choosing a pediatrician - no pre-visit allowed? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So I've been putting this off, because I never seem to be able to find good doctors. But I found a few family doctors/pediatricians nearby and tried calling an office to see if I could visit with the doctor before making the choice. They said nope, I would have to pay for an actual appointment and of course my insurance won't cover an appointment until the baby actually arrives.

Other things I've read highly recommend meeting with the doctor before choosing - makes sense, and seems important. So if the office (the whole office, with maybe 10 doctors) doesn't do this, does that automatically exclude them from my search?

What are other people's experiences with this?
#2 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 12:49 PM

I think this depends on the area where you live. Here, I would never dream of choosing a ped without interviewing several beforehand. But I have friends who come from other parts of the country where this is not done.

Sometimes there are online reviews of doctors that can steer you in the right direction, at least.
#3 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 12:54 PM

we crossed off any doc that didn't do a pre-meeting for free off our list

I interviews over 5 -- all of whom met with us for free and answered our questions (and one argued vax with me ).

I'd say if they won't meet you -- a pregant mom -- for free once to let you get a feel ... you don't want them anyway !!!!

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#4 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 12:59 PM

I think it's strange that they can't schedule 10 minutes for a doctor to have a free chat with you in his office about his beliefs and preferences and style of practice. We did that with the first ped we picked, when we were PG the first time. They acted like it was completely normal to want to do that... we could have interviewed all 5 doctors if we'd wanted to.

Not to say it might not be a great practice and very accomodating once you get to know them, but that's not the vibe I get.

Maybe you can post in Finding Your Tribe or to a local AP group to hear more about that office and others... that's how we found our current FP who we are really happy with. I didn't have a previsit with him (had an urgent reason to go so we didn't have time for a leisurely chat first) but I had heard to many good things that I felt pretty safe.
#5 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 01:06 PM

Most of the ped.s near my house (who are covered by our insurance) are part of a gigantic practice that does not allow interviews. They have an open ouse once a month where you meet with whatever doc is running the open house--but the thing is that there are more than 15 docs, and from what I have heard they have a wide range of philosophies. So, after the baby is born the practice 'lets you' schedual your appointments with different docs until you find one you like : . I am really unhappy with this system--but it seems to be our only choice. There are very few family practice docs in the area who are board certified--the most natural oriented one has a really long waiting list. I picked my own family practice doc because she advertised as someone who tries to stay as close to naturalpathy as possible--then, when I visited her when I was first pregnant she highly recommended a local hospital because 'they don't do that rooming in thing, which is too tiring for new moms' and 'they'll give your baby formula if s/he is hungry and you are sleeping'. Needless to say, I'll be on the market for a new doctor soon...
Anyway--sorry about the rant. But, yes, in my area there is a no-interview policy at most offices. I figure that DH and I are both VERY assertive, so probably would be able to handle a bad doc--but I really hate the idea of shopping around with babe in arms until we find someone we like.

Can you get reccomendations from other mommas with children? I have not gone to a LLL meeting yet, but will go to one before my EDD (as long as the baby's not early) and figure that I will ask around there for recs.
#6 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies! A few months ago I tried posting in my tribe area for recommendations, and got one that led me to this office - but that specific doctor isn't taking new patients.

Anyway, I'll see if I can find a doctor who has time for pre-meetings. I'd rather not waste the first appointment figuring out that I disagree with the doctor on many things, and then be tempted to skip appointments.
#7 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 01:11 PM

I agree that this is probably a regional thing. maybe it's not common practice in your area. You could try asking in the Finding Your Tribe forum if any other families there have experience with that particular Dr.'s office (or others on your list). GL!
#8 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 03:59 PM

from what I undersatnd, in my area, it is pretty customary to do a meet and greet a couple months B4 EDD..

. I already have a ped from Evan , and I like her, so it was easy for us. buuuut she commented that they *may* not take baby due to the non vax issue (even tho they see Evan.. evidently he is "grandfathered..) She did sign the paper I needed for the birth center, though, so I'm not too worried.. it will work itself out.. we don't really go, no well visits and no vax and only rarely rarely go for being sick so it is a non issue for us...

good luck finding a good ped, it is hard, esp if non/ delayed vax is an issue
#9 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 04:25 PM

Our ped met with us for free. I would say that if they can't provide that initial service, it says a lot about how they do business. They might not be very accomodating in other areas. I'd look at someone else.
#10 of 13 Old 10-04-2007, 04:45 PM

Another thing to consider is a family practice doctor as opposed to a pediatrician. We just moved to the area, so we were starting from scratch and joined a family practice that seems to have similar philosophies as we do. DH and I both had appointments there and we were able to sort of feel them out about kids' issues during our own medical appointments.

Maybe that's an option? If your partner is due for a physical and your doctor sees infants, insurance will pay for the appointment and you can squeeze in a few questions related to the baby?

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#11 of 13 Old 10-08-2007, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter

Ah, nice point! I hadn't thought about squeezing questions in during an adult appointment.
#12 of 13 Old 10-09-2007, 10:08 AM

I had a form I had to fill out to prove to my midwives I had picked a ped. The doctor came out to the waiting room on her own to meet us and explain required procedures and what is up to us. She rocked! The only thing required is the PKU and vitamin K which were the two things I was going to do anyway. She brought up vaxes on her own and said it was all up to us. I could have hugged her.

Aimee
x2 11-07 and 12-09
#13 of 13 Old 10-09-2007, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AimeeandBrian View Post
I had a form I had to fill out to prove to my midwives I had picked a ped. The doctor came out to the waiting room on her own to meet us and explain required procedures and what is up to us. She rocked! The only thing required is the PKU and vitamin K which were the two things I was going to do anyway. She brought up vaxes on her own and said it was all up to us. I could have hugged her.
You might want to post that over in the VA tribe since I know someone was asking about peds in NOVA not too long ago.

Anna

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page