I am a watched pot. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 01:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have entered the weird world of "post-term" pregnancy. If I crawled into a cave to wait it out, I would do just fine. Just as I had made peace with another 42-week pregnancy, the world is conspiring to make me feel anxious about having the baby SOON.

My MIL has arrived, and keeps asking me if I "feel anything" (growing irritability?)

I'm still working (mostly for distraction) and have to run the gauntlet every morning and listen to everyone's funny remarks on how I'm still pregnant.

People I barely know are asking me about my cervix (???)

ARRRGGG!!!! Anyone else post-term? Any tips on dealing with this? Any suggestions on where there are some good caves I can hide out in?

By the way, I don't feel like I'm going to go into labor anytime soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 02:13 PM

You just tell your MIL and the cervix people that unless they wanna get their hands dirty and check you themselves, they should leave you alone. The baby is still baking to perfection!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#3 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM

Aw mama. I'm due in 4 days but with the way people have been treating me and the questions you'd think I was due a month ago. I threatened to throw something at my boss this morning for making fun of my waddling (she was doing it lovingly at least) and apparently I shot two co-workers a nasty look when I walked in and they go "aw no baby" hadn't even realized I'd done it but I did.

I am sorry, tell them to shut up and mind their own business...

Proud mama to DD#1 (11) DS (4) and DD#2 ( 2 )
#4 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Tee-Hee.. In some of my finer moments I've thought of asking "ya know, I can't really reach down there, why don't you check?"
#5 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 03:10 PM

with DS i was a little under 4w "overdue" with him. i think i pretty much DID crawl into a cave i stopped answering the phone, and didn't really go out too much. i just didn't want to deal with the people anymore....including family that would keep calling!! i'm trying hard to come to
peace with the fact that i may go over with this one too.

so many many to you! i also like the "why don't you get down there and check yourself" comment!!
#6 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 03:17 PM

To the 'check yourself' coment, I would also offer to get on their desk or the conference table or whatever is nearby.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#7 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmountainmomma View Post
Tee-Hee.. In some of my finer moments I've thought of asking "ya know, I can't really reach down there, why don't you check?"

Big hugs - all four of mine were late. Each time I hope for an early birth, but to no avail. Keep your sense of humor

Amber - married mama of 5. Cloth diaperer, babywearer, homeschooler.
#8 of 15 Old 11-05-2007, 04:39 PM

I know how you feel! I'm 3 days past due now and everytime I call anyone I have to start the conversation off, "no, I haven't had the baby and I'm not in labor."

Nicole, mama to a seven year old wonder and a three year old joy and caretaker to 3 kitties and 9 hens. 

#9 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 05:24 PM

I know how you feel too! I'm also 3 days "overdue" (whatever that means). My persistant single friend who calls every day to ask if the baby has come is going to get a taste of her own medicine if she doesn't stop. Meaning: I'm going to start asking her if she's engaged yet whenever she calls!

Hang in there....and let me know where that cave is.

Mama to DD (2007) and DS (2011) and expecting a girl in August 2013!

#10 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 05:58 PM

I'm at the point of ignoring phone calls because I don't want to explain yet AGAIN that I haven't had the baby yet. But, it's getting to the point where I don't want to call anyone either. Esp DH or my mom because they automatically think I'm in labor and calling about that when I tell them I'm just calling about dinner tonight or doing something together the next day I can just hear the disappointment in their voice LOL

Suzanne~ wife to Jesse, Momma to 3

#11 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiedust View Post
But, it's getting to the point where I don't want to call anyone either. Esp DH or my mom because they automatically think I'm in labor and calling about that when I tell them I'm just calling about dinner tonight or doing something together the next day I can just hear the disappointment in their voice LOL
LOL - Every time I call anybody now I say "Not In Labor!" as soon as they say "Hello". You're right though, I hate calling them for that reason. They get so excited that it's me and then so disappointed that all I want is somebody to pick up bread at the store.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
#12 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 06:25 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
how annoying people are. just another way our society is socially abusive to us women...our bodies somehow become 'their property/their business' in their eyes...they don't even realize what they are doing, its so ingrained in us and to also not to trust birth....god i can't believe these people are asking about your cervix for petes sake. how dare they. : fyi, my MW just told me this morning that 2nd time mamas often aren't dilated til in labor...maybe joke and act like all of a sudden you are having one hell of a ctx and hold onto something...then laugh saying ooo false alarm then walk away. i'm glad i left tom cuz i bet his sister would be calling all the time asking what was up. i don't miss them one bit. thankfully i have this whole month to go and some of dec. which goes into the 42 wx mark.

hang in there.........we must think of some darn good comebacks...hmmmmmmmmmmmm. maybe say oh we realized the EDD isn't til ___________________ and then maybe they'll leave you alone. that way whatever happens, happens for YOU when it happens and you can report whatever you wish AFTER baby is born. jerks!!!!!!!!!!!! : its also like another way people don't trust the woman, the mother to do right...or that her body knows what to do. ::: and:

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#13 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonawich View Post
everytime I call anyone I have to start the conversation off, "no, I haven't had the baby and I'm not in labor."
Me too! It's annoying.

My mom called me today and when I told her nothing was happening she said "Nothing?!? But Madison was early...are you sure everything is ok with the baby? How can *nothing* be happening?"

:

I said "Every baby is different and a due date is just an estimate"

I really wanted to say 'Well we had a lot more sex with that pregnancy so maybe my cervix was more ripe from all the prostaglandins in Chad's semen" but decided that was too much info for her.

She has no idea because she had 4 kids all by c-section and never experienced labor. I'm sure she'll be asking me when the illusive "they" are going to induce me come Saturday.
#14 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 06:37 PM

My edd date was on the 1st, so I'm 41 weeks tomorrow. I've had people call that I rarely hear from, but so far it's not really getting to me. My dad called last night at 12:30am his time (so 8:30pm for me) and it freaked me out because I thought something must be wrong there, but no-just checking on baby status.

My only real complaint is that I have no energy, and my kids are getting so needy from me not being able to do much. So I guess I'm looking for a cave without the kids!
#15 of 15 Old 11-07-2007, 07:25 PM

I HATE all of the things you are describing. I went to 42 weeks with ds and went into hiding during the last week. I'm only 38 weeks now, and I feel like doing it already. Even the most innocuous statements can send me into a frenzy. I just don't feel like dealing with anyone's stupidity right now.

caffix.gif  Mom to DS (8/31/04) and DD (11/30/07), EDD 12/15/11!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page