PP mama care - what do I need to buy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Basic question from a first-timer. I like the threads about having the fridge/freezer stocked and having guidelines for DH after birth, but I need to know a little more about how to take care of me.

Mesh panties- Are they reuseable? Can I just buy some cheapie bikini-cut panties to hold in the giant pads and throw them out when I'm done? Which works better? I'd rather not bleed on my clothes and mesh doesn't seem like a good idea.

Pads - How big & how many? Should I get the extra-long ones or the extra-thick ones? Or both? I've read to soak them with witch hazel then freeze them to soothe the nether-regions, but if they're soaked with witch hazel they can't soak up anything else, right? I'm not doing cloth. :

Sitz bath - Do I need to buy one of these or does the hospital give me one? Does it vary by hospital, b/c I don't want to be without one (I think!).

I'm sure I'm forgetting a millions things. Help me out experienced mamas! TIA!

Dee, mommy to Miss M 11/07 and little Miss I 5/10/10!
#2 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM

Thanks for asking, Dee. I was wondering the same thing. (I haven't worn pads since I was a teenager, so I have no idea what is available in that arena these days...)
#3 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 12:53 PM

I use cloth...but with DS the hospital totally stocked me up on pp pads. I think I switched to regular ones within a week or so.

As far as mesh panties go...I'm a big fan : I would wash them and reuse. They sound bad, but, they really were sooo comfy. They held pads on better than any undies I tried. I just pulled out my old meshies and DH laughed at me...shocked that I had saved them.

Sitz bath, I never had one. I did just sit in the tub when I needed to, but, I might try one this time around. I took my peri bottle with me everywhere though!
#4 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 12:57 PM

ok

here are MY OPIONONS .... (remember i had a 4th degree tear adn MUCH swelling -- much swelling.)

i too had not worn pads since junior high -- i was a tampon girl for what 20 years ........................

1. mesh panites..... the hosptial gave me mine. and extra to take home -- i wore them for first few days whiel the bleeding was really hevey -- but i think day 3 or 4 it was a lot lot lot better, maybe before that. i know that once i ran out of the mesh ones, and yes they are resuable, i wore my normal underware and didn't stain any. i liked the mesh panties -- they are sung without being really tight. kept everything in place.

what i did was spray the pad attach to the mesh apnties with a pain reflief spray -- like for sunburns. then place tucks medicated (which haz) pads over that, next to my skin.

I did that for the frist 4 or 5 days -- but again i tore bad.

for a while, right after the birth, i also had an ice pack stuffed in there. they had ice bags with fluffy cotton wraps -- the nurse would bring it full of ice, and i would use that on top of the pad / in place of the pad ... not sure how long, he was born at 1 am and all that night i know i had ice on, the nurse would help me change it when she came to check vitals. it was hard for me to do alone -- i hurt and it was awquard. not sure how long i kept the ice packs on......all night, then some.....

Quote:
As far as mesh panties go...I'm a big fan I would wash them and reuse. They sound bad, but, they really were sooo comfy. They held pads on better than any undies I tried.
ita!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. i bought the hevey over night long pads... i know i used all of one package, but i still have some left from the 3rd package (i had a package upstaris and downstairs).

the really hevey bleeding only lasted a shirt time, after that it was just like a period that kept going.

after that i did wear the liners for a while.

ALL bleeding was over by 4 or 5 weeks pp... even the pantie liner potting stuff.

I would not soak them with anything.

I used the witch haz tucks -- kept in the freezer the first few days -- laying them on the pad. I think if you soak the pad in anything, then it isn't going to soak up the stuff you need it to.

3. bath -- the hospital did not give me one. i never used one. i had a bottle with a top like a sports top they gave me to squirt water on my privates after a potty break ............... in teh hosptial they had a little sprayer that hooked to the water by the toliet, built in, kinda like a diaper sprayer or something -- that was awsome, the water temp could be ajusted like like a sink ................ but i never used it -- i would wipe VERY GENTELY with a tuck or two ... pat actually i didn't like the wet feeling the water bottle left me with.

i did soak in the tub, 2x a day, with epsion salt in the water ... advice of CNM.

--------------------- when you birth in the hosptial they stock you room with stuff -- mesh panities, pads, diapers for the baby and you can request more, but that way each time you need something you go to the cabnet, you don't havbe to call the nurse -- and generally everyone i know has taken the "extra" home with them when they leave. so when we were leaving there were 3 or 4 or 5 mesh panities in my stack, i packed them. (and the 3/4 full package of pre-mee diapers). --------------------

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#5 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 01:58 PM

Ditto to most of the stuff Aimee said. I had both my kids at a birth center and they didn't have mesh panties. I just used my regular panties (watever you would normally use during heavy flow AF. I don't think mesh panties are necessary at all.

For pads, I used the overnight Always with wings the first few days. Then cloth or regular thin Always w/wings after that.

No sitz baths here after either birth. But I did have the peri bottles and I think they put something special in the bottles immediately postpartum (maybe some witch hazel or herbs mixed with the water.) I just put warm water in it after that. Used it for a few days.

Other things that you will need:
Breast pads and lots of them whether you are using cloth or disposables.
Lanolin for sore nipples
And possibly a postpartum or nursing tea. I always have to have nursing tea to help my milk come in (I also struggle with low milk supply), but you have no way of knowing how that will go ahead of time, unless you are already leaking colostrum.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#6 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 02:03 PM

If you can find a postpartum herbal mix online for the bath (there are a few), I would soak in herbs as often as possible.

You may want a peri bottle. A squeeze bottle to put warm water on your hoo-ha as you're urinating and/or afterwards to cleanse. The hospital may provide one, I would call.

Once you're home, if you're planning on not being up and around much, you can use hand towels in bed or on the couch to hold the pad in place for a few hours.

Rubber gloves and witch hazel: Fill the fingers with water and tie them off and cut the filled fingers off. Freeze. Those can be put in your peri area to soothe and cool. Wrap one in a wash cloth soaked with witch hazel and lay against the sore area.

Witch Hazel compresses are a great idea.

If you have some small tears that are hurting when you urinate, use the peri bottle or better yet, draw a warm bath (just a couple of inches) and sit in the tub to pee.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#7 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 02:19 PM

I used the mesh panties for just the first day or two, which I liked bc I could just throw them away, then I used my own black cotton underwear--no stains on black!

I would buy the biggest pads you can find--seriously--and with wings for sure. Also get lots of pads in different sizes as the bleeding is less. I had to use some sort of thin pad for a few weeks and I kept running out bc I don't usually use them either.

I used a peri bottle that I bought myself--you know those bottles you can buy at the store that are for ketchup or mustard, with a tapered tip? It was perfect, but a water bottle with the right top would work too. I had to use warm water every time I peed bc it stung so bad.

A couple times a day, I did a sitz bath in warm water in a little tub thing that goes over the toilet (which they gave me at the hospital and I took home), but this time I'm using an herbal sitz bath. I heard that my hospital will give you an herbal sitz bath, but I'm allergic to witch hazel, so I bought my own from here:

http://www.toothlessgrin.com/herbal.htm

I'm going to make some ahead of time and freeze some pads with it too. The frozen pads are the BEST, OMG! They gave me some sort of frozen pads at the hospital, but the idea of frozen pads with herbs sounds heavenly to me.
#8 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

I used condoms for the ice packs. Best thing ever. Just fill them so they are not full, flat like a pad and lie them in the freezer. Just wrap some gauze around them and it feels great for the first two days pp. You can reuse them. I think I had 5 and that was plenty. Hope I won't swell as much this time though.

me, wife and mama to ds ('06) and dd ('07), my miracle dd ('12) and surprise ds (5/14) and to plenty pets!

twinsbrokenheart.gifbrokenheart.gif2/11, lost another twin brokenheart.gif 8/11

#9 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 03:22 PM

Condoms would be much easier than the glove idea and I can see how they're reusable (for freezing!)

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#10 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiaraRose View Post
I used condoms for the ice packs. Best thing ever. Just fill them so they are not full, flat like a pad and lie them in the freezer. Just wrap some gauze around them and it feels great for the first two days pp. You can reuse them. I think I had 5 and that was plenty. Hope I won't swell as much this time though.
You are brilliant!

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#11 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae
...I can see how they're reusable (for freezing!)

I still have a pair of mesh panties from one of my other births. Easily washable and reusable. I started wearing regular panties after a couple of days. Your hospital, birth center, or homebirth midwife will have the meshies, but confirm ahead of time if you're not sure and want a pair. (My homebirth midwife last time around carried them.)

Peri bottles are great--your hospital, birth center, and/or midwife will also have these. I have a couple floating around. Filled with warm water (and perhaps a squirt of iodine or herbal bath), they really do a great job keeping you clean during those first few heavy bleeding days. Since you (or your insurance) is paying for it, take it home!

For sposie pads, I'd buy one large pack of the largest, longest pads you can find. Then another pack one step down, and a third a step down from that.

Sitz baths--just fill up your tub a couple of inches with warm water and epsom salt, and soak your birthy parts in it for 20 minutes at least once a day for those first few days.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#12 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 05:36 PM

I also bougth in 2005 a pack of the dispable bed pads, about 24 inches square. I put on on the bed and one on the sofa aftrer my water broke. and i think i might have had on one the birth ball -- i know the doula we had last time, who home birthed, talked about useing them at her home birth --

when we got home i put on under my sheets in case my pad leaked at night the first couple of night -- it never did.

But the big ol pack of them ... i used 3 or 4 in 2005. Sis had a baby in 2006 and i sent her twn of them.

I am due again in 07 as is my other sister -- i have sent her some to have on hand and i have enough for me, and will still have extra too

They are by no means necessary -- but our Bradkely Teacher suggested them, so i got them -- they are cheap -- in teh alie with the adult diapers and so on.

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#13 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

I loved the mesh panties and pads at the hospital and used them while there. I also loved the ice packs they put in for the first 12-24 hrs or so, but didn't use anything like that after that time frame. Once home I wore regular undies and used overnight/heavy flow/long type pads and they worked fine.

The hospital did give me a sitz bath thing, but I don't think I used it as much as I was supposed to. I did do the squirt bottle thing all the time though.

Stacie (34)
DH (34) ~ DDs (14, 11, 10) ~ DS (6) ~ (11/06) ~ DD (3) ~ DS (1) ~ Surpise BFP 7/2011 pos.gif

Yes, I have a blog for moms too orngbiggrin.gif

#14 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much for the great tips!

I just bought a huge bag of 45 extra-long super pads without wings. Waaay back when I wore pads the wings bothered me so I thought I didn't want them. Sounds like I need to buy different absorbencies too so maybe I'll just exchange the ones I got for ones with wings.

Love the frozen glove/condom idea!

Good to know the hospital might hook me up with some things. Guess I'll have to call and ask.

One more question - what are nipple soothies? I've heard they're the greatest thing ever but haven't seen anything actually called "Soothies." Is this it?

Edit: Doh! Busted shopping for coffee... here's the soothie link, I think.

#15 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 06:07 PM

that link takes me to coffeee on amazon.com

??????

#16 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 06:16 PM

Oh man that made me giggle- I suppose you could put those little senseo bags on your nipples? The cooling might feel nice?

Soothies are these:

http://www.soothies.com/gelpads.html

I used them when DD was weaning and things were sore because her latch got weird. They are like a sticky goo on one side and just cloth on the other- I don't know if I'd like them for the constant-nursing-newborn phase. I just used Lanolin and regular cotton nursing pads at that point when I felt like a needed something- Generally though I left my nipples alone.

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#17 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 06:17 PM

Soothies are great. Keep em in the fridge and stick em on when you're sore.
#18 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 06:44 PM

: UGH- I have sooooo much to learn. I did not give this a thought.

What else do I need to know????

Kerri, mom to Doran  angel2.gif  (born still 7/6/05 at 33 weeks), Mairaed (11/16/07),  angel1.gif 11/15/08 at 10 weeks,  Kieran (11/2/09).   angel1.gif 1/11/11 at 15 weeks
#19 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM

First timer here...

Why isn't this in any of the books????????

Thanks to all you wonderful experienced mamas for the information. Keep it coming.

Heather, mama to Milo Grey 11.14.07 and Harper Moon 08.06.09

#20 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 07:59 PM

My first was a C-section, so my nether regions weren't sore... just my incision site.

You don't need a sitz pan to do a sitz bath. I've done a lot of sitzing in the last for vulvar vestibulitis and my method was thus:
  • have a bowl full of ice, water and a towel available nearby
  • run water in the tub as hot as you can stand, sit for 2 minutes
  • stand up and apply icy towel to pudenda for 30 seconds
  • repeat about 3 times
This is a GREAT way to fight inflammation and relieve pain.

I had a peri bottle, but it basically gave me what felt like diaper rash.

RE: post-partum bleeding, I used the big hospital pads and mesh panties while in the hospital (three days) and then regular pads and underwear at home. The first week was like a heavy period. There was some random bleeding on underwear and sheets a couple times, but really, I think if you are used to dealing with periods, post-partum bleeding is not a major struggle (although I don't know if you have less bleeding with a section than with a vaginal birth... I also hemorrhaged during my section, so may have had less blood in the area later, I don't know).
#21 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 08:51 PM

I know i had my first AF vist at 7 weeks PP and was really upset the pp bleeding had just stopped totally -- it gets weaker and wealer and so on then you spot a while ...... so i think i must have had pp bleeding till week 5 pp or so ....

I know there is Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much that is NOT in any of the books,.............yeah hot tubs are nice for contractions, but come one tell us what we really need to know :

#22 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBrownDog View Post
Oh man that made me giggle- I suppose you could put those little senseo bags on your nipples? The cooling might feel nice?

Soothies are these:

http://www.soothies.com/gelpads.html
Well, the senseo pods are round, about the right size and unnaturally cold when I forget and leave one in the machine. Isn't coffee astringent? I'm getting an idea....

Thanks for the link, LBD. Now I know what the package looks like so I can find them at CVS or Walgreens, according to that website.

Glad some other first-timers are finding this useful too!

#23 of 36 Old 09-20-2007, 09:56 PM

Thanks for this thread!

Someone mentioned elsewhere that Depends disposable unders are a good substitute for pads for the first few days. I guess you can just toss them insead of worrying about leaks. I hadn't even thought about how much lochia there might be...

Has anyone tried this, and is it a good idea?
#24 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 04:58 AM

def. a peri bottle!!
#25 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganjoy View Post
Thanks for this thread!

Someone mentioned elsewhere that Depends disposable unders are a good substitute for pads for the first few days. I guess you can just toss them insead of worrying about leaks. I hadn't even thought about how much lochia there might be...

Has anyone tried this, and is it a good idea?

The hospital sent me home with a couple pairs of the elastic/mesh undies and ENORMOUS pads. I was SO glad to have them!!! The undies were so comfortable, way more than anything maternity (in fact, why don't I wear those now???) since they breathed so well and were more like short shorts. They didn't have a tight elastic waist band on my sore tummy either (no cuts, just sensitive) The boy-leg style made it nice for the giant pads sticky wings too. I had incredibly heavy PP bleeding, nothing serious, but my periods are pretty heavy too (I'll admit, a big draw to getting pregnant again) The PP bleeding was much much heavier.

Count on coming out of the hospital still looking pregnant too. Like, quite pregnant. No skinny-jeans, bring your full panel.... or if you're doing HB, make sure to have them clean and not packed away yet

I got sent home with some wonderful stuff that I'm sure there's a natural alternative to, but I didn't car. It was a neosporin-type SPRAY. It felt cold, was slightly lubricating and a little numbing on the hoo-ha. It promoted faster healing, but it felt niiiice.

A good stool softener too. I forgot one day and : Ow. Who knew childbirth and lactation could do such a number on your bowels? I think it was even the lactation consultant that would be the most pesky about reminding me to keep taking those and the prenatals.

As I just saw in a December DDC post.... what you DON'T want to buy is a lot of new shoes. My feet went up a full two sizes by the end of pregnancy and didn't come down for a few months and then it was a size an a half. Juuuuuust enough to have to get rid of all but my flip-flops.

I've seen it in books, so maybe not a surprise, but you'll sweat a LOT pp. I often woke up thinking something was wrong, my back soaked as much from sweat as my front from leaky boobs.
#26 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 09:07 AM

:

I remember the nurse coming in with my stool softener, and I was like, "Um, no, thanks, I'm fine" and thinking "Whatever!" but yeah, take them. Going to the bathroom after you have stitches takes some courage!

I was surprised at how pregnant I still looked! That's another good reason to never go anywhere without the baby for the first couple of weeks--so no one asks you when you're due! :
#27 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 10:34 AM

yes to stool softeners.

the mesh panties were awsome cuz they were not tight at the waist but tight all over for no leaking or slipping around.

i could wear my pre-pregancy jeans home but i know most can not -- however even if you are thin enough like i was -- the down there parts HURT and you don't want anything rubbing them... think sweats or yago pants, not kakies (even materuntiy ones).

YOU WILL SWEAT A LOT, and you will feel like you smell bad for days -- no one else notices. your body is dropping excess hormones and via skin is one way.

Aimee

#28 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 11:48 AM

I used a couple depends right after the birth, I liked it because I didn't have to deal with the pad shifting and blood going up my backside. I suppose that's not a very 'crunchy' option, but it was convenient and I'd do it again if I happen to be given some or find some on clearance.
#29 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I used a couple depends right after the birth, I liked it because I didn't have to deal with the pad shifting and blood going up my backside. I suppose that's not a very 'crunchy' option, but it was convenient and I'd do it again if I happen to be given some or find some on clearance.
give yourself to forgo your chruncy standardds for a few days or any standards

order pizza or take out --

let the laundry or dishes go a day or two

use disposiable products that you normally would not use -- we use disposable diapers untill the cord falls off for example.

go easy on yourself

Aimee

#30 of 36 Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM

Oh yes, by the time I had three kids I realized what things are truly important in the grand scheme of all things eternal - and some things I really did not need to stress myself over. Using disposables is not something I'm going to feel guilty about. :-)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page