Help! I can't remove the stains off my CD's! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2007, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After one use of a breastfed poop-my diapers are stained. We soaked in cold, and the second time added Baking soda to the soak. Then wash in Bio-kleen in hot water. ugh...... then the second time around, the kissaluvs smell weird-almost fishy? Anyone have any suggestions?:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 PM

We've had some staining, but not a lot. I wouldn't be as worried about the staining as the scent. It seems like diapers are sort of destined to have poo stains at some point, even if they are technically clean.

Here's our cleaning regimen:
--cold water prewash with baking soda (1/2 C) and oxygen bleach
--hot/cold wash with detergent and some bio-kleen
--high heat drying

Don't know why the diapers would have a weird smell. I'd run them through again with a bunch of baking soda and bio-kleen in the prewash.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:39 PM

ITA about the stains...not a big deal. Some things you eat might cause BF poo to stain, but mostly it doesn't. : The stains will fade over time or you can try sunning the dipes.

The smell is a bit more worrisome. Were these dipes new or second hand? My answer depends on your answer to that question!
Old 11-29-2007, 10:41 PM

OH!! Maybe it's not just me!!! My brand new kissaluvs smelled "fishy" after one wash. I have washed them about a dozen times- the first wash was with All F&C, then when I noticed the stink I washed with baking soda, vinegar, borax (in various combinations), lots of plain hot rinses. TTO finally took it away somewhat, but it is definitely still there Yuck! For now she is in sposies and by the time I get this figured out she'll have outgrown the KL0s

ETA: I have some staining too, but it got better after the Borax- but that's the least of my worries, stains don't bother me but the stink definitely does!

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
Old 11-29-2007, 10:52 PM

Don't use All F&C on diapers. Major buildup will occur.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoneymoonBaby View Post
Don't use All F&C on diapers. Major buildup will occur.
Yeah, I've seen that a few times now while researching this issue- But I've seen an equal number of sites say it is fine! And I used it on DD1s dipes (PFs & FBs) for 2 years with no problems. But I'm switching to Allen's ASAP, hopefully that will help.

Leigh
Mama to Allison (1/05) and Lizzie (11/07)
Old 11-29-2007, 11:03 PM

Hmmm. So, it seems that the dipes are brand-spankin'-new?! And still smelling?! I agree with the detergent suggestion, but Purex Free and Clear seems to be okay. Have either of you called the company to complain? It's weird that it's happening to more than one person in this DDC...you *know* it's gotta be happening to mamas all over the place : ALso, have you tried a tablespoon or two of plain old chlorine bleach in the first wash cycle? (C'mon, it won't kill your dipes, but it will probably kill the funky beasts causing that fishy smell! )
Old 11-30-2007, 12:50 AM

I have always used Tide Free with an occasional Sportwash cycle to strip any buildup. Never had a problem.
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 AM

I was using Tide and have stains as well I can not seem to now get out. Grrrrr. I need to get some oxyclean and pray we get some sun here soon!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 11-30-2007, 02:14 AM

Oh, and it was tide free and clear!

Army wife to wonder hubby. Mama to 4 and Surrogate mother x2.: Zoey Born 5/7/2010
Old 11-30-2007, 04:44 AM

BTW, congrats on your babe! We had you on our list and didn't know you had delivered!!

Almost a b-ball team: : Taylor -14, Alex -11, Jack -8, Lachlan born at home 11/15/07
"Well behaved women rarely make history"
Old 11-30-2007, 12:43 PM

Sun really does work to take out poop stains! I know I had read that it did, but I was shocked to find it actually worked.

I had some clothes that were stained as a result of some nasty blowouts (still waiting for Little Chicken Legs to chunk up enough for his CDs) and the sun took them right out.

DS (2) and someone new in March 2011
Old 11-30-2007, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

To answer on question a few posts back. I bought them all used. I suppose we should strip them? I just sent Kissaluvs and email-I will get back to you on their response. Ugh! How do you know if your water is soft or hard????
Old 11-30-2007, 03:20 PM

Hello, I saw this on new posts. I've made this post three times today!

You are probably not using the right detergent nor the right amount. I follow the directions from the manufacturer of my dipes and give them a cold rinse, then wash them on hot (hotter than 120 degrees) with a full amount of Tide HE, and then do another cold rinse. They come out spotless every time. Do not use oils, do not use free and clear detergents, do not us natural detergents.

Here are some good links

http://www.jilliansdrawers.com/resou...thdiapers.html
http://pinstripesandpolkadots.com/basics.htm
Old 11-30-2007, 03:25 PM

I found the first set of poos totally stained the dipes, but then after several washes it ALL came out. natural fibred dipes usually have a coating on them when new that doesn't wash out for MANY, MANY washes and when this coating comes off, so do the stains.

Make sure you always to a cold pre-wash or pre-soak before your hot soak, and I bet in several washes the poo will come out!

Can't help you on the fishy smell though...

ETA: okay, I didn't realize they were used, my advice was for brand new dipes! I think others here have suggested they may be coated with detergent residue?

Tofie ~ mama to DD1, DD2 and Pookie v3 debuting December 2011
Oh my God....women are the COWS of PEOPLE!! --Reese, Malcolm in the Middle
Old 11-30-2007, 03:53 PM

If they were used, I'd say they probably need stripped. I have a tried and true washing routine that works for us. We haven't had any build-up/stink/rash problems since I started using this routine a good year ago (with dd2 and now dd3).

-Cold rinse
-Hot wash with 1/2 cap Calgon (water softener), 1 T. Ultimate Care Clorox bleach, 1 T. Charlie's powder laundry detergent.
-Additional hot wash with nothing added
-Hot dry

And we have very few stains. But a few stains are to be expected considering that they are diapers. Sunning works very well for stains, but if you don't do it the first time around, it is harder to get them out. I'm not patient enough to sun them and really don't care if they are stained a bit.

Alisha, Army wife to Nathan , Homeschooling mama to Scheeli (May 2003) , Bronwynn (Nov. 2004) :, Piper (Nov. 2007) , and Wesley (January 2010)

User Tag List