Did anyone else have a C-section? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Or is it just me?

I had my baby two weeks ago, three weeks early. He was 10 lbs. Both of us are doing well. But I wondered if anyone else here had a C-section, I would love to compare notes on healing and activity levels, etc. I have a 2 year old at home and this is my first day home alone, hubby went back to work.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#2 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 02:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
10 pounds three weeks early. Wow!

I haven't had one in 12 years, but yes, I have had one. I know De-Lovely and Meisterfrau and at least one more have had c/s. Hopefully they can chime in to help!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#3 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 02:55 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
yes, megh was a ceserean...she was 9.7 and 22" long. it was all due to me being on my back about the whole labor and meds/interventions i'm sure of it. 26 hours of labor... recovery went well...the percocet was nice to relax and nursing was never a problem, thank god. i healed up quick. i think i moved around doin' stuff way too soon if i can remember. this baby will hopefully be a VBAC.

how are you feelin"? how's it goin'?

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#4 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

I'm doing well. I haven't had to take anything for pain since about day 10. It's over two weeks now. I'm getting around really well and nursing is going great. Has been since day 1. This was my second C-section.

Anyone else who's been there, I would love to share experiences. Nothing negative, just about how you got up and going and how soon, if you had another baby at home, or driving, things like that.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#5 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 08:00 PM

Congratulations on your new baby!
#6 of 20 Old 11-12-2007, 10:57 PM

c-section here. he was born on Friday 10 pounds 4 ounces 22 inches long.
they gave me vikodon but it is just sitting there, I am going without drugs since I am breastfeeding.

I am in more pain than I thought when getting up but we are dealing with it! I have a baby, the pain is nothing compared to the joy he brings me.
#7 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 10:24 AM

I had my fourth c-section on the 26th of Oct. It was by far my bets birth experience. No vomiting, no pain really.....I was up out of bed about 6 hours after surgery-took a shower about 10 hours after and after about 6 or 7 days I was fully mobile and sent my help home so I could have my house back. This is day 18 and I am annoyed because (TMI) I am still bleeding and having bowel issues but nothing too major. I went to Red Lobster straight out of the hospital! HEY! I was craving those Cheddar Bay biscuits and salad!

How are you doing today?
#8 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 10:49 AM

Had my 4th c-section here...unfortunately, it was my worst birth experience and I am still having issues dealing with it being the last birth I will remember forever. Thankfully, my boys came out of it healthy and are such a joy...so they are helping me recover a little bit more each and every day.
#9 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Doing okay today. I do feel really overwhelmed and am afraid of doing things to take care of my 26 pound toddler, who I am alone with now. I just changed his diaper for the first time, on the floor of course, and when I had to lift his legs to get the diaper under him, I realized I can't do this stuff yet. Not in any pain, just too much lifting. I could tell it was too much.

Hubby doesn't want to take any more time off of work, and my mom can't. So I'm stuck. I feel abandoned and I wish someone could come and help me with ds1. I feel awful that I can't change him, can't pick him up, can't take care of him, basically. How am I supposed to do this? They say you need help for 6 weeks. Who can afford that? My husband complained about taking TWO weeks off. Six?? There's no way. Especially with the holidays.

My doctor had originally said no lifting ds1 for TWO weeks. Now it's 4-5. Help! How am I going to do this?

#10 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter

I wanted to add for the mama who is not taking her pain meds... TAKE THEM!!! They will not hurt the baby, and you will be able to function so much better and you will produce more milk if you are not in pain.

You can do Advil or Tylenol if you want to avoid the Vicodin... but please take something if you are having pain.

#11 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 04:31 PM

Yes, I have had 2 now. A month and 2 days since my last one, I feel pretty much back to normal. I did feel a lot more pain this second time, and bled for SO LONG. I think I only bled for a week with the first one, and it was a full month this time. I hope. Every time I think I am done bleeding it comes back a couple of days later. :
#12 of 20 Old 11-13-2007, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

My OB said that was going to happen to me, as well with the bleeding. This time was a lot worse for me pain-wise than the first. I don't remember the first hurting much past day one. This time, I needed pain meds for ten days. I think because I can't rest as much because I have a toddler now.

#13 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom0810 View Post
I wanted to add for the mama who is not taking her pain meds... TAKE THEM!!! They will not hurt the baby, and you will be able to function so much better and you will produce more milk if you are not in pain.

You can do Advil or Tylenol if you want to avoid the Vicodin... but please take something if you are having pain.
Thank you but at day 5 now the pain is pretty much gone. I have always had a high tolerance and do not take anything that I do not feel is really in my best interest even if Elliot's dad thinks I am insane for doing it drug free. lol
#14 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 11:42 AM

I had my 3rd c/s on the 2nd. I'm feeling great, been off the pain killers (percocet) for a bit over a week now and besides being slightly tender around the incision, I'm pain free! WHEE!

I have a preschooler and a toddler here and Dh is back at work. So far things have gone great and my boys have been big helpers when I need them. Now if I can just get the baby to BF the normal way (I've been pumping because he refuses to latch on), life would be great.
#15 of 20 Old 11-15-2007, 02:44 PM - Thread Starter

Are you lifting the kiddos yet? If not, when do you think you will? What did your OB say about it?

Let me know how it's going.

#16 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 12:12 PM - Thread Starter

How is everyone doing?

I am still bleeding almost 5 weeks later. Annoying. I bled for 6 weeks the first time, then got my period 2 weeks later, which came every single month even though I exclusively breastfed. Annoying.

I am feeling really good. Having some cramping, but I am wondering if my period is coming, since my boobs were really sore a couple of days ago.

Still haven't tried to lift ds1 yet. He's 27 lbs. Still haven't driven a car. But I have my appt. on Monday and will ask the OB what I can and can't do at this point.

Anyone else?

#17 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 01:08 PM

I'm doing great. Healing is a bit slower this time around though compaired to my last one. I think anyway, my brain is such mush after 3 pregnancies.

I'm done bleeding FINALLY! Of course it would happen the day after I was forced to buy a new package of pads. Go figure. Haha.

I've picked up and carried around both my midgets (32lbs and 25 lbs), even though I probably shouldn't but then my thinking is as long as it doesn't hurt I'm good. I am limiting it though.

I'm even doing outtings by myself with the 3 kids. : We've been to the store a few times. It's not as hard as I thought it would be, having 3 kids compaired to 2 but then, ds#3 is just happy in the sling. Once he's more mobile I see things being a problem.

I hope everyone's healing is going good.
#18 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 05:16 PM

I had my second emergency c-section on 11/22. I'm not healign nearly as quickly as I did with my first, and I'm still having a good deal of pain and bleeding a week later. My activity level depends on how I'm feeling from minute to minute. I can go for a long while without pain meds (ibuprofen or vicodin) without real pain issues but then, especially in the evening if I've been up on my feet a lot, the pain kicks in and is crippling until I take something. I feel very guilty about taking the vicodin but the pain with this c-section has been so much worse than with my first. My midwife thought that i must have had a lot of scar tissue and adhesions from the first surgery that they had to break through with this one and thats why there has been more pain. I'm still bleeding quite a bit at one week out.

This baby is so incredibly quiet - I'm worried that its from the pain meds in my milk. She's far, far more mellow than my DS was.
#19 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 06:44 PM

I had a planned UC/HB but when her foot popped out instead of her head/hand...we were off to the hospital for an emergency c-section and our daugther was born Nov. 17. I've been up and at 'em since Nov. 18 LOL! I'm just stubborn that way I guess. IT's been two weeks now and I'm almost fully healed. I had no problems the first week cuz the hubby was at home with me but now I'm just out and about as usual. I'm still taking it easy when it comes to lifting and buttoning up my jeans but other than that I'm as good as it gets I guess. The pain killers really helped with that in the beginning.

I'm still bleeding but nothing major. I'm HATING the pads of course since I'm a cup girl but it's a small sacrifice I guess.
#20 of 20 Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 PM

I had one at 33 weeks, emergency. The recovery was brutal. How are you feeling now?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page