what does my uterus feel like? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-10-2007, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, i am a little nervous to be pressing on my belly to see if I can feel my uterus. I would like to leave this up to the doctor. But I do have a lump on my left side in the front. Like, 3 inches to the left of my bellybutton. Is that my uterus? It is firmer than the rest of my flabby belly. Where should my uterus be at 7 weeks? I honestly am so ignorant about these things. Maybe I need to do some reading....

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#2 of 5 Old 04-10-2007, 04:25 PM

At seven weeks, the uterus is still probably inside the pelvic bowl unless you're carrying more than one babe. It should start "peeking out" in a few weeks. It feels kind of firm, but smooth with a top edge that rounds into the rest of your abdomen.
#3 of 5 Old 04-10-2007, 04:42 PM

Your uterus is probably just above the top of your pubic bone, or it will be in a few weeks. Everyone grows a little differently. But feel where your pubic bone is, and then feel just above it--you may feel something more firm that stops after another fingertip or two upwards. The easiest time to feel it is when it's contracted, like after an orgasm, because then it's hard like a ball and easier to feel.

I found this interesting quote from a research study:
Quote:
Overall, 75% of respondents agreed [...] that a nonpregnant or 5-week pregnant uterus feels like a small, unripe pear. Sixty-one percent agreed that a 6-week pregnant uterus feels like a small (juice) orange. Eighty percent agreed that an 8-week pregnant uterus feels like a large (navel) orange. Eighty-one percent expressed agreement that a 12-week pregnant uterus feels like a grapefruit.
Keep in mind that is during bimanual exam (one hand in vagina, other at top of uterus) so you won't feel all of that. But you can kind of envision that size of fruit, with part of it hidden under your pubic bone...
#4 of 5 Old 04-10-2007, 06:44 PM

I will be seven weeks on Thursday. I'm a big girl, so I can't feel mine through my fat roll from the front, so I go in from the top.

I set my fingers at my belly button and push down (and in) about 3-4 inches, I can feel the top of my harder, rounded uterus.

It's harder than your regular belly unless you're pretty rock solid, then I don't know what to tell ya. :

But at this point, you should not worry. It's still really early. I started feeling for mine when i noticed the bottom of the zipper area on my jeans were tight so I must already be popping out.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#5 of 5 Old 04-10-2007, 08:23 PM

I was so freaked out last week when I could not find mine that I have sworn off looking for it.. I definitely felt it at around 9 wks with both my last two pcgys (crap, now I am getting nervous again, esp after poor Mara'a sad news.. arghhhhh) for the record it feels like a firm ridge just above the pubic bone like a crescent (at least mine did) OK OK this is me resisting the urge to go on ute recon!!! ahhhh
Laura

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page