Do you rub in the vernix? (updated with photos on post #18) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I've read to not bathe the baby right away so the skin gets help from the vernix, but I'd never heard yet that we should rub it in. That was in a birth story I read yesterday.

Thoughts?

(edited: My son was super vernixy which might freak out my dad, etc.. Photos on post #18)

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#2 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 02:13 PM

We didn't bathe Isaac until he was about 5 days old and then it was just a washcloth rubdown. He didn't have a ton of vernix since he was almost 2 weeks "late" but we rubbed in what was there. It's supposed to be good for their skin. Of course he had meconium *everywhere* (as soon as he was fully born he let it rip!) and we wiped that off, but we must have missed a little patch above his eye b/c my FIL called him sh*t-face (in the most affectionate way, of course) for weeks afterward.

It's really not necessary to bathe a newborn IME. He smelled fine, good even!, and was super soft so no need to traumatize him with a bath.
#3 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 02:19 PM

dd wasn't bathed for a couple of weeks, i loved that fresh newborn smell.
#4 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 02:22 PM

We bathed Zoe three days afterward. She smelled so lovely, and being almost two weeks overdue, she still had a TON of vernix. What is funny is that my older DD who was born in the hospital, had hers stripped off of her, as they do, and her skin peeled really crazy like. ZOe's didn't. It's wonderful lanolin like stuff and wonderful for baby's skin.
#5 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter

I planned to not bathe the baby for a little while unless there's a real need. I just remember my last son has SO much vernix on his head and face, we called him cheese boy. I couldn't handle that much "cheese" on him for days on end and I would imagine it might make visitors uncomfortable (and I am supposed to care ) like my dad if he's around.

SO I am going to take it as it comes and do what I need to.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#6 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 03:11 PM

wow, that sounds great, not subjecting the babe to a bath immediately. Does anyone know, will the vernix wash off if the babe is born in water? or does it take a soapy rubdown?
#7 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 03:32 PM

I think it really depends on the baby. We're having a waterbirth, too, so I'm interested to see what it will be like.

Anneke was born just covered in meconium, so she did get more than just a rub down. My midwife typically does a lavendar/olive oil rub after the baby is born, so we'll probably go with that.

ETA: Ack, I am always doing this. I didn't realize this was a DDC! Don't mind me . . .
#8 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy View Post
wow, that sounds great, not subjecting the babe to a bath immediately. Does anyone know, will the vernix wash off if the babe is born in water? or does it take a soapy rubdown?
I think it would depend on how much time you spend in the water and how much you move the baby around in the water. The vernix is oily so there'll probably be some left even after being submerged like s/he would be in a waterbirth.
#9 of 18 Old 07-31-2007, 10:54 PM - Thread Starter

Yah, what she said. And some babies have more than others, so I guess it just depends!

#10 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 09:00 AM

Poor ds1 was dumped in the water right after birth, I didn't know better.
ds2 got his first bath when he was like 4 days old. Neither of them had any vernix on. If this one has it, I will rub it in and his first bath will be when he's a few days old, like last time.
#11 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 10:37 AM

DS was also washed right away...I remember trying to fight it, but they said it was a "biohazard" for the RN's unless he was cleaned. : Now I know better to allow them to touch my child without gloves!! (And why didn't anyone care to clean me off?? I was COVERED in blood as I hem. quite a bit?? I think I was the biggest biohazard)

Next time we are doing a drive through birth, and he/she WILL NOT be bathed. I strongly feel that it is there to help with temp regulation, and being a Nov baby...
#12 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 10:41 AM

Our second daughter was born at home with more vernix that our midwives had ever seen on a full-term baby, according to them. We just rubbed it right in. Couldn't find a digital pic with all the vernix, but here's a pic of her, less than a week later, looking totally normal (still without a bath, probably with some water cleaning):

Elly not vernix-y

I think we eventually (a week or so later) washed her hair with water. But we don't wash our kids with soap, just water (even now), so she retained the moisturizing benefits for some time!

We plan to rub the vernix in for this babe, too.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#13 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hezzy View Post
No, the vernix doesn't usually wash off in a waterbirth. Some comes off, you can see it in the water, but a lot is still retained on the baby's body.

DD was waterborn at home and had quite a bit of vernix for being 4 days late. We didn't bathe her for a LOOOONG time. We didn't rub the vernix in either (at least I don't remember doing that) but we weren't bothered by it anyway As soon as she was born and we got out of the pool, the MW wrapped her up to keep her warm and didn't bother w/ the vernix. I think since we didn't bathe her or rub it in, it just sorta got absorbed by her skin over a few days. Wait, we did rub it in her face some so that it wasn't all white looking,

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#14 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
Our second daughter was born at home with more vernix that our midwives had ever seen on a full-term baby, according to them. We just rubbed it right in. Couldn't find a digital pic with all the vernix, but here's a pic of her, less than a week later, looking totally normal (still without a bath, probably with some water cleaning):

Elly not vernix-y

I think we eventually (a week or so later) washed her hair with water. But we don't wash our kids with soap, just water (even now), so she retained the moisturizing benefits for some time!

We plan to rub the vernix in for this babe, too.
What a cutie she is! We still only use mild soap to wash hands, feet and tush. Everything else is washed with plain water.

I think most of the reason babies in the hospital have to be seperated from their moms is because they get taken away to be bathed and then have to go under the warmer because they are too little to regulate their body temp. If they never leave you, they can't get a bath and won't have to go under the lights (totally unnecessary IMO if they are skin to skin with mama and/or papa or wrapped and held)
#15 of 18 Old 08-01-2007, 04:29 PM

Quote:
I think most of the reason babies in the hospital have to be seperated from their moms is because they get taken away to be bathed and then have to go under the warmer because they are too little to regulate their body temp. If they never leave you, they can't get a bath and won't have to go under the lights (totally unnecessary IMO if they are skin to skin with mama and/or papa or wrapped and held)
:

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#16 of 18 Old 08-04-2007, 04:25 PM

My kids always poop all over themselves (and me) after being born, so we do a postpartum herbal bath together! I have never seen much vernix on them, however.
#17 of 18 Old 08-04-2007, 04:58 PM

I don't rub it in, and I may be the only one, but I actually DON'T like the smell of the vernix on my baby

i prefer the fresh bathed smell! LOL

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
#18 of 18 Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

I found some Cheeseboy images in my files so I opened my first Photobucket account. He was really cheesy!

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...nt=Image13.jpg

http://s198.photobucket.com/albums/a...ent=Image6.jpg

BTW, do you see that set jaw in the first pic? This child came out stubborn, opinionated and with an attitude from day 1! hehehehehehe

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page