Anyone else knitting or wanting to learn with this baby? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 09:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I kind of took up knitting before DS2, but never really accompolished anything. I mean, I did a few rows and that was about it, lol. With this babe on the way, I really want to try and makes some things. Plus this is the first fall babe for us, so it will be fun to dress him/her in some mama made longies.

Anyone else? Any patterns you are using? I was going to sign up for the Wooly Wonder classes but it looks like they aren't being held anymore.

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#2 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 10:37 AM

Yup, I'm a knitter! I post more often in the yarn crafts thread, but it's nice to know there's another November mom knitting too. I took a knitting class over the winter and am slowly learning how to make things. I've made lots of baby hats, a baby blanket, and other assorted quick things. Right now I'm working on a baby blanket for friends who are due in October. I'll probably move onto pants once I've finished the blanket.
Meredith

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#3 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 10:41 AM

I so want to learn to knit but can't find the time. Maybe if I quit posting on Mothering I'd have more free time.

Seriously, between gardening (which takes up a lot of time b/c it's so huge), cooking, cleaning, kiddos, and reading...I just can't squeeze it in.

So jealous!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#4 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 10:47 AM

Yep, another knitting mama here. I've known enough basic stitches long enough to make a big square blanket for each baby, but I've only gotten "good" at it in the past couple years. I'm looking forward to making something fancier!
#5 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Lindsey, I know what you mean about no time! That is what has been keeping me from it! The kiddos go to bed about 7 each night though (we are a no nap house, lol, their choice. . sometimes its great, others not so much!!) so I have some time then. I was doing a PT job at night, but am quitting in two weeks, so that should free me up some. I am thinking of calling a local yarn shop to see if they have some workshops. I have the Stitch N Bitch book, which got me started, but I would like to have someone on hand to help my. My Aunt is a knitter too, so I may bug her a bit too! I love woolies and want to be able to make them!

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#6 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 02:04 PM

I want to learn! I can do basic croche, enough that last baby I made him wool covers but dang they where HEAVY. I know just a little bit about how to knitt and need to take a class as my daughter is now Waldorf homeschooling and I need to teach her how to do it already as it is part of their learning. I think it is wonderful, but I need to learn first. When though? I am so dang sick! And books are hard to learn from I am finding. I can make a blanket. I know it. I just have never finished one. I get close, look back, find a mistake, and trash the whole thing. LOL I will start on a blanket soon though, just to get me started. I think I will do squares for the first one. Simple right? LOL

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#7 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 02:30 PM

I learned the basic stitches from a friend. I've made a couple scarfs and some juggling balls so far. I found a pattern for some simple looking baby booties I may try after I finish the project I'm on now (a crochet poncho for the cooler months of Oct and Nov).

I know Joann's has beginner classes for pretty inexpensive if you want to try a group setting.

Tara

Tara - Mother to Curtis 12/04 and Clark 11/07
#8 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 03:39 PM

If you remember some things about knitting, but not a lot, a good place to go is knittinghelp.com. There are lots of videos regarding technique. It's much easier than reading about stiches in a book. Just fyi because I know it's gotten me out of some knitting jams.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
#9 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 03:50 PM

Yup, another knitter here. I am starting to get more brave as I am really still a beginner. As soon as I pick up some circular needles I'll start in on a small soaker and I also want to get some longies done. I've already done a hat and need to do the booties to match since it will be nice and chilly when he/she arrives.

Oh and knittinghelp.com gets a HUGE thumbs up from me. That is where I got my refresher course.

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
#10 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 04:20 PM

Can anyone tell me how to even make a baby hat? LOL Boots would be great too. LOL Any easy patterns online by chance that you have tried?

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#11 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 04:47 PM

i'm a beginning knitter. i've got a big stash of wool ready to make up some soakers and longies once i figure out the pattern!

i've been a chrocheter since i was 12, so it was a hard switch to something that i can't go as fast with. but i'm learning.

someone mentioned knittinghelp.com which is a wonderful site!! it has little videos on it that are really helpful to me. they have videos there for continental knitting, which is what i do(it just came more naturally after chrochet). most books show you in the traditional way, which i just can't get at all! lol the videos got me through a sock pattern, which i would have never figured out on my own! lol but anyway, the site has lots of free patterns on it, lots of cute little socks and hats and things.
#12 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 05:00 PM

i crochet...i even sell some of my stuff. just google knit paaterns and there are lots of freebies out there. here's my site, if you wanna see my stuff.

http://www.bright-n-madi.com/CrochetedItems.html

Jen-loving Bill, mama to Teryn 18, Kalyn 16, Ricky 13, Natalie 5, Angel Zoe '07 and rainbow1284.gifAmelia Rae 22 mos bonus kids (dss) W 14, W 13 NEW grandbaby due 10/10/11

#13 of 23 Old 04-30-2007, 08:16 PM

I want to learn so badly but I have no one here to teach me. I also want to learn how to sew too so I can make some diapers.
#14 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 02:01 AM

Im a knitter. I'm working on a baby blanket for my SIL right now. She is due in June. I need to hurry up!
#15 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 12:12 PM

I'd love to learn but my evenings are composed of trying not to fall asleep with DD, and then getting up and making everyone's lunches for the next day, and setting out clothes and dipes. If, by some miracle, I manage to stay awake for longer than that, I certainly would not have the brain cells to learn something new. However, if y'all keep talking about it enough, I might get enough impetus to actually try something for once.
#16 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 04:27 PM

I'm a knitter too. I have been knitting baby things for way to long for everyone else! I can't wait to find out what I'm having so i can knit away for this little one.
#17 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 05:01 PM

I'm afraid to learn how to knit, honestly. Time, money, obsession with a new hobby. You know how it is

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#18 of 23 Old 05-01-2007, 08:00 PM

I moved and down sized my whole house and gave away all my knitting stuff last January. Baby stuff too. I had not thought I would need or want much of any such things. So now I am going out tomorrow to buy more! Granted I know the best stuff as far as wool I need to get online but for now, to get back to it, a baby blanket would be great! Why not, I have no energy to do much by lay around anyway, might as well make something right? LOL

#19 of 23 Old 05-02-2007, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi_029 View Post
I want to learn so badly but I have no one here to teach me. I also want to learn how to sew too so I can make some diapers.
that's how i feel, too. i am cooking my first right now so i have a feeling it's now or never if i am going to learn but i really don't know where to begin.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

#20 of 23 Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 AM

I knit, but I havent had the energy or concentration to pick up my sticks in the last 13 weeks....

I'm hoping that now that I am rolling into the second trimester I will be able to.
#21 of 23 Old 05-03-2007, 06:56 PM

I'm a knitter. I made this cardigan for the baby in the beginning. Have been working on some other things since then, but hope to make a few pairs of longies. Knitting is one of the few things I have enough energy for right now!
#22 of 23 Old 05-04-2007, 03:40 PM

I'd love to knit, but while I've bought books & even a dvd I need someone to TEACH me to knit. I can crochet, but I need knitting for the soakers. Anyone in Ohio? Anyone who'd come to Ohio?!

Honey
#23 of 23 Old 05-04-2007, 07:29 PM

I have already knitted a sleep sack and a pair of longies for this baby.

the longies were my first pair ever. I did a curly purly waistband on the picky pants pattern.
You can see them in my blog.

The next pair I am working on is going to be a different pattern though. I dye and sell wool yarn, so I am just waiting to find out what the baby is so I can do gender specific!

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page