let's pack our tool kits #1 starting / re-starting labor - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-11-2007, 08:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ok ladies, sooner than we think we are going to be facing natural labors and births ... or labors we want to be natural....

let's brainstrom together and share ideas

WHAT ARE GOOD NATURAL WAYS TO EITHER START LABOR OR RE-START STALLED LABOR???

(I will post other toolbox threads on other topice )

Granted ideally we will let our babies choose when to start labor -- butttttt there are times when you have to try to give it a jump start ... espcailly as week 42 approaches ... or if you are facing a medical induction for any reason (or like a freind of mine seeking a VBAC right now and allergice to Pit, if she doesn't have the baby by end of week 41 she has to havve a nother cs..).

also we all want to avoid Pit or anything to re-start a stalled labor. and may find ourslves with broken water or another situation in which "simply waiting on the baby" is not gonna work out (where i was in my last birth)

so

to START Labor (not in any order)
  • acupuncture
  • EPO internall and orally for the week before
  • a lot of sex in teh last month or two (women who have a lot of sex have been shon to birth in week 40 and not 42)
  • reflexology
  • caster oil
  • nipple stim
  • a lot of walking

and to re-start or streghten (this is where i am weak)
  • walking
  • nipple stim
  • ???

my question

can acupurcutre be used to re-start a stalled labor?

I know there are other herbs can that can be used to start labor -- what are they and can they be used to streghen or restart labor ..

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 09-11-2007, 10:48 PM

Ok...so, I I think to start labor you have a good list.

To restart...my understanding (am I right here) is taht labor usually stalls either early on, while the body is still organizing everything or if mom feels unsafe. threatend--so, I think you would try the stuff for starting labor listed here. You'd also want to check-in with yourself and make sure you feel comfortable with your situation and caregivers--asking your birthpartner to encourage everyone around youto create a quiet, calm environment etc.
#3 of 12 Old 09-11-2007, 11:28 PM

I can't add anything, but I can add to the nipple stimulation idea... I knew a woman in my prenatal yoga class last time around who was determined to get things started and used her breast pump for nipple stimulation. Her baby was born within about 12 hours.

I've always been impressed with her determination!
#4 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 03:19 AM

My midwifes use blue and black cohosh to start or speed up labor. I'm not sure of the dosage, but I know they put some in my water bottle with DD and she was born within 2 hours (about 10 hours total labor). I am thinking about starting on some herbs before 41 weeks this time so I don't freak out about losing my homebirth...but I still don't like the idea of using anything but the babies desire to come out.
#5 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 10:25 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
but I still don't like the idea of using anything but the babies desire to come out.
I totally agree -- but alas we do not live in a cave, nor a sod house in the of the fortier any more -- so there are times, like it or not, when we have to try to do something natrual to avoid something medical : and it is nice to have options.

Thanks for the blue and black cohosh suggestion.

Personally am really hopeing to have a great big tool bag of things to speed up / re-start a stalled labor as THAT was the real downfall for us last time .... water broke, labor stalled and would not restart ... so we had to go medical ....

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#6 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 12:33 PM

Blue Cohosh helps ripen the cervix and what not so it can be used for weeks in advance.

Black cohosh in contraindicated for pregnancy because it causes miscarriage (causes contractions) SO they can use it in labor to help you along.

However, it should be done under someone's care who knows what the herb can do. Be careful!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#7 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 02:48 PM

Hey I learned this the hard way for myself! LOL Peppermint Essential oil! I was using it as I needed the energy boost and it felt sooooo good on my poor feet. Only I was getting contractions from it all of a sudden. I stopped taking it. Now the midwife laughs at least we know what to oil me up with in labor. LOL

As for sex, not possible for me as hubby will not be here but maybe a breast pump is something I should get sooner rather then later.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#8 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 03:28 PM

Sex has never worked for me. I have alot of sex in the end (like, twice a day) and it has NEVER helped me go before 41 weeks.

Just makes me miserable with false labor. So, unless you want to sit around with braxton hicks contractions ALL THE TIME with no real labor impending - use this one with caution, LOL.

I've also done lots of EPO and it never worked either. I'm convinced babies just come when they darn well please. ;-)
#9 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 03:29 PM

This is a great idea! I'm taking notes.

I recently read that castor oil can cause the baby to pass meconium, which would lead in many cases to a lot of suctioning, monitoring, and other unpleasant things. The last thing I want is a bunch of doctors hovering over my baby after birth and not letting me go home in 24 hours, so I'm going to be very cautious before using castor oil. Just wanted to share what I learned.
#10 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Just rembered--my birth instructor mentioned that deep squats held for a long time (more than 3 minutes) can get things going.
I feel a little if-y on that one though, since we are supposed to practice the squats a lot. vertainly would not hurt to try, though.
#11 of 12 Old 09-12-2007, 10:31 PM

I feel the need to chime in and support the issue of "trust." It's an essential part of any toolkit. Yes, I have been in a desperate situation with dd1 and have resorted to herbs to avoid a c-section, etc. Now, I know better. Now, I trust birth a little more.

These things certainly have their place...but not as the first response to fear mongering and bullying from medical "experts." I simply won't allow anyone to treat me and my baby that way. And, if I'm in labor and can't stick up for myself, then my dh will certainly not allow it either. Birth partners need to be fully prepared to take on that protective role.

Sadly, many mothers and babies in the United States WOULD be safer birthing in a sod house than in a hospital. This is just cold, hard statistics... Look at our infant mortality rate...despite all of our fancy technology.

Anyway, there are very few truly evidence-based medical indications for induction. Babies come when they are ready and they deserve the chance to let us know when that is. If mama is okay and baby is okay, then everything is okay...no matter what the calendar or clocks say.

Stalled labor usually means that mom and baby need to rest. Really NEED to rest. Many times, baby needs that time to get into the proper position and make labor more effective.

Like I said, I've used herbs and I spend a lot of time studying and learning about them... But, I often see them being used in much the same ways as pitocin and cytotec. I really think that it's time more of us mamas took the radical stance that birth works...birth is safe...it's interference that's risky.

So, I add trust to the box...and love...lots and lots of love and support for tired, pregnant mamas. Massage, pedicures, manicures, foot baths, mother blessings, hair brushing, warm scented baths, delicious food, henna parties, belly masks, big hugs...
#12 of 12 Old 09-13-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
s for sex, not possible for me as hubby will not be here but maybe a breast pump is something I should get sooner rather then later.
actually while the sperm does soften the cervix, thus DH would be necessary -- the big O -- if you can accieve it also can trigger contractions... soooooo

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page