surprise surprise, I failed the test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

took my glucose test yesterday and I failed.
seriously, I am not surprised. (and I am not really concerned either) I am already insulin resistant and have been feeling like my sugars were out of wack due to my insane sugar cravings (only happens when I am out of wack) but still, to now have to go do the 3 hour test with toddler in tow.

sound like fun!!!???

Jessica-
college student and mama to 7 kiddos!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 05:51 PM

Sorry to hear that, Mama.

Oh, oh...can I come along? I luurve taking toddlers along for medical tests!

When I had my bloodwork done at the lab, the tech wouldn't let me hold dd2 in the sling while I had my blood drawn. Because...ur...."it wasn't safe." See, it was safer for her to run around the lab with all sorts of equipment and blood samples, etc, lying around...

I'm sure you'll have a great time chasing yours...
#3 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwisdomskr View Post

Sorry to hear that, Mama.

Oh, oh...can I come along? I luurve taking toddlers along for medical tests!

When I had my bloodwork done at the lab, the tech wouldn't let me hold dd2 in the sling while I had my blood drawn. Because...ur...."it wasn't safe." See, it was safer for her to run around the lab with all sorts of equipment and blood samples, etc, lying around...

I'm sure you'll have a great time chasing yours...
please come along! can you get a flight to idaho???

I am not too worried, I know people fail the 1 hour all the time and pass the 3, but I have to have something to gripe about right now when I am in such a good mood and nothing else is bothering me right??

Jessica-
#4 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchywannabe View Post
please come along! can you get a flight to idaho???

I am not too worried, I know people fail the 1 hour all the time and pass the 3, but I have to have something to gripe about right now when I am in such a good mood and nothing else is bothering me right??
My parents live in Boise! Unfortunately (for you and them), my mil is next on the visit list...whenever that happens... Dh and I were just looking at the calendar and freaking out a bit!

Gripe away... I'm glad you're in such a good mood!
#5 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 06:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Gripe away... I'm glad you're in such a good mood!

I just moved from Boise! we lived there 5 years, and are now about 20 minutes away!

The kids all started school yesterday and it is so quiet! they are loving it and the transition from homeschool has been so easy for them. I am just loving this time with my 3 year old-we have never had alone time since she was born!

Its been nice around the house! I better enjoy it!

Jessica-
#6 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 06:06 PM

That's fantastic! I'm glad the transition is going so well for all of you!

Next time we plan a trip out to Idaho, I would love to meet up with you! The girls and I just spent 2 weeks there in March.
#7 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 08:39 PM

Jessica I failed mine too. What was your number if you feel comfortable telling? I got 151. I am so bummed. I am not to leave the clinic for the whole three hours, either.
I am really scared I could be truly, not just gestationally diabetic b/c I am so overweight and am craving sugar so bad I feel like an addict. And not only am I craving it but also giving into my cravings. Aaaahhhh

Anyway sorry to make it all about me, just wanted to commiserate. I'm sorry you have to go through the ordeal of a 3 hour Jessica!
#8 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathteach View Post
Jessica I failed mine too. What was your number if you feel comfortable telling? I got 151. I am so bummed. I am not to leave the clinic for the whole three hours, either.
I am really scared I could be truly, not just gestationally diabetic b/c I am so overweight and am craving sugar so bad I feel like an addict. And not only am I craving it but also giving into my cravings. Aaaahhhh

Anyway sorry to make it all about me, just wanted to commiserate. I'm sorry you have to go through the ordeal of a 3 hour Jessica!

I didn't even think to ask what my number was!

I a sorry you have to go through the test too. I am actually waiting for myself to be declared type 2 diabetic any day now too. it is really common for the insulin resistance (that I have now) to turn to type 2.

Guess we will see huh?

Good luck on your test!!!

Jessica-
#9 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Thanks. Hey do you mind me asking you a couple of questions?
How did you know you had insulin resistance?
Are you on any meds (like metformin or glucophage?)
Do you think your sugar issues are due to lifestyle?

If that's too personal please disregard. With me I just have bad weight and food issues. I have been as low as 120 and as high as 220 and I'm 6-1. My mom is type 1. I've never been told I was insulin resistant, I'd like to find more about it.
#10 of 37 Old 08-23-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Thanks. Hey do you mind me asking you a couple of questions?
How did you know you had insulin resistance?
Are you on any meds (like metformin or glucophage?)
Do you think your sugar issues are due to lifestyle?

If that's too personal please disregard. With me I just have bad weight and food issues. I have been as low as 120 and as high as 220 and I'm 6-1. My mom is type 1. I've never been told I was insulin resistant, I'd like to find more about it.
I don't mind answering!

I was diagnosed with PCOS 7 years ago. One of the tests they did showed that my glucose/insulin ratio indicated insulin resistance.
I was on metformin for a while, but I don't have insurance to cover it right now - or for several years. But I seem like I can tell a difference, and was starting to feel like it was getting worse before I found out I was pregnant due to the sugar cravings etc. that is the only time I want sugar is when I am out of wack.
my sugar issues are definitely due to medical reasons. I actually don't ingest much sugar on a normal basis.
HTH!

Jessica-
#11 of 37 Old 08-24-2007, 08:21 AM

Mine is Tuesday. I'll be shocked if I don't fail. I have the thrush, which *might* explain the sugar cravings, but I'm pretty sure I have some bloodsugar issues going on too. Ugh.

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#12 of 37 Old 08-24-2007, 08:47 AM

I failed the one hour with a pretty high score and did the 3 hour test yesterday morning. My OB told me that when she was pregnant, she failed her 1 hour by higher than my score and still passed the 3 hour okay. I think most people do from the little research I've done. The 3 hour test is much more accurate.

I didn't know sugar cravings were a bad sign though and I've definitely had those lately. I didn't feel sick during the test which I thought was a positive sign. However, I read that being sleepy during the test was a bad sign and I was definitely sleepy. Although, I did have to get up at 6 in the morning after a 12 hour fast...who wouldn't be sleepy after that? :

I hope I pass, will post when I find out.
#13 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 01:57 PM

Any updates ladies???
#14 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Any updates ladies???
I am going in tomorrow. I couldn't make it yesterday due to scheduling with the bus for my kindergartener.

I will update as soon as I know!

Jessica-
#15 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 03:02 PM

I failed the 3 hour test.

I hadn't really recognized that I had any symptoms and then yesterday I had like a cup of caffeine free soda and felt sick and immediately crashed into a nap. But since GD doesn't kick in until around this time in pregnancy, I guess it makes sense that I would start noticing it a lot more now. I had originally plan to refuse the test, but now I'm glad I didn't so I will eat better.

I'm supposed to be meeting with a diabetic counselor soon. I had my little cry about it, but I'm over it now I think. I'm looking forward to being able to test myself so that I can get a handle on what foods work and what foods don't.

Only have 10 and a half weeks to go and then all of these pregnancy problems will be forgotten when I have my beautiful little healthy baby to stare at. I keep trying to focus on that.
#16 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 03:41 PM

Aw Kristina I'm sorry. I know if I fail I will be devastated, because I know I did it to myself. I had so much stress early on in pg I just ate so poorly. I'm too embarrassed to say how poorly.

Let us know how it goes/what food plan they give you etc. And again I'm sorry Momma.
#17 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 03:42 PM

And Jessica good luck! I'm going Friday so my husband can watch my 16 month old.
#18 of 37 Old 08-28-2007, 10:26 PM

My test is tomorrow. I (naturally) looked up symptoms online since I am measuring large for gestational age, and I have several of the other symptoms; blurred vision, nausea (and projecile vomiting, for the record, for the past 2 days), fatigue... I want to blame it on my stupid cold but I can't help but be concerned. I feel like I need to take care of this IMMEDIATELY. *sigh*

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#19 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 01:50 PM

Katherine - don't beat yourself up. I don't think it really has to do with how you were eating before. In most cases of GD, your body is still producing the correct amount of insulin, but the placenta hormones are blocking it from being used. It's not your fault.

So when I said, I'm over it...that was a little premature. In fact, I'm veering closer to meltdown mode all the time. I haven't been able to visit with the diabetic counselor yet so I'm trying to eat better on my own and having a lot of trouble.

Picky eater + pregnancy no-no's + very little carbs = starvation.

I seriously think I'm going to be living on celery and peanut butter for the next 10 weeks. My only hope is that when I get the actual blood sugar meter, that my scores won't be as high as the glucose test and I can try to eat a little bit more normally.

*crossing my fingers* for you guys! Hope you pass the 3 hour.
#20 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 04:08 PM

No update from me. Had my first test last night at 7pm and won't find out until at least Friday according to the nurse. Felt really woozy/dizzy/tired right before the actual test, but it passed fairly quickly, so hopefully it was just hunger and the surge of sugar on my fairly empty stomach. Guess we'll see :/

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#21 of 37 Old 08-29-2007, 05:01 PM

Well, I have a GD class scheduled for tomorrow morning where I pick up my meter and strips and get a meal plan. So, I'll post tomorrow afternoon to let you all know what it's like.
#22 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

so I went in. I couldn't get there until almost 11:30 because I had to get my kindergartener on the bus at 10:30

I immediately got the hot flash so they put wet paper towels around my neck...i felt yucky for a bit, but then I was only tired through the rest of the 3 hours-and I did not even feel a bit hungry when I left and had to force myself to eat.

I should have results on Friday they said.

Jessica-
#23 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 02:28 AM

Thanks for the updates. That hot flash sounds scary CrunchyWB. MOrange, tell us how the class goes okay?
#24 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 03:07 PM

So why are all the limit levels different? I was told the limit was 150 and they pushed it to 155. I still failed with mine being 175 at both checks. I am going tomorrow to the 'education' and will get the tester thing. I am bummed b/c I am craving chocolate!! I want Hershey's nuggets with toffee and almonds in milk chocolate.:

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
#25 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 03:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2 '05'06 View Post
So why are all the limit levels different? I was told the limit was 150 and they pushed it to 155.

every lab has different levels. it is insane how much labs differ in their numbers and what is considered a normal result.

Jessica-
#26 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 03:19 PM

I got back from the class a little bit ago. Here's the scoop:

There were three other pregnant ladies there along with me and we were given a crash course on the nutrition stuff first. We got individualized meal plans based on our height/weight. We are aiming to eat 3 meals a day AND 3 snacks a day so that we essentially are eating every 2-3 hours to keep blood sugar levels more even throughout the day. We were given a breakdown of how many exchanges/servings of Carbs, Protein, and Fat we should have at each meal/snack. We were instructed both in how to count servings with exchanges/portion sizes and also by reading labels (my preferred method, where possible).

The only negative thing I could say about the nutrition portion was that they don't take into account Glycemic Index for foods so essentially white bread is equal to whole wheat bread. My DH was pretty ticked off when I told him about this and he was glad he didn't attend (and so am I) because he would have sat there and argued with the nutritionist.

Fortunately, I don't have to send in any meal logs, I only have to send in the blood sugar values from monitoring. I do plan to track my food though in case I discover something that I'm eating that sends my blood sugar through the roof.

There are some things that I might have found difficult like always having a protein at breakfast because seriously, I don't want to cook an egg or meat every single morning. I'm more of a cereal eater. Luckily, I went shopping last night and discovered a low glycemic index cereal called The Zone. It's from Dr. Sears and it has 14g of protein!! I'm so happy I can buy this because it totally covers my protein serving for breakfast. I had it this morning and it didn't take much to fill me up plus it didn't taste disgusting either so win, win.

The only real no-no was fruit juice. Can't have any fruit juice unless it's a tiny little serving and it's counted in the exchanges, but she'd prefer we didn't have it at all because it's essentially concetrated sugar and no fiber. Also, can't have fruit for breakfast because our bodies can't handle the fruit as well until later in the day. (Anyone else see the hypocrisy here in drinking 100 grams of pure glucose first thing in the morning for our test?)

The second half of the class was devoted to blood sugar monitoring. We each got an Accu-Chek Aviva system and a prescription for more strips and needle drums to refill the lancet device. We all had to test our blood sugar once to make sure we knew how to do it. Mine was 77 (3 hours after my breakfast) so perfectly normal. I was totally freaked about the finger prick. I can have them draw blood all day but for some reason, I hate the tips of my fingers pricked, but in all honesty, it wasn't that bad at all. We are supposed to test our levels 5x a day, record them, and send them in for doctor approval each week. The first two weeks records will be reviewed at our first Dr. appt where we'll also be getting an ultrasound (I'm assuming for size assessment).

That's about it, it doesn't seem so bad really. I'm going to try and stick with the diet especially at first to see how my numbers track. If they stay relatively normal, then I may give myself a little more breathing room, but at least I can test myself to make sure I don't let my blood sugar get out of control.

Sorry for the novel. If you have any questions, I'll try and answer them. Hopefully, some of you will pass and won't have to worry about it at all.
#27 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
This post was so helpful. Thank you so much! I go tomorrow for my 3 hour test, and I am kind of nervous. Hoping I don't pass out or anything.

I am really worried about this because I have realized that I don't really know HOW to eat properly. I have always gotten away with eating whatever... and I have a MAJOR sweet tooth.. so this is going to be really hard. Frosted Mini Wheats with extra sugar on them are a staple in my diet. : I know, not good.

I am mostly sad about not eating my favortie foods anymore IF this test is positive. But I guess that's the way it goes...

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#28 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 06:40 PM

mom0810 - In theory, you can still eat your favorite foods...you just have to count the carbs, protein, and fats and fit them into what you're allowed so really ends up cutting portion size mostly. Having said that though, I just looked at the label on my beloved Frosted Mini Wheats also and they have a whopping 45grams of carbohydrates (and that's without the milk) so not going to be having those any time soon.

Someone posted on another thread here that they never went over 120 when testing 2 hours after a meal no matter what they ate. I'm kind of intrigued by this idea especially considering they give the test to you in the worst possible way. No fiber to slow down glucose absorption, they tell you to sit still in the waiting room, pure sugar first thing in the morning...it just kind of seems like the test is designed badly.

I'm kind of intrigued now by the whole thing and will find it really interesting if I never have a high reading. After all, this sure is a lot of extra cash that they are milking out of me and my insurance company.

By the way, for those of you getting ready to do the finger pricking...it turns out pinky fingers are a bit more delicate on the pain receptors. Ouchies!
#29 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 07:00 PM

I have to go for my test next week. I am already freaking out about it. I tested myself at work a few times about 4 hours after eating, and its been in the 130's. So I am a bit nervous. I dread taking dd with me. She is 22 months old and is going to destroy the place while I sit and wait. :
#30 of 37 Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 PM

"Having said that though, I just looked at the label on my beloved Frosted Mini Wheats also and they have a whopping 45grams of carbohydrates (and that's without the milk) so not going to be having those any time soon."

GAH!: I love those! What else am I going to eat?!? I better figrue something better out b/c I haven't done well at all today. I had fronsted mini wheats (with a spoonful of organic sugar) for breakfast, about 11:15 I ate 2 very rich cookie bars (graham cracker crust w/ chocolate chips, buttersctotch chips, coconut, pecans, and sweetened condensed milk ). I ate one bite of the lasagna I fed the kids for lunch b/c I KNOW I had way too many calories and sugar from the cookies. I'm feeling hungry now, but I will not give in to eating more!! I am planning on making cheese potates for supper. I guess I'll be going to the store for some different cereal tomorrow.

And about taking kids with you- Dd thinks its fun. She said she wanted her blood checked too. lol She wants to hear the 'baby that's in HER tummy'. lol

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page