Weekly Thread (July 14-July 22) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-15-2007, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love the weekly thread.

It's nice to have a thread for general chit-chat, what's going on in our lives, our appointment updates, how we're feeling, etc.

So, let's chat!

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-15-2007, 07:49 PM

yay! (i had only seen the weekly chat for twin mamas before, but i assume this one is an open chat? i hope so!)

well aside from being terrified i've given lead poisoning to my unborn baby...

i'm currently working on an article that was accepted for publication (!!) but they required some revisions i HATE so it's been a huge pain in the ass. have been working on that the last few weeks and i just want to be done already! i plan on getting it in tuesday or wednesday (a week before deadline, so i can look professional and easy to work with but, seriously, i feel like i'm pulling out my own eyelashes here, that's how done i am...

on the pregnancy front, little owlie (our nickname for him/her, don't ask) seems to be doing well -- moving lots as always, with lots of funny, stronger movements. we have our anatomy scan on thurs (won't be finding out the sex) so i'll be curious to know what she is doing in there when i feel certain weird jumps and bounces.

i also think i've finally popped in the last week. i feel SO pregnant (rather than tubby) and it's exciting. i mostly feel like i'm all belly and i feel super cute and sexy. (pics on wednesday!)

also, when the heck does the sixth month start? dr. sears says 21 weeks! that seems so weird. i found another chart that says 23 weeks and that makes more sense to me (but i've also found another site that says 22!). regardless i can't believe how fast it's going.

can you tell i'm procrastinating?

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:29 PM

I used to be a nonfiction writer too, but it was like pulling teeth for me to conform. I am a writer, but really hate writing for magazines. So I quit. and I haven't made money from my writing yet since then, but I am happy too. On to better things in writing (for me!).

I went to the consignment shop and bought a baby massage book and a few more gender neutral shirts and sleepers. I resent the prices of consignment in this area! Ugh! You can actually go to Target and get new stuff cheaper. BUT I can't find the colors I am looking for.

I'm having some cramping/painful twinges in my very lower belly, across the bottom where a section scar would be (or in my case, where my scar is from 12 years agao). But it's not all the time and doesn't lead to anything worse.

I am bitchy. There's just no other word for it. I am in such a mood a lot. I want to be left completely alone, and that's not possible. But today? Today I am alone as hubby has all my kids out camping on Angel Island, in the San Francisco Bay I guess. I am lost with what to do with myself. LOL

I almost made my 5 year old cry because I was holding his little face, telling him to be good and careful and that I would miss him so much and he got all misty eyed! He told me I would be okay and that they left me with cheese and lettuce which is what I need for a pregnancy.

He's my BABY and we've rarely been apart. He just had his first sleepover this summer at our friend's house. I am so SAD!! This baby has me pulling back really hard on "letting him go" or maybe that's not it and it's just his age that's allowing him to do more things without me than ever. He's becoming so independent.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 07-15-2007, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
I used to be a nonfiction writer too, but it was like pulling teeth for me to conform. I am a writer, but really hate writing for magazines. So I quit. and I haven't made money from my writing yet since then, but I am happy too. On to better things in writing (for me!).
interesting!

this article is for an academic (african american lit) journal, so that's like a whole other can of worms when it comes to negotiating voice and stuff like that. : it's a big deal for a phd student to get offered publication but right now i am just resenting the process more than anything else. i particularly resent "academic" voice and am not interested in conforming to it -- a big focus in my writing and teaching (i work in an inner-city public college) is disrupting that ivory tower mentality a bit.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Hi!
I like the idea of a weekly thread. About the 21 week thing: I think technically 21 weeks would be the start of the 6th month (rather than 24 weeks which I guess would be "6 months"). It is all in the wording, I guess...

I am biting the big one with my eating habits. I am the dang person who started the whole "eating healthy thread" and I am hungry for "bad" things. Eggplant parm for dinner, fried of course, and we did decide on salad instead of fries. But I want fries! : I insist that the BABY wants fries, not the mama!

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 07-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisiedotes View Post
Hi!
I like the idea of a weekly thread. About the 21 week thing: I think technically 21 weeks would be the start of the 6th month (rather than 24 weeks which I guess would be "6 months"). It is all in the wording, I guess...

I am biting the big one with my eating habits. I am the dang person who started the whole "eating healthy thread" and I am hungry for "bad" things. Eggplant parm for dinner, fried of course, and we did decide on salad instead of fries. But I want fries! : I insist that the BABY wants fries, not the mama!
i have been wanting fries, too! but i haven't given in yet.

however, i was watching "everything is illuminated" with some friends last night and there's a scene where they give the main character (elijah wood) a boiled potato with salt...it was clearly meant to look totally unappetizing but i exclaimed, "I WANT A POTATO!"

so obviously i am having a pretty wild potato craving despite the fact that i have for the most part been ignoring it. really i should just roast some up but i've been trying to limit myself to stovetop cooking because of the heat...

Old 07-15-2007, 09:29 PM

Give in to the potatoes... I've had wicked potato cravings for the past few WEEKS.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:12 PM

It's hot as Hades up here. I always say that people where I live can't complain about the heat, because we belly-ache about the long winters for months and months. But, dangit, I'm pregnant and HOT!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

Old 07-15-2007, 10:37 PM

robina, congrats on your article! I used to do technical writing and production management for international humanitarian aid practitioners (whew), and am now writing a cookbook. That was a style shift to celebrate, which became particularly obvious when perusing my husband's law school papers.

We're moving to California two weeks from tomorrow! And in the meantime: fetching boxes, saying goodbye, handling logistics. After weeks of abject sentimentality, I'm in functional mode. That's a good thing.

A friend just gave me my first batch of things for the baby: a carseat, pack and play, toys, bouncer, bathtub, and lots of [very girly!] clothes. I am so grateful for this blessing, and I feel like all our needs for her are going to be abundantly met!

In the midst of eating loads of salads and healthy stuff, I'd have to say that fries are an integral part of a sound pregnancy diet. I make sure to get a serving at least once weekly.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:57 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
well most of you already know my situation with my fiance and megh so i won't post that here...i'm sure you are all sick of hearing about it anyway...such negativity...ick.

lets see...what am i grateful about...i'll start w/ gratitude... my dd megh, my dog tubby who is a newfoundland and my 3 cats sun, patience phillips and chip. this home i live in...its so cute...and the new one tom is fixing up for us...if i move there that is...for counselors and friends/people that care in person and on line...cuz i KNOW you mamas ARE real after all! what else...flowers and birds...after chatting w/ a friend today (thank you motheringbliss!) about tom and i, i actually had to stop and say hello beauties! to some goldfinches and sparrows flying over me...they were so beautiful and made my heart smile big.

baby is moving around still a lot. i have decided i want to go to individual therapy. i need it again...i'm realizing so much about myself and my mother and my relationship and how i like to parent megh and this new baby and so forth...i need to work thru some stuff and get support. i'm not as excited aobut this baby like i was when i was pg w/ megh...but maybe that's cuz she was my first and also cuz my rela w/ tom is so strained even from before i got pg so maybe i'm just sad and hurting and scared about that part of it all...and worried for megh that the baby will get favored and treated nicer than her...etc.

what else...i have been making some nice friendships here in MN and online. i am grateful for that too.

i'm feeling like i'm on my knees tonight...like i'm at my bottom emotionally and i'm rising up like a phoenix from the ashes...not sure where i'm flying but i feel a bit calmer now.

i will keep packing...don't know if its to split or to stay w/ tom. i kind of do hope we can work it out...i know there is possibility there. we just need to find the place where we can meet halfway and find a happy medium. maybe that is possible...maybe it is not. all i know is tonight i'm emotionally beat and ready to sleep.

i have been eating whatever...lately not the greatest...mc donalds sometimes...ummm gotta love their fries and soda...ummmm mr. pibb or dr. pepper. sigh........and then sometimes i'm ms. organica. avocadoes and hummus and vegies and fruit......lol i go to extremes. but i am trusting my body and i just kind of go w/ it.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

Old 07-15-2007, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganjoy View Post
robina, congrats on your article! I used to do technical writing and production management for international humanitarian aid practitioners (whew), and am now writing a cookbook. That was a style shift to celebrate, which became particularly obvious when perusing my husband's law school papers.
thanks!! tell me about your cookbook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganjoy View Post
In the midst of eating loads of salads and healthy stuff, I'd have to say that fries are an integral part of a sound pregnancy diet. I make sure to get a serving at least once weekly.
haha, this reminds me that i have YET to get myself some dark chocolate almonds! so many cravings, so little time...

Old 07-15-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine
tell me about your cookbook
It's a vegan, international fusion sort of thing that should be out next spring. The latest recipe additions have been stuff like Almond Pound Cake with Roasted Apricots and Coriander Creme Anglaise and Pineapple Zucchini Mofongo with Cilantro Lime Gremolata...

And baby movements, I almost forgot: baby has been dancing like crazy for several weeks now. It's cool to lie down and see my belly roll and bump from the outside.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:48 PM

It is nice to hear what everyone's up to.

DH and I finally spent some time together reading last night and he got to feel Sprig moving for the first time. That was nice.

On the not so nice front, DD is in the middle of a wicked fever and is sleeping very fitfully. She's never really been sick before, so I'm taking a bit of a wait and see approach. I think it may be molar related, as she's also very bitey. The first 4 molars were no fun, and it looks like these ones will be worse.

We went camping with another couple who have a girl DD's age for a week and just got back recently and it's been cute seeing how spending a week with other people in close quarters (we rented an RV) affected DD and DH. DD wanders around going "Kelly?" (the other mama's name) and got very excited when she discovered we had pictures of Kelly on our fridge. DH was totally inspired by Mike's 'just do it' attitude with respect to housework and chores and has been getting a lot done around the house.

DD awakes.. must run..
Old 07-15-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
yay! (i had only seen the weekly chat for twin mamas before, but i assume this one is an open chat? i hope so!)

well aside from being terrified i've given lead poisoning to my unborn baby...

i'm currently working on an article that was accepted for publication (!!) but they required some revisions i HATE so it's been a huge pain in the ass. have been working on that the last few weeks and i just want to be done already! i plan on getting it in tuesday or wednesday (a week before deadline, so i can look professional and easy to work with but, seriously, i feel like i'm pulling out my own eyelashes here, that's how done i am...

on the pregnancy front, little owlie (our nickname for him/her, don't ask) seems to be doing well -- moving lots as always, with lots of funny, stronger movements. we have our anatomy scan on thurs (won't be finding out the sex) so i'll be curious to know what she is doing in there when i feel certain weird jumps and bounces.

i also think i've finally popped in the last week. i feel SO pregnant (rather than tubby) and it's exciting. i mostly feel like i'm all belly and i feel super cute and sexy. (pics on wednesday!)

also, when the heck does the sixth month start? dr. sears says 21 weeks! that seems so weird. i found another chart that says 23 weeks and that makes more sense to me (but i've also found another site that says 22!). regardless i can't believe how fast it's going.

can you tell i'm procrastinating?
Congrats on the publication! That's fabulous! You should be really proud of yourself!
Old 07-16-2007, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googy View Post
Congrats on the publication! That's fabulous! You should be really proud of yourself!
thank you! i am, and i'm not, weirdly enough. it's the top journal in my field, so i know i should be over the moon, but mostly i'm just worried about appeasing the reviewers with this edited version since publication is pending revisions...you know? i just don't really want to get my hopes up since one of the reviewers seemed really hostile (and not in my field, which is especially frustrating!).

Old 07-16-2007, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robina_josephine View Post
thank you! i am, and i'm not, weirdly enough. it's the top journal in my field, so i know i should be over the moon, but mostly i'm just worried about appeasing the reviewers with this edited version since publication is pending revisions...you know? i just don't really want to get my hopes up since one of the reviewers seemed really hostile (and not in my field, which is especially frustrating!).
Ugh. I wouldn't take the hostility too seriously. As I'm sure you're aware, many academics seem to be really insecure people who only feel good about themselves when they are putting someone else down. Some petty little guy is probably getting his jollies out of giving you a hard time. I wouldn't take it personally. Make the changes they want (appease the giant ego) while still preserving the integrity of your piece as much as possible. I'm sure it will work out.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:42 AM

Does anyone else HATE those Axe commercials? The Bom Chicka Wow Wow ones? SO annoying! And so blasted sexist or at the very least, demeaning to women.

Robina-- Academic journals *shudder!*
But good for you. I have no brain for that. Perhaps I once did and will never know, I am a college drop-out. You should stop having children right away - mine sucked my brain right out of my head
I hope you're able to push through the revisions soon! I am okay with revisions, but I have a hard time following someone else's strict direction for them. Not sure if it's being bull-headed or uncreative or what...

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 07-16-2007, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter

OMG! I'm so far behind now. Off to carefully read what's up with everyone.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
Old 07-16-2007, 02:40 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, first, what's going on with me. :

We have a huge garden and I can't keep up with it this year! I'm too fat! Seriously, it's been so hot and humid here, I'm achy, and bending over is a big no-no. So I've been crawling around on my hands and knees picking and weeding. Last Sunday all of us (DH, too!) went out and picked green beans. I froze 3 gallon bags full and we desperately need to pick again. We've been enjoying zucchini and broccoli from it. I've got loads of tomatoes that I'm waiting to turn red and then I'm going to have to can like a mad woman (in this heat!) I usually love working in the garden, but this is not so much fun right now. That, and DD absolutely flips out if there are bugs buzzing around her so the garden isn't much fun for her.

I'm had an appointment with my Family Practitoner Friday. I was 23w3d and I measure 30 cm! Pretty funny, b/c he asked how I was feeling and I said, "About 30 weeks pregnant" and we laughed. We really laughed after he measured me. I'm feeling ok. Babies are moving a lot and I'm peeing SO much. DS (almost 4) always asks where I'm going if I leave the room, and I say, "To pee!" Last night same scenario and he said, "You have to pee a lot b/c of the babies in your belly, huh? If I had babies in my belly, I'd have to pee a lot too."

Potato craving--They're good for you! (well, not so much french fries, but those taste good!) You're supposed to eat 5 a week (?) on the Brewer diet, so eat up!

Awesome on the publication, robina! How're you doing with that deadline?

Gina--How long are your guys gone camping?

User Tag List