Mothering Forum banner

Freaking out over big sister gift

589 views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  Momma Aimee 
#1 ·
Help! I just have no idea what to get DD for her big sister gift, and we're kinda getting down to the wire, ya know???

She already has a lot of baby-care stuff (highchair, swing, sling, clothes, etc. for her baby dolls), my mom got her a big sister t-shirt already, and she has several big sister books that we bought her earlier in the pregnancy.

She is 3 1/2 (4 at the end of Dec). Any brilliant ideas????? I thought of getting her a special little photo album to put pictures on of her with the baby, but I also think I need to get her something special to play with right away. Help!

#2 ·
a photo frame -- maybe that can be engraved later -- for the very special photo of the first time she holds her new baby?

there is a journal for big brothers and sisters -- like a baby book -- for all their first with the baby.

??????

#3 ·
Does she know she needs a big sister gift?
She might not notice if she doesn't get one, unless you are giving baby a gift from her also.

We've got a big box of random do-dads (little toys, books, funky socks, etc.) that we wrapped up for Dylan, so he doesn't feel left out when presents are being distributed. And we got him a big brother shirt to give him at the hospital when he comes to see us.

What about giving her a little photo album of pictures of her when she was a baby, if she doesn't already have one? We have been talking with Dylan a lot about what things were like when he was a baby. It sounds like she has all the doll mama/big sister "supplies" that she needs... maybe something that celebrates your relationship with her as the first baby?

#4 ·
Hum..... it sounds like your older child has a lot already honestly.... Not meaning it to sound like a judgement. Each of my kids are also getting a sibling gift, my oldest a doll sling and my son his first baby doll. These are items I hope they can always keep and pass down, unlike so many plastic toys. It does not sound to me like she "needs" more to play with.

I like your idea of a photo album. Maybe give her the album with a few pictures of her in it already and then a stack of family photos to put in it herself ans stickers to make it all pretty? You can tack pictures of her working on it and of her and new baby and slip them in there when you have the time and energy.

#5 ·
I think a big sibling gift is important. It doesn't have to be anything big or extravagant. Just something special to the child. Does she like anything in particular, a favorite kind of game or doll? My ds was really into cars, and adored matchbox cars at the time. The baby got him a powder blue, convertible matchbox car. He was ever so thrilled. That was more than 2 years ago...and shamefully, he has about 50 matchbox cars now, but he can still tell you which one came from the baby and it is still special to him.

How about a wooden memory game to play together one-handed while you are nursing the new babe?
Selecta memo games

Or a dollhouse nursery set w/baby and big sister?

#6 ·
Pixie's obviously older, but here is what we are doing for her:

She picked out a big sister shirt from Cafe Press months ago and though she doesn't know I ordered it, I'm sure she hasn't forgotten that she'll be receiving it.

Also, since I didn't do birth beads with her and she's a bit envious that my necklace (which I finally strung last night!!) will get passed down to the baby, and has such special meaning, I'm going to do a necklace for her as well. She asked if she could buy some beads and make one, but I want it to be more special, so I secretly emailed our friends and family and asked them to do basically what we did here on the bead swap- to send one bead (per person if they wanted, not per family,) and to include a reason why the chose the bead for her and what meaning it has, and a quote.

Otherwise, DH suggested a new doll that we could give her when the baby is born or a doll sling, etc. Something that can let her pretend to be a Mommy too.

Manda

#8 ·
My DD is almost two, so she probably requires less since she doesn't understand to the extent your DC does, but I just bought her a simple $15 toy that she will love. She is very excited to see the schoolbus pick up the neighborhood kids every day, so I bought her the Little People schoolbus. I know, I know--plastic, made in China, etc....
I keep those things to a minimum, so I don't feel TOO bad about buying them once in a while. Anyway, I'm going to take it to the hospital with me so that she will have something to play with when the novelty of the baby wears off.

Also, someone told me the other day that when you introduce the baby to the older child, don't be holding the baby. She said to have the baby in a bassinet or something when you see the older child for the first time after the birth and have open arms to hug them and tell them how much you missed them. Then introduce older child to baby. I guess this probably applies best to a hospital situation, where you may have been separated from the older child for a significant amount of time and you don't want them to walk in to see you and they find you with another baby. Anyway, thought I'd pass that along bc it sounded like good advice.

#9 ·
Quote:
Otherwise, DH suggested a new doll that we could give her when the baby is born or a doll sling, etc. Something that can let her pretend to be a Mommy too.
theo got his first doll and a sling this past motnh from my sister

i think SOMETHING is importnat, and maybe not a toy or shirt at all (or in addition to) as much as somehting they can KEEP -- i am big in to keepsakes, as you all know -- something for the shelf that then as an adult they can have knowing WHEN and WHY they got it.

NO I am not sure what the baby is givng Theo -- but soemthing. Maybe somethign engraved ..... I am more intrested in something for the shelf as we call it than for the hands.

Aimee

#11 ·
I am not in your due date club (although I am due Oct 31st so I have kind of been posting in both Nov and October) lol...

But DD will be 3 1/2 when this baby is born -- she is expecting a baby brother...so we got her an anatomically correct doll -- along with a sling, diaper bag, diapers and wipes...

Do you know if you are having a boy or a girl? What other kinds of things is she into? We also got a small stockpile of extra presents for after the baby is here -- they are wrapped and put away (paints, books, games etc). -- for those days when she is needing to feel "special" and needing something to entertain herself...

Good Luck!

Rachel

#13 ·
maybe ask her if there's anything she's like the baby to get her?

I told ds that his brothers' wanted to get him a present and what would he like them to get. He told me 'firetruck', so that's what we got him. I ordered a really nice wooden one online (not Made China!) and it arrived in a plain cardboard box, so he never saw it when it came. Now, it's all wrapped, hiding in our closet.

#15 ·
I'm hoping to finish the quilts I've been working on for the girls. Also, I have a leather coat I'm not using that I want to turn into soft soled shoes.

When my older daughter was two, we gave her a book when her little sister arrived. I also knit her a hat w/ a matching hat for her favorite doll. She loved both.

#16 ·
i was thinking in the oppisite direction from most of you- that her gift should be non-baby related. i thought that she might feel really overwhelmed with "baby" so, I got her a wooden stamp set. i was thinking that it is something we can do together as our special time or that she can do close by while i am nursing. i imagine that it will keep her busy during the long winter months- which i am really worried about.
i don't know if it is neccesary either, but in a book we have, the baby gives the older sister a top and she really likes that so i decided to go with it.

seems like great advice to give a hug to the older sibling and then bring the baby onto the lap too- i think i will try this.

#17 ·
We totally forgot about this this time around. We didn't do anything huge last time, but just a little something. So today while we were out I got a few coloring and activity books for the little guys. The youngest LOVES coloring, and my 3 year old has been begging for more preschool books, so they'll be thrilled. Dh choose a woopie cushion for ds1 (yeah, great lol), which he'll love, he's been wanting one forever. So they'll be little, but at least thought of.

So glad I saw this thread this morning though!

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by welldone View Post
I'm hoping to finish the quilts I've been working on for the girls. Also, I have a leather coat I'm not using that I want to turn into soft soled shoes.

When my older daughter was two, we gave her a book when her little sister arrived. I also knit her a hat w/ a matching hat for her favorite doll. She loved both.
Ok I hope I did not sounds judgemental in my other post here I did not mean it that way, really. I am just trying to hard to change consumerist mentality in my own home and stive for lasting items with meaning. I must say, something mommy made when pregnant sounds wonderful to me! My daughter would love another blanket but I do not think I will have time, I need to finish the one I am working on for DS and get to the new baby one already!

#20 ·
Kontessa, I totally understand your point. We really are a horribly consumerist culture, and its important to keep ourselves in check with the material stuff. I think I'm really hung up on getting her something really memorable and special for becoming a big sister both because I think that becoming a big sibling is a really important rite of passage and also because I can still remember the special little things my parents gave me to when my siblings were born. Its sort of a family tradition/childhood memory thing for me I guess.

I think that's why I'm putting so much pressure on myself to come up with something "perfect." I wish I was crafty, because I LOVE the idea of making something for her, but I am seriously so helpless with all that stuff! I have tried and tried--my mom is really crafty--but I've just never been able to put together anything worthwhile. Its just not one of my talents!!!

#21 ·
I must totally be a mean mommy because I have never gotton my older kids a gift when the baby was born (and this is #4). They however have made birthday cakes for the baby and I get a gift from DH every time. Perhaps I need to rethink things a bit...

#22 ·
My mil got a rainbow silk blanket for the baby...so I decided to get the same one for each of the girls, along with kid-sized, lavender pillows. They are wrapped and in our "birthing room," but I haven't decided when I will give them to the girls. Either after the birth or when people start bringing gifts for the baby...

#23 ·
Quote:
I'm really hung up on getting her something really memorable and special for becoming a big sister both because I think that becoming a big sibling is a really important rite of passage and also because I can still remember the special little things my parents gave me to when my siblings were born.
TOTALLY

it is a big milestone in thier young lives, and deserved to be "marked" liek anythign else

I was heart broken NOT to get a specail gift from DH with i had theo -- i got him soemthing

Aimee

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.