If my water broke right now (34.5 weeks)... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 01:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I won't get a homebirth until 36 weeks so I would have to go to the hospital. I went to the bathroom and had odd pains and the baby is acting a bit different. It just makes me realize I COULD go any day.

IF my water broke, would I have to go straight to the hospital, or could I labor at home for a while and then go in (if baby is moving and no signs of prolapsed cord, I guess). Or should I go right straight in because it's pretty early, so something could be wrong? Same with labor without broken water, I guess. Wondering if I should go straight in.

And do I call my MW to let her know as I head in, or just let her sleep?

Just trying to wrap my head around it and can't seem to tonight.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#2 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 01:28 AM

My water broke a week before birthing day. My midwives explained that your body just keeps making amniotic fluid, so as long as there were no signs of infection, I could just wait for labor to start naturally. I had to take my temperature several times/day, and every other day, go in for a finger-stick and white blood cell count. As long as temp stayed normal and WBC count normal, no action was necessary. (I was also GBS neg., so no antibiotics recommended.) Another woman at my birth center had ruptured her bag of waters 3 weeks previously, and she was still waiting for labor to begin! Don't know what your MW's policies are, but maybe worth discussion options other than go to the hospital...

Rebekah
#3 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 01:34 AM

I have been thinking the same things. I did not go and spend almost 3grand to have a home birth and then not get it. I am sick, I have a fever, and dang it I will not go before October 25th! I like the advice about and I will be asking about it next appointment. I asumed if water broke now I would have to go right in and beg them to help me not go into labor.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#4 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 09:33 AM

If my water ruptured and I was fairly close to my EDD I'd stay in close touch with my MW and follow her directions for keeping tabs on myself, staying close to home, etc. I'd probably try to go as long as possible without laboring. If I could safely pull it out to a timeframe where a homebirth would be a possibility then that would be super, but if not then I guess I'd be hospital bound. By the time you hit a certain point (I think it's 34-35 weeks), the risks are greater to stop the labor than to just let it progress.

It would also depend on if we're looking at a high leak or a low gush... Less of a chance of cord issues with the high leak.

If we actually made it to the homebirth timeframe then I'd start agressive "natural" induction techniques (with permission) asap...but that's just me.

My water doesn't break until the absolute very end of labor (i.e. pushing), though, so don't listen to me.

ETA: That really was a bunch of rambling. For all I know, protocol might require her to transfer my care immediately if my water breaks before she could assist me at home. She might not be able to keep me as a client if the water breaks early, even if I'm not laboring. I'll have to ask...
#5 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter

I'll have to ask too.

I should have also specified that when my water breaks, active labor begins. It's happened during two inductions where Pitocin contractions were sporadic, but when water broke I was in labor. And my third son there was no sign of labor until suddenly my water broke and I went into labor almost immediately.

So I assume there will be no waiting for cx's to begin. If my water breaks, I will be in labor immediately, most likely.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 02:37 PM

My MW's "when to call " sheet asks us to call immediately if there are signs of labor prior to 36 weeks. While 34+ weeks isn't horribly early it's still not full term and having worked NICU as a social worker I know it's early enough that you want to proceed carefully and intentionally. you can probably be better part of the process and have the labor and delivery you want if you communicate well from the very beginning with your MW and other care providers.

good luck and keep us posted!
#7 of 7 Old 10-16-2007, 03:09 PM

I feel very passionately about this, based on my experience with DD. My water broke very suddenly at 35 weeks and I immediately freaked out and went to the hospital. I was terrified that the baby was too early and I forgot to stop and breathe. The other problem was that there was a huge snowstorm that night and I didn't want to get stuck at home or on the freeway. You probably won't have to deal with that! But I really, really wish I had taken a few moments to gather my thoughts, take a shower, breathe, take a picture of my fully pregnant self, etc. before dashing out the door in tears.

I spent 12 hours in labor, and I wish about 8 of them had been at home in my bed, where I could have rested instead of being freaked out in the hospital. (But again, the storm made that impossible.)

Anyway, I always say wait until you need to leave, and enjoy whatever time at home you have. Emotionally you will be much better off if you leave calmly rather than in a big chaotic rush. But I would definitely call the MW and let her know what is going on.

(This is more for others, not for you, Gina, since you have BTDT several times and know how your labors usually go.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page