Moving to Rosarito / Tijuana beach area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 01-25-2012, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Can anyone give me some info or insight on  living near the border and working in San Diego  ; commuting on a daily basis.

Do you know anyone you has succesfully done this and also what neighborhoods would best be steared clear of .

We have lived in the Yucatan previously but are not familiar with the Baja area so anything ya got :)

Feel free to PM me .

Blessings,

treehugger.gifhomeschool.gifRainbow.gifpraying.gifhomebirth.jpgjoy.gif

Blessings ,

Raya

joy.giftreehugger.gifpraying.gifhomebirth.jpghomeschool.gifgoorganic.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM

Hi -

I live in San Diego, and there are many people who live in Tijuana and commute to San Diego for work or bring their kids over daily for school (a number of kids in my son's class live in Tijuana).  If you are going to cross the boarder with any regularity, you will want a SENTRI pass (you can google it).  Boarder crossing times can be up to a couple of hours with out the pass, but are really quick with the pass.  

Good luck with your move!

#3 of 18 Old 08-26-2012, 03:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Dancing in the Sun~Did you ever make the move to Tijuana?

How is everything going?

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#4 of 18 Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM

Hi this is dancinginthesun ( lost password etc)  we are stopped in Arizona right now found out we are expecting number four , we dont know if we will stay here or go on to Mex before the birth  .Do you know the birth scene there ,any midwives ?  Weve  most likely  decided on moving closer to Ensenada  when we do make it there.

Thanks for checking in :)

Blessings ,Raya

#5 of 18 Old 10-03-2012, 11:50 AM

congratulations on #4!

i've had all my kiddos since living here and can give you all the up-to-date info i have on having babies here.

feel free to pm me!

SAHM bf.gif, DH reading.gif, DD  (03/05) dust.gif, DS1hola.gif(01/09), DS2 babyf.gif(06/12) & dog2.gif

#6 of 18 Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM

Hi  it wouldnt let me pm you  see if you can pm me.

If it doesnt work I'll just  reply again with my email

Thanks so much :)

#7 of 18 Old 10-07-2012, 05:10 PM

#8 of 18 Old 06-11-2013, 02:43 PM

SraPlayas,

I'm new to mothering.com and tried to PM you but it wouldn't let me.  I live in Tijuana and am pregnant with my first.  My husband is Mexican and can't cross the border yet, so I'm looking into our options for birthing here in Tijuana.  Can you try to PM me?

MexicoMama

#9 of 18 Old 02-27-2014, 08:06 AM

I would love to know what you found out. We have lived in Rosarito for 9 months now and are expecting our fourth child now. We home school and would love to have a home birth, but I am having a hard time finding information.

#10 of 18 Old 02-27-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraplayas View Post

congratulations on #4!

i've had all my kiddos since living here and can give you all the up-to-date info i have on having babies here.

feel free to pm me!

I cannot PM you, but I really would love to pick your brain on having kids here in Mexico! Thank you!

Lauren

#11 of 18 Old 03-11-2014, 11:03 PM

Lauren,

we also HS and have 2.

We may be moving to Rosarito this summer-ish.  Hubby has a Job interview next week in SD and that will be our deciding factor.

Would love to hear your experiences and well, HS climate

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#12 of 18 Old 03-24-2014, 12:25 PM

Lauren,

I never did hear from Sra Playas, but I can tell you about my own birth experience in Tijuana!  Our baby girl was born on February 1st.  I really wanted to have a natural birth and it needed to be in Tijuana so that my husband could be there (he doesn't have US papers yet).  I found a doula, Georgina Garcia-Lepe, who advocates natural births ("humanized" births).  The CAMI program includes twice weekly prenatal exercise classes (yoga on Tuesdays and pilates on Thursdays) and a couples prenatal class, both of which I/we attended:

http://www.camitijuana.com.mx/

However, you can also just use Georgina's doula services.  We ended up delivering at Hospital ModEra in Tijuana.  The plan was for a natural / waterbirth, but I ended up needing a c-section due.  We really liked the hospital as it was very low-key and a great setting for a natural birth (if it would have been possible... I did get to experience 16 hours of HARD natural labor there, though... just didn't ever progress!)  I can share more if you'd like.  As far as I know, this is the only waterbirth option in Tijuana.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Hospital-Modera/446057802095368

I know that Georgina has also attended a few homebirths.  These are difficult to do in Mexico, because you can't get an official Mexican birth certificate without a certificate of a hospital birth (and can't get a U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad without a Mexican birth certificate), but I believe Georgina has an OB that she works with tha attends the homebirths and the OB's hospital provides the certificate of birth.

Georgina speaks Spanish but a little English.  She'd be the best resource for asking about a homebirth that I know about.  I don't know if she's attended births all the way in Rosarito, but it would be worth asking.  I was not able to find any midwives in the Tijuana area or San Diego midwives that would come to Mexico.  I did do co-current prenatal care at Birth Roots in Chula Vista, just across the border, and they have a birth center if you're interested in delivering there.  They are great!

http://www.birthrootsbabies.com/

Also, if you do deliver in Mexico and have questions about the paperwork to obtain the U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad, feel free to ask!  We just received our daughter's US CRBA and passport last week, so she's now officially a dual-citizen :)

MexicoMama

PS - Also, we plan on homeschooling, so it would be great to hear more from you or loomweaver (or anyone else that lives in the Tijuana/Rosarito area and homeschools) regarding that!

#13 of 18 Old 04-23-2014, 04:42 PM

Hi lovely mamas!

I have been off the MDC radar for several months, and am sorry that I haven't been accessible.

I am so glad that you found CAMI, mexicomama. I met with Georgina and really liked her.

I will pm those of you who are interested and maybe we can connect. I'm still living here, homeschooling, and hoping for #4 in the next year or so. :)

#14 of 18 Old 04-24-2014, 12:30 PM

PM'd you.

Michelle, vegan mama to my two sweeties, L, 4/21/04 and C, 10/29/06 married to my Bryce for 20 years.

#15 of 18 Old 05-03-2014, 07:41 PM

Just to update we did make it to Baja we lived down in La Mision 30 miles south of Rosarito for seven month wonderful little town .This part of Mexico is very different from my previous experience on the east coast and yucatan and it can be a hard life there ,but it has its good points . We have left there now but we will miss it .Good luck and blessings to all of you there.<3
#16 of 18 Old 05-03-2014, 08:00 PM

Oh just to add my husband worked in San Diego while we were there commuting 5 days a week morning and evening .If anyone wants our experience with that feel free to ask,the most important factor with that is you'll really want to live as close to the border as possible,get a Sentri pass,and factor in San Diego traffic which is horrible.But it can be done smile.gif
#17 of 18 Old 10-06-2014, 09:10 PM

Homeschool

Hello ladies
My family have moved to Playas de tijuana and would like to ask if anybody homeschools from San Diego?
#18 of 18 Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 PM

Hi Mama,

Welcome to Mexico.

I've been here for over 10 years and am HS my kiddos with a school in San Diego.
We are part of a really neat co-op here in Baja.

Feel free to PM me.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page