Care to share your plans for birth announcements? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-07-2007, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
With ds, we used the local printing company in Fredericksburg that did our wedding invitations.... but we now live too far away to make that easy to handle when we have a newborn on our hands!

SO...I'm interested to hear what your plans are if you are actually doing birth announcements in the first place! Can anyone recommend any websites?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-07-2007, 03:15 PM

We don't do Christmas, so no holiday card/birth announcement combo for us which is what I'm guessing a lot of families on here will do.

I think we'll do an announcement from Purple Stork this time around. I love that you can have several photos and I'd like to include one with ds and the new baby. www.purplestork.com Don't digital cameras make it so easy?!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:39 PM

I picked out some really cute ones online at this site, which offers a 35% discount on the four catalogs listed. But then we were at Target and my wife found a box of invitations she loved...so that's what we went with. We'll have to print them ourselves, but the pregnant lady gets whatever she wants.

Mama (non-bio) to REPlaySkateboard04HL.gifmy little man (6), and mama (bio) to babyboy.gif my tiny man (2/14)
Old 09-07-2007, 03:48 PM

I will *prob* do teh combo holiday letter with photos and announcement all in one, I do one (many more details) for personal people and a generic one for patients and send them out n reg #10 envelopes.. with postage at 41 cents per I will porb have to cut back and do some email announces this time too.. it depends on how much I get my act together!
Old 09-07-2007, 03:50 PM

I'll make my own with photoshop and then have them printed out at Target. 4x6 prints are only $.19 each. Then I just have to get to Michael's to get the right size envelopes.

I made my own for DD and they came out pretty nice, imo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathyha...7601197738738/
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 PM

we use a local printer.

we do send a seperate birth announcment than a Christmas card, because to us they are differnt celebrations.

The one we did for Theo was a 4 pannel folded thing, that folded into a standard invite envlope.

pannal one:
  • top tile : a gift
  • photo of my pregant belly before we went to the hosptial
  • bottom quote : Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father James 1:17

Pannel two:
  • top title = a mirical
  • Photo = u/S picture
  • bottom quote: Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee -- Jer 1:5

Pannel Three:
  • top tiltle = a blessing
  • photo of Theo less than a day old
  • bottom quote: Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward.Psalm 127:3

Pannel 4 --
  • all the stats:
  • and a bottom quote = For this child I prayed; and the LORD hath given me my petition which I asked of him – 1 Sam 1:27

We will be doing the same set up for this one; however -- the US will be repacled with a photo of Theo the baby and retitled "a brother" and the baby photo will be titled either "a brother" or "a sister"

I have Theo's framed in his room, i will do the same for this child.....some day when i am done with growing my family -- i will take ALL of them, we will do announcements that match for our adopted children too, and frame then as a set -- one for each child to have of the whole family.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 09-07-2007, 04:34 PM

I don't have any specific design plans yet except I want to put the baby's footprint on them. That way it's also a nice keepsake for grandparent-types.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:55 PM

I am going to save time and money by doing the combo announcement-holiday card thing. My DD was born 2 weeks before Christmas, so that worked out well. We just took a picture of the three of us and there was plenty of room for birth info and holiday greetings. It was so easy! We used Kodak online. This time I'm going to see if I can do several pictures on one card. I'd like to have one of the four of us, one of the new baby alone, and one of DD interacting with the baby.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:11 PM

I'll probably find a cool photo announcment and then make an obvious copy of it myself LOL. That's what I did last time and I liked how they turned out

Here's a link to last times

http://www.shutterfly.com/view/pictures.jsp

last time around I made up the photoannouncement w/ some random pictures and wrote in my older daughters stats. When she arrived it took me about 15 minutes to change out the pictures and stats. Made it WAY easy!

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

Old 09-07-2007, 05:47 PM

Well, I am a graphic designer and have been waiting to make my own baby announcement for a long time. I have made all four of my neice's announcements. I have been trying to stay as "green" and "eco-friendly" with this baby as possible. I have gotten most of my stuff as hand-me-downs and anything I buy will be organic or used as well. My sister is have an eco baby shower for me too.

Soo... my thought right now is that I am going to make my own recycled paper for the invite. I have a machine that is like a mini silk screener so I might use that to print the actual information about the baby. And then I am sure I will take a bizillion picture of which one will get printed and placed in to the announcement. I was hoping to make paper (with flower seeds in it that you can plant) for thank you notes, but that is probably getting way ahead of myself. If I don't do that, I would love to find an old-fashioned letterpress (the kind with metal type) to use and print on some nice recycled paper.

So many ideas.... so little time!

Mama to Kage (12/07) and Ember (6/09)
Old 09-07-2007, 06:30 PM

As an avid scrapbooker, I felt the need to make my own announcements last time. I had a bunch of pictures printed, and then printed an announcement on sturdier paper, folded the paper into card format, mounted the photo and had room for a personal note as well since we also used them as thank you cards.

This time, I'll probably do the holiday card/announcement combo but likely get it all printed on the card, including the photo so there's no cutting and mounting, which took a lot of time. I'll likely still leave room for personal notes though, but perhaps less, because thinking of those can take some time and I have some bizarre need to fill all the space.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:33 PM

I'm cheap AND lazy. We're ordering announcements from Shutterfly. I've got the layout and text, so just waiting for the final details and some photos to plug in. They are about 65 cents each and come with envelopes. We're going to combine them with a holiday letter also.

I like the footprint idea, though! Hmm.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:30 PM

We won't be doing announcements. I actually just posted about this in another thread. I just think it's strange.... but that's just me, I'm sure!

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
Old 09-07-2007, 07:33 PM

I want to do something cool on like mulberry paper- something real natural-looking but I have not seen anything I like online. I think I may end up making my own (like I am going to feel like doing crafts....) We'll see. I have to figure out how to print photos on natural paper. I am really dumb about these kinds of things... I guess I could glue them...

I am not crafty. At all.

ETA: I just found these- I guess I could just stick a loose picture inside.

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.c...6_1962_3041169

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 PM

you could use photo corners to attach a photo -- they come in big ol packs (100, 150, 200) and you can find them in natural or white and in non-acid ....

that might be better than a loose photo ......

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM

LOL, I have never done an announcement for my babies...and we're graphic designers too!

We have a small family and small group of friends, most people come over after the birth and see the baby for themselves!
Old 09-07-2007, 09:04 PM

We have lots of family all over the country, so I'm definitely looking at a photo card option...I love the ones on Purple Stork and Tiny Prints (www.tinyprints.com)....

loving the simplicity of this one

and also the martha stewart ones on kodak gallery

if i'm feeling up to it, we'll do a silly one for christmas...last year we took a hideous picture of my husband and i in bedazzled holiday sweaters and santa hats and wigs with sour expressions and sent it to our family members with good senses of humor...

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:16 PM

We made our own announcements with #1.

With #2, we had already come on staff with the ministry we currently work for. We send out prayer/newsletters every two months, so her picture and birth announcement was included in everyone's letter.

This time, I'm not sure. We'll probably include it in the prayer letter again, but I'd like to design something myself. We'll see.

Oh, I highly recommend the following mom designer for birth announcements:

Winged Feet Design

She's an online friend of mine, and I just received a lovely birth announcement from a friend that she happened to design.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM

I want to get professional pics done when shes about a week, so its depending on if the place we take her does them for us. Or we will wait for the pics and make them ourselves or something. Too much to think about! I don't even have my wedding pics yet!

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
Old 09-08-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
I don't even have my wedding pics yet!
I didn't either -- andd still do not have my enlargements

When i got Pregant my sis took over ordering the photos and putting together the album ... I got it the christmas after theo turned ONE.

I have no blow ups yet --- March will be 4 years.

A

Old 09-08-2007, 04:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marisa View Post
LOL, I have never done an announcement for my babies...and we're graphic designers too!
I guess it's true what they say, that it's the cobbler's children who never have shoes!
Old 09-08-2007, 08:08 PM

I'm still trying to come up with ideas. We are sending out an announcement that will need to have triple duty....1. Holiday card, 2. We got married,
and 3. We had a baby. Ideas are welcome...lol. We were just going to do a family photo with, from the XYZ Family...but my daughter has a different last name and that kind of tweeks her.

So what do you think of this idea. 2 photos on card....One of the family, and the other, taking a photo after baby, that is an ariel shot of our 4 hands...mine, soon to be dh's, dd's, and upcoming dd. Like a pile-on of hands, biggest on bottom up to new baby hand. We figured our wedding rings would be visible so it would not so subtly drop that hint. Then just, Happy Holidays from C, J, R and Whatever-We-Name-Baby.

Dorky?
Old 09-08-2007, 09:24 PM

I like your idea, Joanna.

BTW, This is going to sound dorky, but honestly it has worked well for us and no one questioned it. Except now a fouth baby's name throws a wrench in the works.

Since my youngest was born 6 years ago we built and maintained a website about our family, e-mails with that domain, and a newsletter. Except right now the website is down :

Anywhoo, it was www.taylexson.org and we called it the Taylexson Times for the newsletter and we often call ourselves Team Taylexson.

TAYlor, aLEX, jackSON. The name Taylexson is a combo of our three son's names and Team Taylexson incorporated all of us. We have three last names in our family right now (mine, my husband and third son, my two oldest) and that makes everything a pain in the rear when trying to use a family name.

Anywhoo, just a thought! Combine some names or make up a cute family nickname (like my husband's biking "group" nickname, Team Avacado which just incldes everyone he rides with. He wants jerseys!).

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 09-10-2007, 12:54 AM

For Matt we used Celebration Cottage (www.celebrationcottage.com) and we LOVED them.

This time around we're also doing www.purplestork.com and we might be using it as a Holiday Card as well depending on when baby comes. Its not the money per say, but the time issue of writing and sending out holiday cards right after having done the birth announcements. Also, the first anniversary of my mom's passing is dec 2, and I don't want added stress so its possible they may go out together.

Actually, we just got our pre-order envelopes from purple stork because I want to have the addresses all written out before baby is due. I just remember trying to do it after and it took weeks with a new baby. Now I just have to take the pictures, pick the design and wording, and stick them in the envelopes.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

Old 09-10-2007, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeseRjedi View Post
I'll make my own with photoshop and then have them printed out at Target. 4x6 prints are only $.19 each. Then I just have to get to Michael's to get the right size envelopes.

I made my own for DD and they came out pretty nice, imo:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cathyha...7601197738738/
That is DARLING! You are so talented!
Old 09-10-2007, 01:44 AM

I made my own with Emily--they ones you order in the catalog were just soooo expensive, and I remember looking at one of them and realizing that I could easily do it myself (and I am NOT crafty).

I bought some square pink flat cards and envelopes from a cool paper store, plus some vellum paper (its slightly opaque but you can still see through it) and ribbon. I cut the vellum paper to be the same size as the square flat pink cards, and then printed the birth announcement on the vellum with my laser printer. Then I took a picture of Emily, printed a bunch with my photo printer, and glued one to the center of each pink square flat card. Then I put a piece of printed vellum on top of each card, made two hole punches in the top, threaded the ribbon through and made a little bow at the top. Voila! Super easy and pretty and simple. We have one framed in Em's room surrounded by a collage of her newborn pictures--so cute.

Of course now I'm out of ideas and have no inspiration as to what to make for this babe...
Old 09-10-2007, 04:08 PM

Well I guess I am crazy. With DD#1 I handmade all her birth announcements. Each one was different because it drives me nuts to make more than one of the same thing. It was fun being creative. I had them all made and envelopes addressed before she was born. Then I printed out her info and added a picture.

I have made two so far for this little one, but doubt I will be able to make all that I need in time. So I might make up a digital one and get it printed as postcards at vistaprint. Their prices are really good.

Here is one I have made for current baby.
http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/ga...00&ppuser=8859

Here are a few of my favorites from DD#1
Old 09-10-2007, 05:03 PM

I cannot imagine doing a different one for each card! They're all adorable though! Inspiring.

I do cartooning like the babe on your cards and would love to do something, but I don't know how to get the images transfered and printed on cards. That would require yet one more thing for me to do!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 09-10-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
Oh, I highly recommend the following mom designer for birth announcements:

Winged Feet Design
That's who I am using, too! I "know" her from thebabywearer.com and she does beautiful work!

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)

User Tag List