Bad news: Bigger diapers! Good news: More diapers! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 11-26-2007, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
He's already growing into smalls from xs or 1s from 0s....But the good news is, I got my size small FBs! I am so excited. One less step for middle of the night changings - no covers!

I need more, of course, I could only afford 8 of them at the moment I ordered. He's not totally out of the last size yet, but *sigh*

I ordered from www.emibeans.com - I really like Jennifer. Her 8 inch sherpa wipes ROCK and she ships FAST, e-mails fast, etc.

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 PM

I have two small FB and I am not sure when they will fit. LOL I am not thrilled with pockets as is though. I really love the Very Baby xs that are still fitting well. I had a small first class baby on last night that did ok. Trying a Dream-eze small AIO that I hope is wonderful as I love the fitteds on my son.

Oddly not using the longies as much as I expected to but partly because I am keeping baby in one peace outfits and it would be too warm. I need to get her some simple tops to go with the longies! Thus I tried to get her a while sweater this morning on ebay but because of not getting enough sleep I failed to notice it is BLUE.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#3 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

He's not even on the tightest setting for the smalls! I am so sad, he's growing too fast :

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
#4 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 PM

I am picking up my FBs tomorrow! I am so excited. I used Swaddlebees pockets with ds1 (after he started some solids) but they do not contain the bf poo. So, I got 8 FBs for night time after hearing you and some other mamas rave about them. :
#5 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Yeah. Diapers. Don't get me started....I spend 6 months making diapers and all the newborn and small sizes don't fit. I think I made them all way to bulky and maybe they shrank in the washer? Only half of my stash is usable, grrr. At least I made enough of the "mediums", which fit my chunky monkey now.
#6 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac'sMa View Post
I am picking up my FBs tomorrow! I am so excited. I used Swaddlebees pockets with ds1 (after he started some solids) but they do not contain the bf poo. So, I got 8 FBs for night time after hearing you and some other mamas rave about them. :
Double stuff the FBs if you notice leaking (urine). So far the XS has leaked but not the smalls, though both fit him. I assume it's because he's sometimes a super soaker and the XS just couldn't hold any more! It was soaked.

I bought one Hemparoo to try out (haven't tried it yet) and double stuff them. But they're over $5 a piece so I wanted to try just one.

#7 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 07:12 PM

still rockin' the prefolds over here. though, this dude can soak through an infant indian prefold in five seconds flat. i feel like all i do is change dipes!

i'm planning on sewing up a few more RRPs and some recycled wool covers.

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#8 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

I have a handful of Chinese Prefolds and am not really impressed yet. I have to always stick a doubler in and wonder just how comfy he is in them.

#9 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 09:58 PM

Well, the PFs are pretty good at containing the poo, I have to say. But for convenience and ease of use by others you can't beat an AIO. And for helping them feel dry and customizing absorbency, you can't beat a pocket! It's like that saying from Ecclesiates (but modified and for dipes...) There's a time for every diaper under heaven....
#10 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 10:48 PM

nak

blah.. our wonderworks xs leak like crazy and i have one drybees size s that works. we're using cheapo prefolds and diaperaps covers- but she's outgrowing the nb size diaperaps QUICKLY!!
ordered a bummi cover and some indian prefolds... problem is... no one can do prefolds but me : so i'm stuck with EVERY dipe. dh will clean her up though, so i guess that's something.

manda

::Mommy to Pixie : 9-3-00 and Peri 11-15-07
#11 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixiesmommy View Post
nak

blah.. our wonderworks xs leak like crazy and i have one drybees size s that works. we're using cheapo prefolds and diaperaps covers- but she's outgrowing the nb size diaperaps QUICKLY!!
ordered a bummi cover and some indian prefolds... problem is... no one can do prefolds but me : so i'm stuck with EVERY dipe. dh will clean her up though, so i guess that's something.

manda
NAK too.

A PF can be folded in thirds and placed inside your Bummis...that's what we're doing for Lucy. Easy enough for a DH, even!

boogiemonster | the hairy scotsman | anna the elf | lucy the sprite | wee faerie faye, born 01/02/11

#12 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post

i'm planning on sewing up a few more RRPs and some recycled wool covers.

Awesome diaper pattern. So easy to make. I wish I had made my entire stash of these. They truly fit my newborn and my 35lb son wonderfully. I will make some more after I am over the initial shock that half of my stash doesn't fit!
#13 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 02:26 PM

So, what size are these babies who are outgrowing the newborn dipes? I am afraid half or more of my stash won't fit since this baby is so late and may be huge... Maybe I should start shopping for more smalls!
#14 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:19 PM

My guy is also getting into his smalls, but so far we've had leaks out the legs of the fuzzibunz literally every single time I've put him in one. I've tried different stuffing configurations (various combos of three different kinds of inserts, and prefolds) to see if it was an absorbancy thing, and I've tried using different snap configurations to see if maybe I was fastening them too loose or too tight.. The next thing I'm going to do is try and strip them, although I pretty much did when I got them. I bought them used off the TP, but not all from the same person so I'm thinking it must be something I'm doing wrong.. He's somewhere around 11.5 pounds right now according to my home scale (9lb7oz at birth), so he should be plenty big enough for them.

The other problem I'm having is that the aplix on two of the bsww I have isn't sticking very well, rendering them pretty much unusable. I'm not sure if there's anything I can do about that after clearing any lint out of the tabs. I bought those used off the TP too, so maybe the aplix is just worn out.

I'm surprised to find myself liking the cheapest things I have best -- snappi'ed prefolds and proraps and dappi pull-ons. They just work. I feel like he's already getting a little too big for infant prefolds though. The wings barely overlap with the front. Sigh. I was not really prepared to have to buy more stuff when he's just 2 weeks old.. And I'm bummed about how stained my prefolds have gotten. I've been washing at least every other day if not every day, so now I'm wondering if maybe I need to tweak my wash routine a little too. This really is all too complicated, and just about the last thing I want to deal with on top of everything else right now..
#15 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittendrin
They truly fit my newborn and my 35lb son wonderfully.
how are you folding them for niklas? are you pinning? i've only sewed one as a tester, and i like it. i fold down the back for asher, and pin in front w/ one pin. it didn't fit my 30+ lb. 2yo as well, though--had to use two pins. and, there was some cheek-hanging-outtage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercover hippie
So, what size are these babies who are outgrowing the newborn dipes?
i can't say for sure, but i'm guessing 11-12 lbs. by now. 4 weeks old. no scale. he's huge, with a large couple of chins. and, his 0-3 mos. clothes are all getting small, as he is so long (22" at birth).

~Serina~

#16 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut
The other problem I'm having is that the aplix on two of the bsww I have isn't sticking very well, rendering them pretty much unusable.
can you sew new aplix on? my aplix still works great after three kids in dipes, but i suppose it depends on the washing habits of the prior owners of your cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonaut
And I'm bummed about how stained my prefolds have gotten.
what's your wash routine? my prefolds almost never stain, and i'm a lazy laundress. i do a cold wash w/ baking soda only, then a hot wash w/ a little detergent + vinegar rinse.

~Serina~

#17 of 18 Old 11-29-2007, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by welldone View Post
can you sew new aplix on? my aplix still works great after three kids in dipes, but i suppose it depends on the washing habits of the prior owners of your cover.

what's your wash routine? my prefolds almost never stain, and i'm a lazy laundress. i do a cold wash w/ baking soda only, then a hot wash w/ a little detergent + vinegar rinse.
New aplix is a great idea, but they're newborn size so he's pretty much out of them anyway and I'm not planning any more kids.. I'll probably just sell them dirt cheap or ffs on the TP, disclosing their condition.

My wash routine is very similar to yours: I sprinkle a little baking soda over the diapers when I put them in, then it does a cold prewash, hot wash with a little detergent (tide free), and two cold rinses with vinegar that releases in the second rinse I think. I have a HE front-loader.. I've been suspecting that it may be releasing the detergent in with the prewash instead of waiting for the hot wash, so I've been thinking that maybe next time I'll try doing a separate cold/cold wash first instead of the cold prewash. I've also been thinking of tinkering with the other stuff, maybe omitting the baking soda, etc..
#18 of 18 Old 11-30-2007, 05:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undercover Hippie View Post
So, what size are these babies who are outgrowing the newborn dipes? I am afraid half or more of my stash won't fit since this baby is so late and may be huge... Maybe I should start shopping for more smalls!
I am complaining that he's out of the newborns but that's not quite accurate yet. He's 9lbs 2oz now and the xs Fuzzi Buns fits perfectly, but he soaks right through. The FB smalls fit well.

The Kissaluv 0's still fit but are pretty small. At least there is little worry about leaks since they're covered. The size 1s fit but are pretty bulky still. He's sort of in between sizes.

So I guess it depends on how you like them!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page