cotton balls in ears after birth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 09-24-2008, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey,
I'm going to have my baby tomorrow, and one of the things I've noticed here in MExico is that the women put cotton balls in their ears after birth. I can't seem to think why. Anyone do this? Any benefits?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 09-25-2008, 01:15 PM

Never heard of it...interesting though.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#3 of 8 Old 10-06-2008, 11:32 AM

Woah weird. I haven't ever seen that here either. If you see it again, you should ask the woman. I've learned a lot of interesting stuff from strangers on the street. They are usually more than happy to educate me.

Mama to 4.5
#4 of 8 Old 10-12-2008, 05:43 PM

i dont know...
i've never head of it.
#5 of 8 Old 10-14-2008, 04:30 PM

i did a search to try to find info about this because i thought it sounded odd and here is what i found on some random thread:

"Putting cotton in the ears is an ancient practice in South India. Recognising that women who have given birth recently have reduced energy levels and are more susceptible to infections, Indians had always advised women to put cotton into their ears for 60 days after child birth. We still see many women with cotton in their ears in many hospitals in South India, even though doctors nowadays are not reecognising this be effective."

Then there were posts from lots of people saying how great it worked for them to relieve anxiety and help them sleep better. I would be really careful sticking anything in your ears ... (as my mom always said "don't put anything in your ear bigger than your elbow)
but this is what it appears to be for nonetheless.
#6 of 8 Old 10-14-2008, 06:41 PM

Red thread is used on babies to prevent 'mal de aire' - ill winds; amber or yellow coloured beads protect against 'mal de ojo' - the evil eye. It is often held that mothers should not leave the house with the newborn or have anyone other than family visit the newborn until the 'ombligo' belly button has healed to prevent evil spirits from entering the baby through this open wound.

My children had read thread bracelets with amber beads to protect them from mal de aire and mal de ojo and they were also gifted talismans made from ojo de venado seeds hung on a red thread with a yellow glass bead and a picture of the Virgin Mary stuck onto the seed too.

The cotton in ears is, I think, about protecting these entrances to the body through which damaging vibrations and ill words/sounds can enter when you are weakened and at your most 'open' through having the wound of the placental site unhealed.

Even as an adult, if you have hiccups on public transport people will hunt around for a red thread to make into a ball and stick on your forehead to cure you. Very odd especially when the stranger uses their spit to make the thread into a ball before offering it to you!
#7 of 8 Old 10-16-2008, 06:57 PM

YAY - I'm glad to see some maybe explanation for that. I still have never seen it, but I feel a little more educated having read this.

Mama to 4.5
#8 of 8 Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 PM

Hi!
I found this:

To avoid that the cold enters and it remains in the body: an important mission during the childbed

During the childbirth, the adolescents perceive that the body is open and been vulnerable to the cold entrance. In the childbed it continues the entrance of the same, through pores, the vagina, the head and the ears, and can produce from slight malaises, to ailments that will affect for always their state of health, without possibilities that the western medicine can remedy it. The puérperas adolescents understand that its body has front doors for the cold. This, represented mainly by the night watchman, he cools the blood and he distributes himself by all the body. This belief is narrated by one of the general informants as it follows:

“At the moment that is born the creature all the pores are open. The women who do not consider that, then undress, open the key of the bath and they bathe. That cold, that amazement, that ice of the water, is concentrated, entered to him by pores and there the cooling from the blood, the bad circulation, the pain waist, the bones, the head, the eyes, the ears comes…”. Rose (midwife)

the original text (ins panish) is here: http://aquichan.unisabana.edu.co/ind...e/view/125/203

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page