Dilation means nothing... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2007, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was 3 cm dilated, 60% effaced at the beginning of the month (37 weeks). Last week, I was 5 cm dilated, 60% effaced...This week... Drumroll, please...

5 cm dilated, 75% effaced...

I've had 2 membrane leaks in the past month...several episodes of mucous... Now having about 3 real contractions per day... Pretty crampy. But

Nothing Is Happening.

I really don't believe in VE's during pregnancy, unless indicated. For precisely this reason! But, we really needed to do it to confirm baby's position and presentation--had to feel for the suture lines in his head, etc.

I'm not really even "late" yet. My "due date" was just this past Sunday. I'm just so tired and I don't know how much longer I can continue to hold all of this tension and conflicting emotions in my body.

If I hadn't dealt with 2.5 trimesters of debilitating hyperemesis, 7 weeks of preterm labor scares, 3 different instances of breech presentation and this nonsense with my parents...I would be FINE. I understand that babies sometimes need to bake longer... I don't want baby to come before he's ready... I just really thought I was having a November baby and things are getting convoluted...:

My dh's research schedule has been totally #$#*'d. All of my postpartum help has basically come and gone before the birth. Now, I'm facing even more time by myself because dh has to go back and re-do some things, complete some experiments, etc before he can begin writing his dissertation and preparing to defend. HE COULD HAVE BEEN DOING THAT FOR THE LAST MONTH!!

January-March are the worst months of the Connecticut year... Blah, blah, whine, whine, whine...

I know it will all be okay. We'll just have to take even more equity out of our house and pay for the help that I need. We will be okay. We'll pay it off eventually. I'm just completely fried and feel like I'm nearing an emotional breakdown.

My sweet dh has committed to giving me a real, 15 day babymoon...no matter what. That is so much more that most mamas get...so I really need to stop complaining.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 02:22 PM

(((HUGS))) mama. I'm glad your DH is committed to your babymoon, but sorry you are going to have to stress over money to get it. And I know what you mean about all your postpartum help already being come and gone and DH suddenly needing to put in more time working than he was before... I am feeling that way too. I hope it works out for both of us!

You totally deserve to feel emotionally drained. How about if I send you some virtual chocolate? Or maybe you need someone to come help right now so you can get a nap? That might be worth a day less of babymoon later...
Old 11-29-2007, 02:41 PM

I walked around dilated to a 5 (last day a cervical check revealled I was already almost a pasive 8...) during 14 days. It was crazy, specially the feeling of being a time bomb and having everyone around not doing their things in case you go into labor and Pum!

And I hated the feeling of loosing maternity leave days, and I hated myself for planning things and getting mad if later the outcome dind't match my plans (my first two boys came at 37 weeks so I wrongly assumed this one would come early as well...)

But I learnt a couple of things: I learnt I can't control everything, and I must say that when labor started, it was short and easy, right into transition and pushing.

I know it seems as if the babe will never come, but he/she will come, and it will be really soon. I promise!
Old 11-29-2007, 06:50 PM

This sounds a lot like what I went through. For 8 days I had contractions, false alarms, pre-labor/false labor/prodromal labor, whatever.... I eventually figured out that I had an emotional block that was preventing me from letting my baby go. Once I figured out what it was and cried for two days over it, my water broke and my baby was born in 3 hours. Is it possible that there is something similar going on with you?

Hugs and blessings....
Old 11-30-2007, 03:47 AM

Hugs to you and our stubborn babies. I'm right there with you on almost all accounts. Hyperemesis, bedrest since 32 weeks, nerve wracking sonograms, and now this dilation effacement false labor contractions 4 minutes 7 minutes 10 minutes 3 minutes bs.

C'mon babies, just come already.

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

User Tag List