Baby suddenly seems real...sometimes - Mothering Forums

#1 of 13 Old 09-14-2007, 11:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just had to share...

So, this is my first pregnancy and even though my belly is huge, and I feel baby kicks all the time, and there's baby-stuff slowly creeping its way into my home this baby has not seemed really 'real' to me. I try to talk to her/ him, but just can't, can't come up with names, and as much as I love to imagine having a baby in my arms and being a mom, it still seems more like a dream than a reality that this is really happening. That's been hard because I am so excited to be pregnant and I can't wait to be a mama and watch my little one grow and learn and become his/herself...

Well, I was talking to DH last night. He is on a work trip to Hawaii and went snorkeling yesterday in an area with lots of sea turtles. I love sea turtles, and would LOVE to see one up close--so he was feeling guilty about being there without me. To make him feel better, I mentioned that in the near future, we could go back with the baby and maybe get to see some tutles as a family. He responded with his dreams of showing the babe all the wildlife in our area --and suddenly the pregnancy and impending baby just seemed real and tangable and imaginable to me--amazing!
Anyway, I know we all know that we are having babies, but sometimes it just feels more real than others...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 13 Old 09-14-2007, 11:38 PM

What a beautiful story! Thanks for sharing!
#3 of 13 Old 09-15-2007, 12:39 AM

I know what you mean... those rare precious moments when the fuzzy picture of the life ahead suddenly comes into sharp focus.

#4 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 02:00 AM

I can relate to that completely. Sometimes this just doesn't feel REAL to me... I don't think it will feel 100% real until she's born.
#5 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 AM

When I was pregnant with my first, I felt exactly the same way. I was very excited to be pregnant and become a mommy, but it just didn't feel quite real. The neat thing is that with my second and third, it's very real, for better or worse. After the first one you know what is to come and it's much easier to imagine the new baby inside of you.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#6 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 01:39 PM

I would agree... pg with my first here too, and my first "real" moment was when I tried on a pouch a friend gave me and suddenly thought, OMG a baby is going to go in there! But otherwise it's just a concept, really.

I LOVE Hawaii! Where is your DH? We were there in Feb. for our honeymoon and did the snorkeling but didn't see sea turtles. Maybe it was the time of year. Did he go to Hanauma Bay? (Oahu) You should totally go with the baby. It's gorgeous. We want to live there. (I know, off-topic but I just had to say that!)
#7 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 01:43 PM

My son is 3 and sometimes it STILL doesn't seem real. We'll look at him and ask each other, "Where did he come from again?"
#8 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
We were there in Feb. for our honeymoon and did the snorkeling but didn't see sea turtles. Maybe it was the time of year.
Hmmm...Honeymoon baby, huh?

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#9 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Month after the honeymoon actually That was the first month we tried but I think maybe I was drinking too much of that fabulous Hawaiin Kona coffee for the little swimmers to have a chance! YUM!
#10 of 13 Old 09-16-2007, 07:24 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace24 View Post
I LOVE Hawaii! Where is your DH? We were there in Feb. for our honeymoon and did the snorkeling but didn't see sea turtles. Maybe it was the time of year. Did he go to Hanauma Bay? (Oahu) You should totally go with the baby. It's gorgeous. We want to live there. (I know, off-topic but I just had to say that!)
He's at Volcanoes Nat'l Park.
We went to Kauai for our honeymoon and loved it--we only say ONE sea turtle the whole time, though (and we were there for over 2 weeks and snorkled everyday). We loved it too , and promised ourselves that we would go back every 5 years at least--next year is our 5th anniversery, and my dad (who travels almost every week for work, usually abroad, so has lots of frequent flier miles) just offered to give us tickets to go next summer!!!
#11 of 13 Old 09-17-2007, 01:04 AM

I am on my fourth birth and all of them seemed to not reaklly be real. It wasn't until just recently that it's REALLY hitting me this baby is real!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#12 of 13 Old 09-17-2007, 01:12 AM

It's becomming pretty real to me these days... well, nights! I'm cleaning house like a mad woman and having Braxton-Hicks. The only problem is that I get tired easy and tend to over do things. I keep having sick fantasies of scrubbing the kitchen floor on my hands and knees with a bucket of soapy water and a scrub brush. So far I've cleaned up most of the scribbles on the walls, cleaned the carpet in DD's room where she mashed bananas and drink mix into the carpets in places we didn't catch at first, nearly gotten all the laundry clean and almost sorted out, got DH to at least do a surface cleaning of the living spaces, and cleaned the furnace filters... And I watered the grass seed the other day. I've also been stocking up on food... like the ready rice packets and frozen and canned veggies. I'm thinking soups would be a good idea too. I really should be in bed right now instead of sitting here reading MDC and obsessing over things I can't do because I'd wake the house. Not too long ago this baby didn't really seem real, and there were days I didn't even really feel pregnant... almost like I was just fat or something... Go figure.

Anna
#13 of 13 Old 09-17-2007, 01:34 AM

It still doesn't feel real to me at all. I can't believe I'm going to be a mom- to 2 babies- to two little boys. I have so little experiece with infants. I've done most of what I need to do to get ready but still it doesn't feel real at all. And according to my math- these guys are likely to be here SOON. :

I guess this is just one of those times in our lives when we just can't imagine, we can't know what is coming. We just keep moving into the future, into the unknown and do our best to keep faith.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page