List of Natural Induction Methods - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
A friend of mine posts this on another board anytime anyone asks for natural induction ideas (to avoid Pit or for whatever reason). Nothing that probably hasn't been mentioned in other threads, but it's pretty comprehensive, so I thought I'd share it here!

(And I do have her permission to re-post)

These are all the natural induction methods that I know. Of course, nothing will send you into labor if you and the baby aren’t ready.

*WARNING: Some of this info may be a little graphic.*

Sex. Once a day. Afterwards, don’t get up right away and elevate your hips like when you were TTC. This helps the cervix absorb the prostaglandin in the semen.

Oral sex. Either way. You can ingest the prostaglandin orally and/or DH can stimulate your clitoris.

Physical activity. Walking, scrubbing the kitchen floor, etc.

Bumpy car ride. Sit and relax while the car jostles you and the baby about.

Nipple stimulation. Sometimes just letting the water from your shower beat on your chest will do the trick, particularly if you are still bfing.
PUMP METHOD -- Apply warm compresses to your chest. Uncover one breast and begin pumping for 15 min. Then reapply and warm compress and begin pumping the other side. Continue alternating compresses and pumping until you have strong, regular contractions, then stop. If contractions weaken or slow down, resume pumping for 5 min. per side until strength and regularity resumes.
HAND METHOD -- Drape a thin, warm, wet towel over your breasts. Roll one nipple through the towel until you have a contraction or 15 min. has passed. When the contraction begins, stop the stimulation. After it ends, wait 5 min. and stimulate the other nipple. Continue for an hour. Then take a break for 3-4 hours and begin again.
(If neither of these methods work, recruit DH to help stimulate both breasts at the same time.)

Thumb sucking. There’s a pressure point on the roof of your mouth. You can also use lollipops since they’ll probably taste better!

Accupressure. Apply pressure to the spot 4 finger widths above the ankle bone on the shinbone. Do this 3 times for 10-15 seconds each time. Repeat every few minutes, resting in between.

Herbal remedies:
BLUE AND BLACK COHOSH. (Use only under the supervision of a professional caregiver! Do not use if you are anemic, have a history of postpartum bleeding, high blood pressure or excessive blood loss during birth!) Take 3-4 drops under the tongue every 4 hours. OR 5-10 drops in a glass of water every 30 minutes for up to 4 hours. OR 15-25 drops under the tongue every hour for 6 hours.

CUMIN SEED TEA. Add 1 Tablespoon cumin seed to one cup of boiling water. Steep for 5 min. and drink. Only one cup per day.

GOLDENSEAL TINCTURE & MATRIGIN. Alternate 1/2 dropperful under the tongue every 5 min. for an hour.

BORAGE AND FLAX SEED OIL, BLACK CURRANT OIL. Take 3-6 capsules orally everyday and/or insert into the vagina at bedtime. Remain lying down to keep them in.

EVENING PRIMROSE OIL. Take orally 3 times a day and insert 2 into the vagina at bedtime. Again, remain lying down to keep them in.

WARNING: These 3 methods will probably cause diarrhea which can lead to dehydration.

Enema. You can add blue and black cohoshes to start contractions.

Spicy food, salad w/ balsamic vinegar dressing. (May cause heartburn.)

Castor oil cocktails. Take one dose, then take a hot shower. Follow with a second dose two hours after the first and another hot shower. Start with a dose of 1 1/2 oz. and gradually increase to 4 oz. if needed.
Ideas for castor oil "mixers":
-- Castor oil scrambled in 3 or more eggs.
-- Shot of castor oil followed by a shot of vodka.
-- Shot of castor oil followed by hot apple juice.
-- Castor oil blended with vanilla ice cream and orange juice.
-- 2 oz. of castor oil in 3-4 oz. of root beer.
-- 2 oz. of castor oil in a chocolate SlimFast shake.
-- 3 teaspoons (1/2 oz.) of castor oil with one teaspoon of baking soda in a large glass of orange juice.

I have ABSOLUTELY no medically training. These are all just things I’ve read about, heard or learned from others. Please do not try anything without first consulting your professional caregiver!

What worked for me -- The Midwives Salad
1/3 watercress
1/3 romaine lettuce
1/3 red cabbage
gorganzola cheese
balsamic oil vinegarette

I ate this w/ a wonderful steak and super hot and spicy red beans and rice at 8:30pm. I took a nice bath and went to bed and 10:30pm. Then woke up at 1am cause my water broke!

Best wishes for a happy, easy labor and birthing!

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
#2 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 01:29 PM

Thanks for this, Leigh.

Catholic Homeschooling mama to DS (6), DD (4), twin DDs (2), DD (7 months), and someone new 7/31/10!
#3 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 03:04 PM

What a great idea to post this!

Can I add eating a fresh pineapple? Something about the enzymes....

And isn't there another labor pressure point in the web between your thumb and first finger?
#4 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM

Great list...can it be made a sticky since we're still at the beginning of welcoming our little ones?

Valerie, wife to Kevin, mother to Elena (4), Jonathan (2), and twins, Andrew and Benjamin (2/2010)
#5 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 03:40 PM

That salad sounds so good right now! LOL...

I heard that you have to eat some ridiculous amount like three pineapples for it to be effective. Is that true?
#6 of 15 Old 10-24-2007, 05:13 PM

there's an eggplant parm recipe that I have heard of that some mama's swear by...let me see if I can find it!

Here it is!
#7 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 12:45 PM

Ways to naturally induce labor:

*Walking!!! Briskly- try for 2 miles at a pace of 15 min/mile each day. More if you can. Swimming is good, as well as walking up and down stairs.

*Acupuncture- sometimes takes more than one appt.

*Acupressure- massage the place where your thumb and first finger meet in the webbing on your hand (the same spot you massage for a migraine headache) Rub in hard circles massaging that tissue that you feel right before you feel where those bones connect. Also, the inside corner of your pinkie toenail is supposed to be linked with labor- you can massage or put something warm (heating pad, etc.) on that spot. There is another pressure point on your calf- go up about 4 finger-widths from your inner ankle and massage.
If you can, get a deep-tissue massage from someone qualified to give prenatal massage- they know lots of the pressure points and can help get labor started.

*Sex (only before water has broken)- the semen helps ripen the cervix and the female orgasm can open the cervix up to 2 cm!! If you can't have sex, try inserting your husband's sperm with clean fingers as close to your cervix as possible. Orgasms are supposed to help, as is swallowing semen.

*Nipple stimulation (roll for 2 minutes and rest for 3, etc. Do for 20 minutes at a time. Breast pumps are supposed to be helpful too.

*Homeopathy: try Red Raspberry Leaf tea which is supposed to tone the uterus, pineapple- the enzymes help ripen your cervix, tea with parsley or cumin. (Black and blue cohosh are sometimes used by midwives, but if you aren't under someone's care while trying this, I would not- they can raise your bloodpressure and be dangerous to you and the baby.)

*3 tsp castor oil- use this to stimulate your bowel which helps stimulate your contractions. Beware that it will probably put you in the bathroom quite a bit! I would do this in the morning so you aren't up all night. You can use an enema as well, but I would do this as a last resort! Some people say that laxatives can cause the baby to pass meconium, so use this at your discretion. I have heard that the first dose stimulates bowels and the second stimulates labor.

*A bumpy car ride- an old wives tail that says if the baby is not in the right position, this might bounce it into the right one! (Back and forth over railroad tracks or down a rutted dirt rd??)

*One glass of wine with dinner- helps you to relax and may allow you to be more positive and visualize yourself starting labor. A warm bath is good for this too. Be sure to drink lots and lots of water though, because you don't want to dehydrate yourself or the baby with the alcohol, which could lead to other problems!

*Rest! Tylenol PM is safe in pregnancy. Let yourself get a full night's sleep and relieve some stress... relaxation might help your body go into labor on it's own. Anxiety has been proven to DELAY your labor even more!

*Have your OB or midwife "strip/sweep your membranes"- I had this done and it's a bit painful and you feel crampy and sore afterward (somewhat like a rough pap-smear) but I lost my mucous plug later that night and was in labor 2 days later!

*Foods- spicy foods that might put you in the bathroom, as well as pasta dishes or ones that contain basil and oregano. Eggplant parmesan made with fresh herbs is supposed to work wonders. Macaroni and cheese with A1 sauce is supposed to be another one.
*Acupuncture is supposed to be good and there is the chinese practice of burning incense on the 5th toe also.

*Breathing sage, peppermint, and other select herbs are supposed to bring on labor. Might want to google this.

*Shower is supposed to stimulate labor and bath is supposed to slow it down. Someone mentioned that getting into the bath for labor should be done only if you are about 5 cm so as not to stall your labor.

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#8 of 15 Old 10-29-2007, 05:16 PM

I just read that fresh parsley induces labor in bunnies.

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#9 of 15 Old 11-13-2007, 10:27 PM

Okay ladies, talk to me about natural labor induction methods that worked for you.

My mw wants me to start "trying" on Friday when I hit 37 weeks because of the low amniotic fluid and other factors. I agree with her, so I don't want to dispute it here, but am wondering what actually worked for some of you.

I'm going to start with DTD, nipple stimulation, and evening primrose oil.

Did the primrose oil work for anyone? What else actually worked for you?

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#10 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 PM

EPO worked well to get my cervix ripe. Castor oil did NOT work for me. Most of those methods (if not all) won't do anything if your body is not ready to give birth.

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#11 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM

Can you take the EPO orally, or must it be vaginally?

Mama to one darling and wild 3 year old, and growing a tiny new June Bean.
#12 of 15 Old 11-14-2007, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarefootPregnant View Post
Can you take the EPO orally, or must it be vaginally?
Either or both.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#13 of 15 Old 11-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aylaanne View Post
Most of those methods (if not all) won't do anything if your body is not ready to give birth.

My thoughts exactly. Hey, if baby wants to stay in its fine with me, but yeah, done here.....

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

#14 of 15 Old 11-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
ahhh and lets not forget ORGASM... don't need anyone else for that... and lets not forget our capabilities for MULTIPLES... :

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#15 of 15 Old 11-24-2007, 01:27 PM

I'm still doing the evening primrose oil and now am doing the raspberry leaf tea. Tomorrow I'm going for acupuncture for the first time! Lets hope something takes before the darn stressful sono on Monday!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page