Postpartum cloth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 03:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
One more thing to think about and buy! This is kind of a rambly post because I am thinking as I type. Before this PG I had switched to cloth pads for AF and I really liked them. I want to use cloth for postpartum too but I'd appreciate some BTDT advice. I don't have any of the heavy flow/overnight pads right now (my pads are just back-up for my Diva cup... can't use that postpartum LOL!). How many postpartum pads do you think a person would need? I honestly can't remember how long before the bleeding is more of a normal AF-type of flow...

I won't be up and around to do laundry the first few days, is it too much of a PITA to make someone else wash my pads? I guess it is not that different than diaper laundry. And the pads are so expensive... I was thinking maybe prefolds would be a cheaper/multi-purpose alternative. Has anyone tried that? Would I want to use preemie or infant size PFs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM

Honestly, I ended up just using overnight disposable pads for the first few days. I didn't want to mess with changing them every hour or two. For me, the flow was really heavy only for 2 days or so and then it tapered significantly and quickly. But when I switched to my cloth after the first week or so, oh it was heavenly! I remember vowing to myself that I would use them from the beginning after the next baby. But here I am again, thinking I'll just use sposie pads for the first few days. They're not nearly as comfy, but they also don't leak as easily. I always threw my cloth in with the dirty diapers and just washed all together. But I would never ask someone else to rinse my cloth pad, ewww.... I think if you used prefolds, you would want preemie ones, but I can't stand much bulk between my legs. I've since switched to a sponge for AF and I will never go back! I will use my cloth pads PP because I have to, we're not allowed to use anything internally, but when AF comes back, no cloth or disposables for me.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
Old 08-20-2007, 04:20 PM

I am planning to use cloth this time around also. Lucky for me, my dh will wash anything and not think twice. He's not shy or easily grossed out - it's just blood after all.

I have also thought about prefolds, i may just go with that. Though I have plenty of flannel and may find the time to make some big pads. I have made some regular ones in the past - it's quick and easy.

Good luck!

-Sara, working Mom to Fletcher (2003) and Magnolia (2008):, wife to Jim the best SAHD in the world (1999) NVC has changed my life
Old 08-20-2007, 04:23 PM

I just asked my midwife this very question! She said that I should use the disposable postpartum megapads for the initial heavy bleeding before switching to cloth.

I have been a Lunapad devotee for the last four or five years. My regular stash includes 2 overnights, 4 regular sized, and 4 minis. That's usually more than enough for my regular cycle, which is pretty light.

For postpartum, I stocked up on 1 superbig pad + 2 more overnights. Then, I also got 3 of the big thick pad inserts, 4 overnight sized inserts with wings, 6 overnight inserts, 4 regular inserts, and 4 regular inserts with wings. I also got 3 Mother of Eden brand overnight pads (each with 1 pad) + 3 more pads.

I have no clue if this is sufficient. I hate disposables with a vengeance. I am thinking maybe I should just get some more inserts. It's a bit of a luxury but I don't mind pampering myself at this time...

dd #1 11/15/07 and dd #2 unplanned and so glad the midwife was on her way!
Old 08-20-2007, 04:25 PM

I dont remember the flow the first few day's, but I do remember my mother FREAKING out when she was doing a load of diapers for me...I neglected to tell her I used a few infant prefolds as I was having some issues (chafing) with the paper/plastic type pads. She thought Sam had a huge BM that was bloody.

Needless to say, I nearly gave her a heart attack.

I've been stocking up a bit on mama pad's, I've been trying to get overnight ones, or just really long ones as I tend to have some "issues" overnight as to where the blood ends up How on earth it gets to my lower back...I just dont know.

My absolute favorite ones are from a MW who sells them on ebay. Perfect size, fit, and sooo cute. Mostly tie dye ones, so you'd never see the stains etc. She has many different sizes to choose from - I was just looking at a huge post part one that she made special for someone and was wondering if she'd make me a bunch. Frontier also sells glad rags fairly cheaply (often on specials...they work fine for me, but they aren't my favorites)

I used them for af after ds, but, really only bled a few times due to mc etc. I think right now I have about 10 overnight (going to give them a try pp, but I always have prefolds as back up for the heavy days) and then alot of other ones...but, I do feel the need to get some more longer ones.

Sorry for my babble...I dont think I even answered your questions...:
Old 08-20-2007, 04:27 PM

I use cloth postpartum. I even make my own.

this is what I have done for my past 3 kids....
for the first really heavy period, I use old prefolds. I trifold them down the middle and they work perfectly. they are very soft and absorb well. plus, they don't stick to your skin like disposable pads do. then I just throw them in with my diapers to wash.

the other thing about the disposable pads was that it really does start to irritate and chafe your skin, and you don't want that when you are already dealing with postpartum issues.

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
Old 08-20-2007, 05:24 PM

I decided to make the switch before my fifth baby. As far as quantity goes, I got the deluxe kit from Lunapads, which consisted of 2 long pads, 4 long liners, 3 regular (maxi) pads, 3 maxi liners, 2 minipads, and 4 mini liners. I also got a set of 4 winged maxi liners. Those carried me through pretty well, though like some pp's I used the gigantic disposables for the first 1-2 days.

This time around I am going to add to my stash the Heavy Flow Kit, which was not around when I had my last baby. It's three of the heavy flow pads, which are bigger than the longs (yay!), 3 heavy liners which you do a trifold on, and three long winged liners. I'm also going to protect my bed by getting a couple of lunablankets to sleep on (one and a spare). We just got a memory foam mattress topper and taking it off is not an option, so I need to fortify my side of the bed against me, diaper leaks, and spitups
Old 08-20-2007, 05:45 PM

I'm so glad someone else asked this. I hadn't even thought of it, but I'm another cup user, my only cloth are just back up or occasional use, not enough for this.

Monocyte, do you have the ebay name of that lady? I'd love to not pay an arm and a leg, but would like to have some thing more than prefolds around. I've used premie ( I think, the were tiny) in an emergency, but though it worked, I wouldn't want to wear them around much, or out of the house it just wasn't to comfortable. So looks like I'll need something.
Old 08-20-2007, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
My absolute favorite ones are from a MW who sells them on ebay. Perfect size, fit, and sooo cute. Mostly tie dye ones, so you'd never see the stains etc. She has many different sizes to choose from - I was just looking at a huge post part one that she made special for someone and was wondering if she'd make me a bunch. Frontier also sells glad rags fairly cheaply (often on specials...they work fine for me, but they aren't my favorites)
I bet we use the same one- Joyful Living Naturals. They really are fanastic! I e-mailed her to ask her advice about post-partum since she's also a MW and she actually recommended using PFs for the first couple of days (which I thought was awesome since I basically was asking, "How much more of your product should I buy?") and then after that the ones I use for overnight/heavy days would be sufficient. My homebirth kit came with some sposies and I may try them for a day or two, but the second I feel that nasty itchy business start up I'm switching to cloth!

ETA: I've bought a few of her "grab bag" seconds and I honest-to-goodness cannot tell the difference from her "1st quality" ones except for MAYBE a not-quite-sewn-straight line. They are great! And her daughters help her make them

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
Old 08-20-2007, 05:55 PM

Alisha, What's the sponge?

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 08-20-2007, 06:38 PM

I have heard nothing but good things about this place. http://hyenacart.com/HomemadeMama/index.php?viewall=1
Old 08-20-2007, 07:13 PM

I just use old washcloths, cheap birdseye weave prefolds, preemie pfs, cut up pieces of hemp fleece. I never had an official postpartum cloth pad that worked well for me. Too much leakage!
But definitely the first day or so I have to do disposables. I can't keep up with all that bloody laundry.
Old 08-20-2007, 07:15 PM

Oh Gina, the sponge is a sea sponge inserted internally like a tampon.
http://www.jadeandpearl.com
Old 08-20-2007, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBrownDog View Post
I bet we use the same one- Joyful Living Naturals. They really are fanastic!

Yes, that's her!! She really is super sweet (and apparently gives discounts on another board...I need to find that info!!)

Wonder if she'd do a mini coop for us?!
Old 08-20-2007, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's her!! She really is super sweet (and apparently gives discounts on another board...I need to find that info!!)

Wonder if she'd do a mini coop for us?!

I did find her, I suspected it might be.

If we get get a little coop that would be great! I'd rather spend as little as possible
Old 08-20-2007, 08:49 PM

I've not used cloth for post partum yet, but I use cloth and the Keeper during my AFs. I bleed very heavily post partum, and I'm not sure I'm ready to give up on a few days of disposable pads. That's really hard for me to admit, as I'm a total hippy in other ways.

I was thinking that I'd switch to cloth after the first 2-3 days. But we have enough infant prefolds around here to last both me and the babe a few days without washing, if need be. I'm most worried about leaking; maybe I could sew a fleece panty or something?

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 08-20-2007, 09:00 PM

I'm in if you want to do a co-op! I've been looking at these too (not necessarily from her...) and I was trying to figure out if I really wanted to invest in something that I can just "live with."

-Manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
Old 08-21-2007, 12:45 AM

So...she is willing to talk about doing a mini coop for us!

What do we all have in mind???

(We will probably have to move it over to the yahoo group, right?)
Old 08-21-2007, 12:53 AM

I'm in on the co-op. I was just thinking the other day how bunchy and uncomfortable the sposie PP pads are.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:35 AM

I was thinking about this and I just can not be sure how I can fit it all in the budget in time. LOL Soooo much to do!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 08-21-2007, 01:47 AM

I can't use sposies and I also have a problem with using a large piece of cloth like a PF I think. I know when I've used washcloths for several hours, I begin to get chafed. If it's not contoured to fit and is bulky it just doesn't seem to work for me. I feel like a freakin' princess

So I guess I will end up uncomfortable for a few days until I can switch to my HH cloth because I just can't add more pads to the budget. Though I might be interested in the co-op if money hits at the right time!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
Old 08-21-2007, 01:54 AM

Quote:
So...she is willing to talk about doing a mini coop for us!

What do we all have in mind???

(We will probably have to move it over to the yahoo group, right?)
Awesome, Kelli!

I wonder if she'd be willing to sell by the piece or if she'd prefer to do packages like she does on ebay. I'm thinking I'd want maybe 2 or 3 more of the 14" post-partum ones and then maybe 3 or 4 of the medium ones with the "flare" on only one end.

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
Old 08-21-2007, 01:55 AM - Thread Starter

I'd be interested in a co-op. Not sure how many pads I could get, probably some of the big postpartum ones and then maybe I will supplement my regular and panytliner stash as well if the prices are right. I love the ones I saw on her auctions!
Old 08-21-2007, 02:59 AM

I would do 3 of the PP pads and a grab bag of liners and pads (seconds like shes selling on eBay) if she's willing to do this.

Maybe we should open this up to all the DDCs? Just a thought of how to get more interest and maybe thereby lessen our price.
Thoughts?

Manda

Old 08-21-2007, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post
Oh Gina, the sponge is a sea sponge inserted internally like a tampon.
http://www.jadeandpearl.com
That's really interesting...I never heard of those. Has anyone tried those and the cup and have a preference? Seems like the sponges would leak as much when you remove them. I know we can't use them yet, I'm just planning ahead...
Old 08-21-2007, 04:25 AM

I'm a sponge user too. LOVE them! I stopped having cramps at all when I switched to them from tampons. Never tried the cup though.

Manda

Old 08-21-2007, 12:29 PM

Keep us posted about a co-op... I would LOVE to get (and really should due to sticking issues last time) some good cloth but we have so much left to buy that I just don't know if I have $25 to spend on each set of 3. I did think about doing one set of three and one of her mix-matched sets of 5. Just not sure again of how many I will really need.

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
Old 08-21-2007, 03:28 PM

A co-op would really really help!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 08-21-2007, 03:33 PM

Can you feel the sponge?

I am afraid to try the cup because I feel like I might be really uncomfortable. My hubby calls me the Princess and the Pea because I like my comfort!

Old 08-21-2007, 03:39 PM

Gina, I don't feel the sponge at all! But if you have a heavier flow, it only last an hour or so before you have to rinse it. I had a pretty light flow while I had an IUD in, so I could get away with just rinsing once every 12 hours or so. But then after my miscarriage in September and having the IUD removed, my flow got quite heavy. Every cycle, the first two days was terribly heavy (the heaviest it's ever been in my life, and heavy enough I went to the ER the first time and was dizzy/lightheaded from the blood loss and would have to take it easy on those first two days). I would have to rinse every 30-60 min. at the heaviest, and more often every 1-2 hours for those first few days. Sometimes I would use two sponges (they come in 2 packs and this is suggested if your flow is heavier). I could kind of feel them in there when I had 2 sponges in, but then I could go 3-4 hours, which was nice. The little I could feel them wasn't enough to bother me though and I'm pretty sensitive too. I hate tampons. The Diva cup didn't work for me. I could just never get it to feel right. It does hold more, but if it doesn't work for you, you're out $30 since you can't return it or pass it onto someone, kwim.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

User Tag List