Morning Sickness? Hah! All day sickness more like! - Mothering Forums

#1 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 12:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 6w 2d, and I'm turning into a puke machine. Blechhh....

I was not sick at all with DS, but with this baby I am just nauseous all the time. I dont want to eat, and when i do, i feel sick for hours afterwards, as if I've just eaten a 4 course meal when I've only had a slice of toast or some chicken soup. The slightest amount of food makes me feel full, bloated, and nauseous. This is a totally new thing for me as it wasnt an issue with DS. i dont know how best to manage it, or even how to deal with the daily vomiting. Anyone have some good pointers? Anyone been through the "All Day Sickness" before?

:Puke

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 02:18 AM

I have always found that protein helps the nausea lift somewhat. I start my days off with an egg + egg white. If you can down an omelet then it's a great excuse to add cheese and milk.

The more tired you are, the more nauseous you'll feel, so don't overdo it. Get your rest.

I have found that the less I travel out and about, the less likely I am to throw up. The more riding in the car I do, the worse I feel...so I end up nearly hibernating for a few weeks, but it's worth not throwing up!!

Sea bands work for some. Tart hard candies work for others. I've heard lemon is great; you could just squeeze it in a little water.

I might get slammed for this one...but I noticed in the last pregnancy that there was one thing that helped out my nausea in the morning, as long as I was careful to accompany it with a little food-- coffee. I think there's something about the caffeine which made the nausea lift some. I noticed very early on, like before we had even found out about the pg, that when I didn't drink coffee, my stomach felt like a sea. When I drank it, I felt much stabler.

I hope at least one of those suggestions helps you. I've never thrown up all day, but I get pretty bad nausea for ten weeks....that should be starting within the week for me...:
#3 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 03:37 AM

I could have written your post Lisa. With Dante I was fine, a bit nauseas for a couple days, but nothing like this.

Here's what I have been doing:

Ginger tablets

Ventigoheel (homeopathic remedy)

peppermint tea / ginger tea

lemon candies / mint chewing gum

simple carbs and protein (crackers, home-made mac & cheese, basmati rice with yogurt cumin sauce, rice & chicken casserole w/ the creamed soups, etc.)

standing outside in the cold air without a jacket on (I know, strange, but it helps me)

keep eating every 2 hours even though I have to force myself and get some distraction while I'm eating

dry heaving into the toilet when I first wake up (I can't get myself to throw up, but this seems to trick my body into thinking I have and I get about 30 minutes of relief so I can eat some breakfast)

I really want to avoid the Rx drugs that can be taken, so I may also try accupuncture and reflexology next.

- Kira

#4 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 AM

Well, it just hit me two days ago, and for me, it is also all day sickness, even when I wake up through the night, I feel nauseous. It's far worse when I wake up in the morning and try to get milk for my kids. I dry heaved into the sink (didn't actually puke anything) while I was getting their milk in sippies and making ginger tea for myself. Ugh. I also don't feel like eating at all, but I have found that if I force myself to snack pretty much continually, it really keeps it at bay. I love the Quaker Oatmeal Squares cereal for constant snacking. I was really craving protein until this hit. Now I'm not sure I can put down any protein. We'll see. An egg does not sound appealing though.

So, besides snacking all day and drinking ginger tea, a few other things that helped me in the past...

Reed's Gingerale, it's the real stuff. You'll only be able to find it at your HFS and only if you are lucky. Kroger has a decent gingerale in their HF section. It's in the beer bottle looking 4-pack. (There's only two options, at least at my Kroger and the other is in a can and has high fructose corn syrup, ack!) Reed's is definitely better, but I haven't been able to find it in my area, we were living somewhere else during my previous pregnancies. I just sip on it throughout the day.

I guess those are the main things that I do, but I think I may try some sour candy and/or some preggie pops. I normally stay away from candy, but it's a great excuse to have some!

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#5 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 10:36 AM

REEDS!!! OMG!! I forgot about that!!!! That stuff is so good and it really helped me in my second pregnancy. Our grocery store actually sells it, but they have a couple of health food aisles.

The cold air does help me, too...unless it's mid-winter and I'm standing near some place that serves cooked beef :

These have been such great ideas...keep'em coming ladies!! I especially love the herbal ones as I haven't gone that route before.
#6 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComfyCozy View Post

The cold air does help me, too...unless it's mid-winter and I'm standing near some place that serves cooked beef :
Yeah, if I even drive by Burger King, I feel like vomiting. The thought of eating ground beef right now is disgusting. Chicken too, for that matter, except maybe a chicken kebab sandwich with tzatziki from the middle eastern place. that sounds mildly tolerable, strangely enough :

I bought a bunch of lemons and limes yesterday and ive cut them up for water and to just suck the juice, since the sour juice seems to momentarily alleviate the nausea.
Lovely Dh has been going all over on his days off trying to get me the foo that sounds ok to me. Last night he got me some pad thai, since its sour and he thought it would be nourishing. I didnt have the heart to tell him how sick it made me

Eating lime jello right now. So far, its in.
#7 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 11:33 AM

I like ginger tea for nausea or candied ginger that travels well. I got some from the health food store for $2.

I haven't been too nauseous yet (knockin' on wood) but I heard those sea bands work pretty good. There is also a homeopathic "spray" or tablets for morning sickness too. You can spray it right into your mouth when you feel nausea.

Good luck!
#8 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 03:17 PM

Man, it's kicked in bad for me. I did drink some coffee this afternoon, since I usually have it once a day and it actually did help for a little while. I really hate just feeling sick constantly! I think I'll head to the HFS soon and see what other natural remedies they have.

ETA: I'm sure coffee wouldn't work for everyone or even every pregnancy. During my last pregnancy (my miscarriage), I had really bad nausea almost immediately (that's how I knew I was pregnant) and coffee made it considerably worse. This time, it seems to help, but I don't think I could drink it first thing in the morning.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 04:28 PM - Thread Starter

Even the smell of coffee is making me want to vomit, so i'd say coffee is out.
Was going to go to Whole Foods this afternoon for some of that natural gingerale and maybe some herbal stomach ease tea, but the pouring rain has turned to sleet, so i'm going to go lay down on the couch while DS plays trains for a while.
#10 of 15 Old 03-24-2007, 06:37 PM

Ok, trying some more in the way of natural remedies:

1) Vitamin B6, took 300 mg earlier.

2) Nux Vomica (homeopathic), have taken 5 pellets every hours the past 4 hours.

To be honest, they haven't helped too too much, but I just burst into tears in the staff room and then talked to my mom on the phone and that did seem to help.

I'm going to the walk-in clinic after work and will discuss more options with the doctor. I am really wanting to avoid Rx, but this is unbearable (working full-time and being a mom to a 3 year old, while DH is away in Hong Kong for the next 2.5 weeks) so I may have to go that route.

- Kira
#11 of 15 Old 03-25-2007, 11:06 AM

Kira. I hope you figure out something that works soon. I don't think my ms is unbearable, but definitely not pleasant. And I'm really glad that I'll be through it before dh deploys. I can't imagine going through this without him. Ugh!

#12 of 15 Old 03-26-2007, 12:17 AM

Thanks for the hug, I had the worst day yesterday. I got in to see the doctor and she listened to me explain everything I'd tried so far for a couple minutes then gave me a Rx for Diclectin. I took one pill last night at 6 pm and then slept from 7 pm til 10 am this morning. That stuff freaks me out and I really don't want to take any more. The upside is, I haven't taken any more pills at all, and today has been much better. I'm not sure if it's because the drug is still in my system, or what has changed.

The down-side is I paid $ 151.70 for these pills (YIKES!) since we don't have extended medical until next month (DH just got a new job), so that really sucks.

- Kira
#13 of 15 Old 03-26-2007, 12:49 AM

One thing that helped me during my first, extremely nauseated, pregnancy-- smoothies made in advance, always ready in the fridge. They don't smell much, and if you use a straw, you barely have to taste them. Sometimes leaving it out at room temperature makes it easier on your stomach. I used (in various combinations):

frozen bananas and various berries
yogurt
soy powder
orange juice
raw nuts
silken tofu
nutritional yeast
flax oil or meal
peanut butter
sometimes added vanilla or maple syrup

The important thing is not to let your blood sugar fluxuate too much. The protein in the smoothie helps, as does constant sipping.

And sleep, lots and lots of sleep.

Hope you mamas are feeling better soon! (and that I somehow escape the m/s this pregnancy! Crossing fingers....)

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
#14 of 15 Old 03-26-2007, 12:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by snanna View Post

The important thing is not to let your blood sugar fluxuate too much. The protein in the smoothie helps, as does constant sipping.

And sleep, lots and lots of sleep.
I am desperate for sleep, i think i could sleep all day and still not feel rested. DH is a cop and works 4 10-hour days a week, so he does get 3 day weekends, but the rest of the week I am about in tears by the afternoon because I am so desperate for a nap. DS self-weaned around Christmas, and since then he has stopped napping completely. I can tell he is so tired, but he refuses to stay in his bed, and he roams all over the house making messes. He has figured out how to unlock the front door, so i cant let him roam while i rest. He wont stay still when i put him in bed with me either, just rolls around and pokes me and pulls my hair.
I am almost desperate enough to get one of those really tall baby gates to put across the door to his room, so he can play in his room safely while i get some rest right across the hall. i dont like the idea of 'caging' him, but i'm desperate for rest. I've been going to bed at 8 pm, right after i put him to bed, cus i am so worn out.

Got some Reed's ginger brew and some Wishgarden Herbs Calm-a-tummy tincture yesterday, hope they work!
#15 of 15 Old 03-26-2007, 05:29 PM

I'm very sorry to say that I found nothing that helped when I was pregnant with my son. I lost 20 lbs in the first trimester with him, I couldn't even keep water down for more than 5 mins. YUK! I really hope that somthing works for you, I don't wish bad all day sickness on anyone. I feel so blessed with this one because I just have regular m/s and it seems to be easier to controll. HUGS!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page