Mothering Forum banner

Baby is here - 10lb VBAC

807 views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  sorteep 
#1 ·
Introducing Leah Marie 10lbs born 11/24 (due 11/17) after 23 hours of labor.

My dr was out of town so I ended up with a different one and she did not like me one bit. Kept trying to force and scare me into all kinds of interventions. My water broke at midnight (full moon) and I went to the hospital around 3am thinking that I was futher along. I was only 2cm. After not progressing for a while I consented to a shot of stadol for pain. It did reguvinate me a little bit since I had been so tired. OB kept telling me that I needed a c-section since I wasn't progressing fast enough and baby was in bad position.

At 5pm I was begging for the epidural and I was only at 5-6cm. My wonderful doula called the Florida ICAN chapter leader and I spoke with her. During that time I had gotten an IV bag of fluids and turned down the epidural. I labored more and visualized more. 6pm I progressed to 7cm. I labored/walked more and finally got a good nurse who was sooo supportive and had me labor in some different positions. I was soon 9cm with a lip. It took an hour of pushing. I begged the nurse not to call the OB, that I didn't want her there. She kept telling me that the OB needed to see me deliver my baby vaginally and unmedicated. I ended up tearing a bunch of 3rd degree tears.

Unfortunately I had a bunch of bleeding that would not stop. I kept having pushing contractions and I was passing a bunch of HUGE blood cloths that dh said were as big as a loaf of bread. I ended up with emergency surgery through my vagina and a blood transfusion. I did get lucky that she was able to stop the bleeding that way. The normal person has 12.5 units of blood and I was down to 4.5. After 2 blood transfusions and adding 4 units of blood I am now at home with just under 7 units. Hubby was really scared since he thought I was going to die. Our family's are both crazy and selfish and only upset at dh since he didn't call them to tell them right away. I am still really weak/tired but doing much better.

I honestly think that the reason for my bleeding was that the OB went and did a scar check after delivery and put her hands inside of my uterious to feel around. I had read that doing that increased bleeding problems but I had no idea that she was going to do that ahead of time. My regular OB doesn't do that.

Breastfeeding is going pretty good. I can't wait for my milk to come in some more but we're still going better than with ds who was tongue tied. She did have to have a little formula while I was in surgery and recovery but dh told me that she didn't take to the bottle and only had a couple of ounces.

Thanks for reading if you got this far.

See less See more
#3 ·
Wow, Tiffany, I'm sorry you had to fight so hard for your VBAC -- that makes it an even more significant accomplishment! You made it through so many challenges. Best wishes for your rest and recovery and congratulations on your big little girl. I'll be thinking of you -- keep is updated as you recover.

#5 ·
Oh bless you and your DH. What a very hard journey it sounds like that was. I am sorry it was like that for you. You are so strong and dispite all of that you did all you could to make you and baby safe. (((hugs))) Congrats on your big girl! Heal well and fast mama.

#11 ·
oh tiffany i'm so proud of you mama! we are now VBAC sisters of 10 pounders! wooooooop wooooop! i'm so glad you are ok. i bet i know how you are feeling 'down below' as i also had 3rd degree tear that almost went into my rectal muscles...sometimes the pain is unbearable. thank god for percocet and ibuprofen. how is your pain doing? i hope you are as proud of yourself as i am of my own victory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.