Pregnant with Your First? Let's have our own support thread! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK...I see most of the mama's here already have one or more kiddos!

I'm pregnant now (just found out!) for the first time ever, with my first baby ever, and thought it would be fun to have a place to chat with other "first-timers"!

I'm Michelle, 31, married almost 6 yrs now. We started TTC #1 in Nov 2006, so this is great!

I'm just thinking happy, healthy, sticky baby thoughts now, anyone else?

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 05:05 PM

Michelle - there's a Pregnant with #1 in our 30's thread if you want to check that out too: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=631612.

I agree though, that I feel like such a newb being a first time mom. It seems like everybody's on #2 or more!

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#3 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 05:37 PM

I am in!

This is our first pregnancy and there is so much that I just don't know. I am so excited to take it all in.

DH and I have been married for nearly 7 years (June). We are both 28 years old. We started TTC in December 2006.

We live 750+ miles away from the rest of our family and have only told my mom & stepdad. We aren't ready to tell any of our friends here yet that we are expecting. It is really great to have this board.

I would love for us first timers to have a place to check in!

Heather, mama to Milo Grey 11.14.07 and Harper Moon 08.06.09

#4 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 06:55 PM

Ooh yeah I'm in too!

I'll be 32 in just a couple weeks, married 8 years and I'm still in the excited phase of "I have no idea what I'm doing." Gosh I'm so bloated already that I'm considering buying maternity clothes and stock in Gas-X! :

Thanks for starting this thread Michelle!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#5 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 07:00 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I'm a first-timer as well...only 18 years old and the father is 18. We're young, but determined to raise this beautiful baby. We weren't TTC.
#6 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 07:20 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say congrats to you all I so wish I'd found MDC earlier in my pregnancy with DD! You all have lucky babies

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#7 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 08:23 PM

Count me in!

Mara, mama to two boys born 05/2009 and 04/2011, after four miscarriages. 

Also: chicken3.gif  dog2.gif

#8 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 08:35 PM

can i join?

i'm only 4 weeks today (just got my BFP yesterday), so i'm hesitant to join any buddy groups but also THRILLED to be pregnant with our first so the latter outweighed the former.

i'm 27, husband is 28. we've been together seven years, got married in november of 2005. our due date -- 20 november -- is the day after our wedding anniversary!
#9 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 09:58 PM

Found out today I'm pregnant with twins!! : Wowza!
#10 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 10:00 PM

I just got my BFP today! I think I am going to cry as I type that! I am 23 and so is hubby. We have been trying since Sept. I am still to scared to change my siggy

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#11 of 149 Old 03-13-2007, 11:02 PM

Congratulations to everyone! We are gonna be mamas ! I just love that.

MajorGroover, what is it about the bloated thing?!? Yesterday my jeans felt fine, roomy not snug at all. Today I woke up and it is like I gained 10 pounds over night. My pajama bottoms that I put on tonight that have a tie waist even had to be made looser.

Heather, mama to Milo Grey 11.14.07 and Harper Moon 08.06.09

#12 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 12:56 AM

Congrats mamas!!!

jazzybaby, where in CO are you? You should check this out: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=565125
It has been extremely helpful with getting to know other mamas IRL.
#13 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 09:24 AM

I had my first morning sickness this morning! Is it weird that I am excited about that? I am sure it will get old. No bloating for me yet...I actually feel like I am getting skinnier...

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#14 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

YAY!

I'm so excited for this thread!

So, I tested again last night and this AM, and yep, still Positive!

I'm calling my CNMW today to make an appointment.

Estimated due date. Thanksgiving! Whoa! Happy, baby, er, turkey day.

OMG. Dee. You too with the gas? I've NEVER been this gassy in MY ENTIRE LIFE! I seriously think that 1/2 of what I eat turns to gas. I feel like a little old vegetarian lady eating beans and broccoli for breakfast. I'm a balloon here. And yeah, it's already affecting my pants size! I'm about ready to go buy a couple new pairs this afternoon!

Other symptoms....I had 2 pregnancy dreams before I got the BFP.

And weird pain in my left breast last week now that I think about it!

Babybel 8/5/08. Growing her sister: ***4***8***12***16***20***24***28***32***36**40*
#15 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 03:01 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseRjedi View Post
Congrats mamas!!!

jazzybaby, where in CO are you? You should check this out: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...d.php?t=565125
It has been extremely helpful with getting to know other mamas IRL.
I'm in Lakewood...on Jewell and Kipling, near the Green Mountain area! I'll check out that link right now.
#16 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 03:17 PM

Oh, good. I thought everybody due in November already had kids!

EDD: Nov. 16 for us. I'm 28, DH is 29 and we were surprised (and happy) to conceive the first month trying.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#17 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 05:04 PM

Oskie - that's my DD too.

Dee - have you considered buying clothes a couple sizes bigger rather than maternity clothes? That was suggested to me today as a temporary alternative. It might not be a bad idea. I don't feel bloated but I must be because my pants this morning didn't fit quite right.

Mama to Aeden, : my little NICU grad and Conner and Liam () my precious twins. is due mid April!
#18 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Christy and Dee,

Me too!

I think with the bloating and gas (it can't be anything else at this stage, right?), my pants need to be bigger. sigh.
I'm heading to Target after work to scope it out. I think I'll buy a couple pairs 2 sizes bigger that hopefully will work for a while!

And longer shirts. I hate that all my shirts are so short now, that if I try to unbutton for relief while I sit here you can see!

Welcome oskie!

#19 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeandBrian View Post
I had my first morning sickness this morning! Is it weird that I am excited about that? I am sure it will get old. No bloating for me yet...I actually feel like I am getting skinnier...
I don't think that's weird... I feel nervous b/c I've been fairly asymtomatic so far. I'd love a nice big normal pregnancy "symptom" like morning sickness-- although as you said I'm sure that feeling won't last long! I too was scared to change my siggy, but the folks over in TTC reminded me a few times.

#20 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 08:38 PM

I think I'm starting to feel nausea now & it's not all it's cracked up to be. Aimee I thought I'd be excited like you but unfortunately I wasn't. It's not bad, just a very slight queasyness. : that it doesn't get much worse!

Couldn't sleep last night b/c my whole body hurt so I'm doubly exhausted from being pregnant and not sleeping. Sigh.

Michelle & Christy I'm not going to buy more clothes mostly b/c I can't afford those AND maternity clothes later. I have a couple of drawstring-waist skirts and some capris that still fit comfortably so I'm going to try to stretch what I have as long as possible. It's crazy that some pants and skirts are already out of the question!

Michelle keep up with the fiber (heheh) and you can also take Gas-X for gassiness. I don't drink soft drinks but I just discovered lemon-lime flavored seltzer water. It's calorie free, doesn't have any fake sugars and seems to prevent gas if I drink it while I eat.

HeatherMarie haha I know what you mean about feeling like you gained 10lbs overnight! My drawstring pajamas aren't particularly comfy now either!

What's everyone doing for prenatal care? I'm totally conflicted on what to do. I'm interviewing a homebirth midwife on Friday (sooo nervous about the meeting!), I have an appt for an ultrasound next Friday at a huge impersonal OB office, and I just made an appt at a small single-doc OB office for mid-April (the earliest they could take me). I want the u/s, the home birth and the single OB. Dang I'm hard to please. How are you ladies making this big decision?

#21 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorGroover View Post
What's everyone doing for prenatal care? I'm totally conflicted on what to do. I'm interviewing a homebirth midwife on Friday (sooo nervous about the meeting!), I have an appt for an ultrasound next Friday at a huge impersonal OB office, and I just made an appt at a small single-doc OB office for mid-April (the earliest they could take me). I want the u/s, the home birth and the single OB. Dang I'm hard to please. How are you ladies making this big decision?
Right now I'm going to see the ob/gyn that helped me get my baby, but I won't be seeing the same doctor, because there are 8 of them (I think). Some of them aren't obs though. I don't know if I want to leave them cause I LIKE them, even if they are obs. The doctor I was seeing was wonderful the entire time I was trying. Problem is, I don't think they're light on interventions (I don't think many places are here... I'd have to get closer to Raleigh which is 3+ hours away). I may hire a doula though and see how intervention free I can get. I'm a horrible patient anyway - I'll do what I have to for my own comfort (including eating if I get hungry).

My current plan is to stay home as long as I can to minimize interventions. First births are usually long right?

#22 of 149 Old 03-14-2007, 09:10 PM - Thread Starter

Dee,

I wish I had some drawstring skirts and pants! I do think I'll be going upstairs and trying on what I have...I looked at the bank account and decided not to spend any more cash today.

Prenatal/Birth care

My choice was easy, ever since we moved here in 2003 I started seeing an awesome Midwife/Women's health clinic for my annual etc. They just moved into and awesome new office attached to the brand new hospital which has, a natural birth and water birth wing!

My CNMW is awesome. And, I know that if anything happens/goes wrong, they partner with an awesome OB/gyn office (that I went to to have my colpapscopy) with all woman Drs.

So I just called them up today, got an 8 wk check in appointment, and a 12 week appointment!

I knew when I first went to the midwife practice that I wanted them to care for me when I was pregnant.

#23 of 149 Old 03-15-2007, 12:15 PM

As far as prenatal care, I'm going with an OB/hospital. Not because I think they're better than a midwife/homebirth (on the contrary!) but because my insurance will pay for it, and I just plain can't afford to go it alone financially.

This dude comes pretty highly reccommended here on MDC, though: I take that as a good sign that I may get my intervention-free birth.

#24 of 149 Old 03-15-2007, 02:25 PM

I was wondering about prenatal care earlier, because we're moving this summer. I made an appointment with a birth center that will take our insurance, but it's 45 minutes away from our new house. Like ChristyM26, I'm hoping that first births do take a while!

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#25 of 149 Old 03-15-2007, 02:39 PM - Thread Starter

Weasleymum,

That factored into my descision too. My CNMW takes my insurance, and a hospital birth, even at the new natural birth center place is covered, we pay only a $500 copay, which is nice.

Plus, to be honest here, even though I'm all for natural birth, and less intervention, I want to have the proximity to medical facilities just in case, especially since this is my first pregnancy ever! Having never been through it all, it is reassuring.

Maybe if this goes well, and I have a #2 in a few years I might consider HB. Mom did it....

We told the parents last night! They were all SO EXCITED! And DH came home from work last night with a big bunch of flowers for me and a bag of chocolate....awwww.

#26 of 149 Old 03-15-2007, 06:17 PM

Michelle I am SO jealous of your awesome CNMW/hospital with waterbirth setup! That's what I wanted from the start but the neither is available around here. I guess there are CNMWs around but I can't find any that my insurance covers. Hospital waterbirth is unheard of, and there's not even a birthing center. So it's home or the hospital for me. Insurance won't cover the midwife or HB, but the fee for a c-section + insurance deductible (worse case scenario) is about the same out-of-pocket expense as the HB. I imagine if I ended up with a c-section I would kick myself for not going the HB route. But then I guess the worst case scenario is trying for a HB and then having a c-section, which would be VERY expensive indeed. I'm also pretty sure I qualify for medicaid so I'm trying to find out if it'll cover anything since I have private insurance already. :

Weasleymum you're lucky your doc comes highly recommended by MDC. Maybe I need to head over to the Finding Your Tribe section and find the same for myself.

Christy I'm sorry you don't have many birthing options. Hiring a doula seems like a great idea - I've heard the most important thing in the hospital is to have someone "advocate" for you, so that would be perfect. GL!

#27 of 149 Old 03-16-2007, 12:45 AM

Hi all,

I just got my BFP today after only our second month of trying...I'm 36, DH is 38, and we've only been married since October! Have I gotten in over my head?

I'm having to adjust to this so fast...suddenly I can't take my sleepy-time medication (I have horrible insomnia) and my yoga teacher turned me away tonight! He wants me to get an ok from my doctor first before I come back. It's Bikram yoga, the hot stuff, so I guess that's smart, I just didn't expect it cuz he was bragging about how many pregnant students he's had who had completely healthy pregnancies and babies. Apparently I have to wait til after my first trimester. Grr...don't know what to do without my yoga. So in one day everything's changed! But I'm still happy...

Guess I've got to find an OB now...
#28 of 149 Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 AM

I have my info session at BirthCare on the 27th and I guess they will tell us what comes next then. It's expensive to go simple (homebirth)! Luckily, my insurance should reimburse us in full once we pay the midwife that $4000

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#29 of 149 Old 03-16-2007, 10:55 PM

Can I join? I just got my BFP yesterday and I'm due on November 23rd. My husband and I have been married for 8 months on next Thursday and have been trying since a month before our wedding. *laugh*

I made an appointment with a midwife but there aren't any who do homebirths here so I'll have to have a hospital birth if DH doesn't find a job back home.
#30 of 149 Old 03-20-2007, 02:15 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome Lexi!

How is everyone doing?

4w6d here...and still about the same here. Stomach/abdomen stretching/light cramping feelings on and off, tired, and with the lightheaded/dizziness. Also, upset digestion. The gassiness is a lot less, but now I have almost diharrea (TMI I know), and bloat. A bit of queasiness, but nothing bad yet!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page