Should I cut my hair? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In an effort to simplify things for myself, I'm thinking about cutting my hair. Here's me on Mother's Day:

http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=IMGP0678.jpg

It was pretty freshly cut then, so it's a little shaggier now, but you get the idea. It's a blurry photo because it's hard to find one of me with my hair down. It's usually in the typical mom ponytail.

This is the bob I like:

http://img56.imageshack.us/img56/6397/rr72he.jpg

Am I insane? :

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#2 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 03:28 AM

I got this exact haircut just before discovering I was pregnant. I love it because it can be fantastically styled, but also looks great just-washed and with minimal product; very easy to take care of. Looks like it would suit your hair type and face shape well---I'd go for it!
#3 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:00 AM

I really like the bob! For me I don't think it would simplify things because I have really straight hair-I'd probably have to blow it out in the morning (but you look like you have more body in your hair than me). So if thats not a problem I say go for it-the cut is super cute!!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#4 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 AM

:

I love your hair now.....

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#5 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 07:25 AM

I actually have a very similar cut and I LOVE it. Mine is slightly longer so I can still put it up in a ponytail if I want to. I only have to do my hair every other day and it seriously looks really good for the two days. I probably could get away with a third day except I start getting a little oily at the roots. I get tons of compliments all the time. A warning, though: I blow dry sloppily and then use a flat iron. There is no way you will get a look like that without a flat iron no matter how well you blow dry. If you are willing to use a flat iron then I think it would be a really cute cut on you--very hip and flattering.

ADORABLE picture of you and your daughter, by the way!!!
#6 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM

Love the bob, but yeah, that look took a lot of styling and if you're already prone to pulling it up in a ponytail...
I chopped my long hair off after each baby and I'm really resisting the urge this time. Until I lose the baby weight, the shorter hair just makes me look rounder.

I like your long hair and I say just get a fresh layered cut!
#7 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 10:56 AM

If you can have a result you'd like with minimal fuss like veganjoy said, I'd go for it. Short cuts require so much effort--more washing, more styling, more blow drying, etc. My hair was bobbed when my first was born. I chopped my hair before my second, after my third, after my fourth...and chopped it so short I was still growing it out when my fifth was born, (and it was still short )

It's been growing out for four years now and is just past shoulder length. It's EASY! For me, it either has to be able to be pulled back, or so short that no part of my head has hair more than 1.5 inches long. This will be the first time I'm NOT going to cut. I've made dh swear to never let me do the chop again. It's easy for the short duration, and the growing out is awful. Fat curling irons and scrunchies are my best friends.

Good luck whatever you decide. I do think both styles are very flattering for you. What a pretty Mama you are!!
#8 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 11:01 AM

Everyone I know who's had a second baby has done this! I think it would be a bit easier - in terms of being able to wash and dry quicker and in terms of getting less baby spit in it (speaking from personal experience with a spitty baby).

I tried to do it about a week before DS was born but the hairstylist apparently did not understand 4 inches and cut off about 4 cm instead. I was too exhausted to do anything about it.

Oh, and my DD loved the pictures of Anna and kept asking for "more Anna" after I closed the photos. She's very cute.
#9 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 11:56 AM

Okay, being that I am a hairstylist, I will pretend you just sat in my chair with that picture.

It is surely a cute haircut...BUT! Do you realize to get it to look like that it will take product and styling time.

You will most likely end up looking older.At that length-unless you are going to take the time to style it properly-you will lose your youthful, sex appeal, and end up looking....well, mommish. Specially if you gained a few pounds. I would suggest waiting a little bit...just until you feel like yourself again and hormones and weight have returned to normal. And make sure you go to a good stylist to get that look. Not all stylists are capable of high fashion cuts. Make sure you are sure they are in that realm.

Okay, maybe because we are all in the same boat with our pregnancies-I was a little more up front. If you were in my chair-I would have sugar coated it a little more. I would just wait a little and make sure you want to do it. You hair is pretty long, and easy to get back and out of the way. When it's shorter you have to style it-otherwise you will be walking around with bed head.

At this point, I would take it up to collarbone length, and shape it with long, soft (not choppy) layers. Just to take away the boxiness. Then i would tell you if you still want to take it short, we will do it at your next appointment.
#10 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 12:26 PM

I love your hair now, but I understand!! I was just looking in the mirror myself this morning wondering how soon I can get out to have it cut...

(and I'm going to let a pro do it after the incident with DH and the buzz cut...
#11 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 12:49 PM

Well, I have a different take. I think now is the wrong time to make a big decision regarding most things, including your hair. I am also itching to get mine cut since it's long and a mess, but I'm holding off until after the baby when I'm thinking more clearly.

caffix.gif  Mom to DS (8/31/04) and DD (11/30/07), EDD 12/15/11!!!
#12 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 12:52 PM

i LOVE your hair, but i personally think that the haircut you linked to looks. . . wierd. over styled or something. almost like a combover lol!!!

anyway i love long hair and never thought i would cut it. . . .and then i had kids. i think short hair is very practical when you have babies/toddlers. if you are looking for a change i think you should chop it off!! if you hate it, it will grow back. but go for something that looks good straight out of the shower.

Mom to two perfect kids earth.gif  surrogate to two sweetpotatos heartbeat.gifheartbeat.gif born 4.21.11  

I love someone with ataxia telangiectasia http://www.atcp.org

#13 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 PM

I cute mine off with DD1. Mine is long now. I almost cut it again this time. I think yours looks awesome now, and I also LOVE the cut. I agree that the short cut will require regular maintenance and a flat iron. That being said, in my experience...but the time I "do" my long hair (wash, dry and make look even ponytail decent) I have spent 10 min. I could dry and quick flat iron my short hair in as much time and it look sharp and not ponytailed. That being said, if I didn't have 10 min, I liked the longer.

Not sure if that helped. Your pic is great...you and your DD look so happy.
#14 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 03:18 PM

You have beautiful hair. I almost cut mine off earlier and then dh reminded me how much I liked having it pulled back when the babes were little so it would stay out of my face, not get pulled on, etc. So I wouldn't altough I'm sure that bob would look adorable on you, you're so cute!

Mama to 3:
#15 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 03:53 PM

i wouldn't do it! i always want to cut my hair when i'm hormonal.
#16 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:08 PM

i wouldn't , i cut mine short with ds2 and it was a nightmare,,, whoever says short hair is easier has never had long hair !!.. maybe short-er but still able to wash and go and put up or pony tail is WAY easier than too short to put up.. also has to be recut every 5 wks or short is a mess.. you can get away with not cutting longer hair and you can always give your bangs a quickie at home... sorry nak
#17 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:12 PM

I wouldn't. You look like a gorgeous, healthy, natural, parenting magazine model in that picture. If you're wanting to project an artsy, funky vibe, the bob will work. But if you are more wholesome and all-natural and earth mother-y, your hair as is is perfect!

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

#18 of 19 Old 11-18-2007, 04:55 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
oh boy i don't know what to say.......you are beautiful! love your hair in that pic.........and i love that bob cut too if you know you can style it like that...love that windswept 'mussed' look....very cute. hmmm i'd say follow your heart and do what you feel led to do. maybe give a few days more thought to it before really doing it.

when megh was about 14 mos. or so i decided to give in and do bangs...i hadn't had bangs since a teenager. i was sooo nervous but ready. trusting that i'd be fine and it would look cute. i LOVED it. and the hairstylist i had put that curl activator in my hair and wow was i a cutie patootie. i am NOT a good stylist of my own hair so usually its thrown up in a pony tail. its just easier too...sigh......i should at least put that curl activator stuff in it or try to do the flat iron thing my mom's been doing to hers...wowza is she ever one HOT 60 yo woman when she does that. yeah...follow your heart and go for it.....hair can always be grown back. makes it easier when its shorter w/ little ones...that is for sure. i need my bangs trimmed and my hair trimmed too. i feel like blah. maybe i'll do that on tuesday. monday if aveda is open...: need brow wax too.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#19 of 19 Old 01-16-2008, 09:33 PM

OP, what did you decide to do?

Book-lovin', relaxed homeschoolin', dog snugglin' mom of the best kid EVER!  AND...waiting for baby #2, due 5/9/14!  stork-boy.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page