Mothering Forum banner

to be checked or not to be checked?

578 views 20 replies 19 participants last post by  melissakc 
#1 ·
we are having dinner with MW tonight, and our appt. i'm 38w2d, and she said she would check me if i wanted to be checked. i can't decide!
: she hasn't done any internals so far, but i feel like my cervix is ripening the last 2 weeks, and had a couple hours of "annoying" cx the other night, but nothing since. i know that it doesn't matter one way or the other if i am dialated or not. but i can hope that if i do get checked, the poking around could start something
. what would you do?

See less See more
#4 ·
I also wouldn't bother, but that's just because my personal experience has me going to 42 weeks with nothing happening and I certainly wouldn't want to start checking any earlier than 40 weeks and hearing the same thing week after week.

Plus I think if your body is ready, it will go into labour, regardless of what you know about your status.

#5 ·
Well, here is my thought.

1) We all know dialation means nothing. (I was 0cm and 0% at 42 weeks and delivered my daughter 12 hours later, and this time I have been dialted 2.5cm awhile and notta)

2) Taking into account that it means nothing, rational thinking tends to go out the window here and curiousity gets the best of us.

Personally, I think if you are comfortable being checked (as far as knowing your HCP won't strip your membranes without consent like we keep hearing about....or the risk of your water breaking...and all those odds and ends) and if you can accept that it may be closed still and not get discouraged, then what the hell.

For me, I get curious, but know it is really irrelevant.

I am 38 weeks as well, and think I will get checked at my appt today.

#6 ·
I'm having the same debate with myself. I've been checked 2x, declined 1x. I should decline this time to keep it to every-other-week, but I'm due in 4 days. Part of me even wants the membranes stripped to get things going and have a Halloween baby
:. The other part of me is totally chill, wants to wait til DH isn't sick and the baby is ready. I haven't really had contrax or anything for a week now, so there's no reason to believe my cervix has made any progress. Bah!

Does anyone remember Ina May's sphincter law? Do you think the pain and invasion of cervical checks can actually make it close up? Just something I've been thinking about. I tried reaching my cervix myself and it seems very high and posterior (I can't reach it so I'm guessing). Does it come down and forward before labor?

#7 ·
Yeah, what Jojo said! I was a fingertip and slightly effaced at 34 weeks and I usually know when things "feel really different" so I know that this week's appointment will not be a checker. Unless I actually feel some progress happening I'll probably hold off until 38 and then be really neurotic about it

Effacement and dilation are good to know (obviously) but anyone who is getting checked might also ask if their cervix is posterior or anterior. It points posterior most of the pregnancy, but your baby can't come out at that angle. During labor, or in pre-labor, etc, your cervix moves from a posterior position to one where it aligns itself better with your pelvis. This in itself can take precious laboring time, so it's nice to know where the cervix is, and not just how soft and open. You could be very little progressed in effacement and dilation, but if your cervix is coming forward-- progress!!

#8 ·
They've checked me at my past two appts because of all the prodominal labor I'd been having. But I plan on asking her NOT to check on Friday because I know it doesn't mean anything however if I haven't changed I'm not sure I can really hear that said out loud right now.. Does that make sense? So I think it all depends on where you are with your feelings...

#9 ·
I wouldn't, but that's just because it would get my hopes up if I were dilated and then I'd obsess even more over every little sign.

If I'm going to be one of those women who walks around for weeks at 3 cm, I don't want to know!

#10 ·
Well said Jojo!!

I was checked a few weeks ago bc I had a night where I swore it was it...but not since then, and dont intend to until im ready to push.

(and I must add that I am totally impressed with your mileage so far!! I can barely walk to the car with out getting a killer bh!)

#12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by monocyte View Post
Well said Jojo!!

(and I must add that I am totally impressed with your mileage so far!! I can barely walk to the car with out getting a killer bh!)
THanks...lol....I can hardly walk at this point, but just keep thinking she will fall out if I keep moving...

#13 ·
I have my dr. appt today (my edd!) and I'm not getting checked (I didn't last week either). I don't want to for a few reasons:

1: If it looks like not much is happening I'll get discouraged (even though I know it doesn't mean anything).
2. If it looks like something *might be happening* I'll get too excited and then not be able to relax and rest. Then if nothing happens soon, I'll get discouraged.
3. I tested GBS+ and I want to avoid all non necessary internal exams.
4. I do not want my dr. sweeping the membrane, which I could totally see her doing without my permission.
5. After an internal exam, I get extremely uncomfortable for the rest of the day and I have things I need to do!

#15 ·
i think i've decided to get checked...maybe....
:

i know the results mean nothing, but i'm curious about whether or not i'm "reading" my body correctly. does that make sense? i feel like there has been a change in my cervix, and i just want to know if there really is.

#16 ·
IMO, no. But then again, I'm biased. Just the act of someone touching you can cause your cervix to change/close. I don't like the sensation, so have never been checked during labor AT ALL and haven't been checked at an appt or otherwise since my first "check" while pregnant with DS#1.

Nope, none for me thank you!

#17 ·
no checking for me.. with both my last two I was long, closed and tight as a drum as the docs sais w/in hrs of going into labor both times.. I ma assuming i ma the same now.. or not... I don't like to be messed with unless there is a really good reason or I ma trying to shake things up in there!

#18 ·
I wouldn't. Even if something is going on now, stress can make you go backwards. I tend to just ignore my cervix during my pregnancies. Besides if I want some pokin going on to get things started the same guy who put the baby in there is more than welcome to encourage her to come out.

#19 ·
I wouldn't, but that's because I don't want anyone all up in my lady business.

During labor, my midwife will probably check me once she arrives, and once before pushing, to make sure I'm fully dilated. I really don't like internals, so for me, anything beyond that wouldn't be helpful.

#20 ·
I swore I wouldn't get checked when PG with DD...but curiosity got the best of me and I went ahead anyway. Didn't mean anything.

This time my OB doesn't do them routinely so I actually have to *ask* which will likely make it easier not to get them.

We all know they don't mean anything but it sure is interesting to find things out and talk about them!

#21 ·
I've been having contractions for a freaking week and I swear sometimes it feels as if the baby is going to fall right out. Then of course the contractions stop and I get so confused and frustrated. I was getting really nervous last night that the baby was going to be born at home and unattended unintentionally, so I got checked today. I'm only 1-2 cm, so that eased my mind a bit. I really thought she was going to say that she felt a head and ask me if I had my bag in the car! But it also annoyed me that all this work doesn't seem to be doing anything.... But I'd rather be annoyed than scared like I was last night. So yeah, I agree the decision needs to be about how you will feel about it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.