kids nearby...  When I brought DS1 down to MX for his first visit (he was 1), my SIL sprayed Raid almost directly into his face--I was mortified!  Anyhow, this is a reality I face every time I visit my ILs--on the one hand everything--the air, the water, the food--feels so pure, so natural.  It's a lot like going camping.  But there's always this awareness that we're actually exposing ourselves to an elevated level of toxins.  We really want to find a home in MX where we don't feel like this is the case...

#22 of 24 Old 03-17-2011, 10:15 PM

re: QiMom's post: Yuck. Really interesting but terribly discouraging info about the natural farming. Wish I had had someone with your insider view to inform me when I was asking questions about farming in Mexico, I think I'll have to pass your information on to my MX friends who  think they are eating old-fashioned fruits and veggies.

#23 of 24 Old 04-02-2011, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Joining the thread a bit late and it seems to have gone off on an interesting tangent re organic foods and farming in mx.

But... HI! hola.gifDH and I are Canadian expats- we're living in the middle east now and we lived for a few years in Asia.

We are planning a move to Mexico in the next couple of years. We'd like this move to be kind of permanent- we'd like to buy a house instead of renting and settle into a community. We have both travelled extensively in central america but not so much mexico and we speak spanish in a mediocre way but plan to improve!

I would probably be living with DS alone on and off while DH continues to work abroad for a while.

We are not sure where we want to move but we are sure we want to be in a smaller city or town (or the country) and definitely by the water. We are going to spend the next couple of summers in Mexico feeling our way around and scouting out places where we'd like to settle.

I'll be following this thread and the others in the Mexico forum. Glad to have found you all!

Me dreads.gif 32, loving him fuzmalesling.gif33, more each day. Rad boy, jog.gif 7/12/10 & Cool gal baby.gif  4/28/13

I'm a biracial, atheist, humanist, pacifist, anarchist, bibliophile, and educator. Rainbow.gifgd.gifwinner.jpgnocirc.gif

#24 of 24 Old 01-24-2012, 09:17 PM

Blessings ,

Raya

joy.giftreehugger.gifpraying.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpg

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page