Fussy, fussy!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 11-28-2007, 07:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Piper has been incredibly fussy the last two days. Today, she was awake from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with the exception of a 20 min. nap in the car. She has just been so fussy and wanting to nurse almost constantly. She finally fell asleep after nursing around 4 and I was able to put her in the Amby and she actually stayed asleep! She's been sleeping for an hour, thank goodness. She was about the same yesterday, but wasn't awake quite as much. We just got our Amby set up last night and she slept a good chunk of the night in it (for 3-4 hours, the first part of the night). I think it's going to be helpful for all of us to get a bit more sleep.

I'm hoping this is just part of the 2 week growth spurt (they do go through a 2 wk growth spurt, right?) I drank some milkmaid tea today, hoping that will help. I think I've been a bit stressed the last few days, I know that can affect supply too. We bought a new minivan to accomodate our growing family and spent the better part of the last two days looking at vans and working on negotiating and doing paperwork for the one we chose. That completely stressed me out. And dh is leaving tomorrow, which is also a huge stress. I'm sure this is all affecting Piper, at minimum, because of fluctuating milk supply. Anyway, just needed to whine about my fussy child. I hope it gets better soon.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#2 of 22 Old 11-28-2007, 07:56 PM

Could she be gassy? We had a day like that with Conrad. Even though we dose him with mylicon, he needed to fuss and then fart to get over it.

Sorry to hear that your husband's leave is up. It must be so difficult to see him leave again.
#3 of 22 Old 11-28-2007, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Well, she gets happier for a few moments after burping or pooping, but I don't really think that's the reason for all the fussiness.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)
#4 of 22 Old 11-28-2007, 08:34 PM

Sounds really hard on all of you. ((((hugs)))) there really are no words for how hard it all must be. I am sorry you have to be in this situation, sorry you have to be this strong. You really are strong though and it has to be ok. This too shall pass!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#5 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 03:43 AM

I am going through a lot of the same, right down to the minivan and the gassy/fussy kid. Hubby isn't leaving -- unless you consider the heavy work hours he's beginning to go through!

He's one day younger than Piper and I was actually coming on here to ask if anyone else is going through this at this stage. I gave him a homeopathic colic/gas relief tonight that seemed to help. He was super fussy and on the breast the last couple of days.

I assume it's a growth spurt. He even looks bigger already! Mom and hubby think tomorrow at the doc's he'll be close to ten pounds which would be at least a pound weight gain in 14 days if he is (he was 8lbs 12oz).

to you about hubby leaving. I am so :

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#6 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 04:52 AM

Thinking of you.

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
#7 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
He even looks bigger already!
So does Piper! She seriously needs to slow down. We have to redo her PKU on Monday so I'll weigh her again then. I'm guessing she'll be a solid 9.5 lbs (started at 8lb2oz.)

#8 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kontessa View Post
Thinking of you.
Thanks. I really don't know how ppl do this over and over again. It totally sucks. Last night I was feeling totally overwhelmed and hopeless. It didn't help that Piper wouldn't let me put her down for even 10 min. so dh and I could just cuddle. I'm feeling better today, but I'm sure tonight will be rough.

#9 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 11:00 AM

Oh boy.... we're dealing with the same thing over here, too....
Brennan went from being so very peaceful in his first two weeks to now for the past few days being awake almost the entire day and being super duper fussy during those extensive waking hours. Farting/pooping/burping is a very temporary solution for him (the happier result maybe lasting about 5 minutes!)

He has definitely been nursing a whole lot more...so I'm hoping that this is just a growth spurt and nothing more.... It hurts my heart to have him fuss...and it's making my 4.5 year old very upset!

While I'm not glad that any other Nov. mamas are going through this, I'm glad to know in a way that I'm not the only one feeling so helpless with this!

I also want to add... Alisha....hang in there, mama... I can't even begin to imagine what you're feeling.... You and your family will be in our thoughts during this (yet another) transition time.... HUGGGGGGG
#10 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 11:04 AM

Thinking of you Mama!!

Jodie, married to my best friend and Mama to three amazing kiddos, Jack (6), Matthew (4) and Sam (21 months) and cautiously waiting for a new little one due early spring (shhh, it's a secret!)
#11 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 11:37 AM

We've hit a 2 week growth (ok, he's really porking up...10 oz in 2 days!!! Same scale, butt naked!!) He's attached to me 24-7 lately. Went from sleeping, to not sleeping more than an hour.
#12 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 12:06 PM

This is my first post in I don't know how many days (or weeks) because I finally am able to put the baby down! Not just holding, but rocking, jiggling, etc. Yup, I have a fussy one. I am totally overwealmed because my DS was unusually (now I know) happy. He hardly ever cried. Really.

Ah, but James, he loves to scream. I have never seen a baby get ramped up this. Thankfully, he's great at night (knock on wood) and it's just during the day he's fussy. His ped. even commented brightly "sounds like a colicy cry!".

I have had no luck with any kind of carrier -- I've tried him in the Moby, Beco, Bjorn and went and bought a sling yesterday, to no avail. He hates them all. The only thing the likes (and this is a new breakthrough) is the Amby swing. In fact, it's the only thing that gets him to stop wailing. We've started calling it "his other mother." DH thinks this is great, and I do too.. But it makes me sad that I can't soothe my baby. I just want to put him in a carrier all day and have him next to me, but he won't have it. He wants the machine.... I guess I should just be thankful that something helps.

...And Alisha -- I'm thinking of you. Lots of hugs.
#13 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 04:49 PM

nothing but empathy here. asher is fussy, too. he's my third fussy baby. it's really draining, and nothing much helps. nothing works, besides nursing nonstop.

i keep expecting one of my nipples to fall off in his mouth one of these times. that's how much he nurses, and how sore i am!

~Serina~
Wife to j, homeschooling mom to five wonders

#14 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 05:33 PM

right there with you.. dean was great for two weeks,,, now i literally can't put him down day or night and he refuses any and all slings or carriers and paci now too...i am not having fun and have ot slept more than 20 mins at a streth for a week.... i am sorry your dh is leaving.. tough.. hopefully it is a short phase foe piper.. i fear i am in for the long colic haul as i was with other two.. hugs
#15 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Still super fussy here. One of my friends whose dad deployed often for shorter periods of time (like 3-5 months) when she was growing up, told me her mom said they were all super fussy as babies for a few days before and after their dad would leave. Like the babies sense the anxiety and stress it causes. I'm hoping this is temporary for Piper. My first baby was super fussy and so far, Piper hasn't been as bad as my first (well, the last 3 days she has been, but before that, she wasn't so bad), but she hasn't been nearly as easy as my second one was. She's been somewhere in between. I'm not sure what I'll do if this turns out to be just how she is. Much of the time when she gets on the boob, it's just to use me as a pacifier, which I'm not too fond of.

#16 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 06:11 PM

Libby has been oddly fussy but too but I am wondering if she is reacting to me. The death of my friend, my hubby coming home in a few weeks, it all seems like too much some moments.

What if our moods effect the taste of the milk?

#17 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 PM

Same here. Ate all day Monday, couldn't put her down for more than 5 minutes without her crying. I was a wreck by the end of the day. Thankfully she slept a lot on Tuesday. Growth spurt is my guess too.

She is SO big. She was 8 lbs. at birth, 7 lbs. 8 oz. when we left the hospital, and 9 lbs. 12 oz. at her 2-week appt. Holy cow! How can a baby gain over two pounds in two weeks?! I'm afraid to find out how much she weighs now. I can hardly hold her with one arm and she's not even a month old yet!

Hope things get easier for all of you!
#18 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 08:04 PM - Thread Starter

I don't know if it affects the taste of our milk, but I'm sure the stress/anxiety hormones are passed through out milk to the baby.

#19 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry you all are going through this too, but I'm glad I'm not the only one. I still think this is partly related to my stress level, but I'm sure it's partly the 2 week growth spurt as well.

#20 of 22 Old 11-29-2007, 09:43 PM

Location: behind my computer or between my angels in the PNW.
i just scanned the thread so pls forgive if you've already said this but has she been pooping regularly? could she be constipated? sheamas won't nurse if he is gassy...he's got to get it out...same goes for pooping...if he feels it comin' on he will not nurse. and as we all know now, he is a great pooper.

i'll ponder this one some more...

ok sorry looks like you all covered that (above...)...i am thinking its the stress and anxst you are feeling re. hubby leaving again...its got to be partly this. as for what else i don't know...maybe at around 2 wx they go thru some sort of pain as they grow??? sheamas' teeth under his gums seem real sharp so maybe its even a tiny tooth issue that hurts them? have you seen pedi or spoken w/ them? hmmmm. gosh i feel so badly for you. even when sheamas fusses a few minutes my heart is breaking and my mind races for possible solutions to possible reasons.....i usually figure it out but when we can't is when it is sooooo saddening and exhausting. that is when i soon bought megh a paci....maybe that was around 2 wx...i can't remember when i got it. it helped tremendously. have you tried dift paci's? she preferred the gerber one....they make a clear silicone (i think that is what it is) one instead of that goldish latex color or whatever that is they make those of..... i feel for you alisha and sorry dh has to go back. when does he return again??? have you tried putting on some nice music like enya or yanni or even classical if you like that...maybe that will help soothe baby. maybe babe is coming down w/ a cold and just has the aches so far.............oh man i feel for you and now that i'm in the same boat again w/ baby on the outside, i'm sure i'll be here posting about these same issues.............................i was totally engorged earlier and in pain and sheamas didn't want to nurse....then he slept and when he woke he didn't want to nurse. he pooped and then nursed. but i had megh be my pump as she loves mama milk and hasn't had any since may so she helped me get some relief. my sweet girl... hang in there mama. hugs.

joy.gifproud solo vegan mama to fambedsingle2.gif dd, 9 spitdrink.gif & ds,4  moon.gif. "it is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness" -chinese proverb  candle.gif

#21 of 22 Old 11-30-2007, 04:13 AM

After all the fussing and snacking he finally slept five hours in a row last night, then two and two after that. I was shocked (and boobs were sore!!). He wasn't fussy at all today. Again... shock.

The ped's scale says he's gained 6 oz. Wonder of the growth spurt is over?

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
#22 of 22 Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 AM

Dean has not slept for longer than an hour at a time in about a week... it's getting ugly over here... Evan was same but inconsolable.. Dean is usually consolable.. small bonus there.. still working on hyper lac issues and colic and reflux.. saw homeopath and cranial sacral ped Dc spec this week... hoping for some relief soon... why are my kids so difficult.. sigh...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page