Pre-natal vitamins causing nausea/headaches - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I recently found out that my prenatal vitamins have been causing me to be nauseous and have headaches over the past couple of weeks.

I know this to be true because I was out of pre-natal vitamins for 2 weeks. During those two weeks that I did not have any to take, I was my normal self again. I got my pre-natal vitamins a few days ago through mail. I took them yesterday and the nausea and headaches returned.

Has anyone else experienced prenatal vitamins causing sickness? I've stopped taking the brand of pre-natals I have.

This brand is suppose to be all natural and it is by a private company (Melaleuca) through mail order only. Does anyone have a recommendation for natural pre-natals?
#2 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 05:43 PM

I know that last time I took a whole foods prenatal (Rainbow brand maybe?) and it made me incredibly sick. I puked 10-30 minutes later, every time. Finally I quit taking them and oh look, my m/s went away! It wasn't until I tried to resume taking them at 26 weeks, and resumed puking, that I figured it out. Wish I would have noticed the correlation sooner...

No real recommendations for what would be better though. When I have taken the more commercial, processed vitamins they haven't made me sick but some feel those aren't that good for you either. Personally I am drinking a very nutrient-rich pregnancy tea that my MW makes rather than taking vitamins at all but that probably doesn't help you much either!
#3 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 05:49 PM

I admit to not taking anything in weeks...I tried rainbow again, and nope...that wasn't going to sit well wit me (although I did NOT have any issues moving my bowel that day as a positive sidenote!!)
#4 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 07:40 PM

Yes, I made sure that I took them either during a BIG meal or before I went to bed. If they keep bothering you, switch brands or talk to your OB/Midwife.

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
#5 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 09:54 PM

I noticed the same thing with Rainbow Light. The all day on/off nausea left around 10 weeks but I still can't take the vitamins if my stomach isn't completely full b/c they make me queasy. Now I eat a big bowl of shredded wheat cereal then wash down the vitamin with OJ and it seems to work.

Switching brands might be a good idea too. The walmart cheapie prenatals never made me nauseous so it was nice to have them for backup, even with the food coloring and "inferior" ingredients.

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#6 of 8 Old 05-24-2007, 09:56 PM

my mws told me to lay off the prenatals until the m/s let up.
#7 of 8 Old 05-25-2007, 01:06 AM

Whenever I took my Rainbow Lights after a nice full meal, I just had that much more to throw up...

Which is to say, that strategy didn't work so well for me but I often hear it recommended!
#8 of 8 Old 05-25-2007, 02:32 AM

I take the Trader Joe's brand and I do take them at night. I had low iron after the birth of my son b/c I forgot a lot towards the end of my last pg, so I am trying to be more diligent.

Someone here on MDC once recommended Flintstones brand--why I don't know but a lot of people who get sick from prenatals seem to do well on them.

It's a complete drag your vitamins are making you ill! Yuck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page