How are you all doing NIP? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 35 Old 12-05-2007, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
also as theo got bigger he started to hold on to them

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014
#32 of 35 Old 12-05-2007, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaRae View Post
This was my problem with my last. I was always SO wet and couldn't ever go without a bra and pads. Now I still have to be careful, but it's not as bad. Once in a while if I am full like at night, I leak. Otherwise it's just a little here and there.

Do you pump at all? I don't this time and I swear it's made a difference, though I don't know why.
No, I haven't been pumping. I want to say that the leaking has been slowing a bit, although I'm not sure this is true. I don't take much comfort in the books that say it's usually not a problem by 6 months. 6 MONTHS!?!?! Oh, well.
#33 of 35 Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM

my friend sent me a hooter hider. It is a beautiful floral print that you use to cover up and it has a molded neck so it doesn't collapse on the baby and you cabn see the baby while they nurse. I like it-But sometimes I think it attracts more attention. My friend loves it though....

http://www.bebeaulait.com/why.html
#34 of 35 Old 12-05-2007, 10:57 PM

I think that comfort with NIP is actually a really complex thing. It depends on so much: your body image, your family background, the area you live in (some places NIP is quite common and welcomed, other areas it is unheard of and shunned), how "coordinated" you are when nursing, how distractable/fussy/difficult your DC is while nursing, the list could go on and on.

For me, I am fairly comfortable with my body, so I'm not too freaked out about someone seeing part of my boob. My family background is awesome--my parents were original LLL members back in the 70s, so seeing women nurse was part of my everyday life growing up. Where I live I don't see tons of women NIP, but it is certainly done and I don't think its considered too big of a deal.

With DD1, though, I was not very coordinated--I really needed the Boppy and a comfy seat to do a half-decent job nursing her. Now, with DD2, I'm an old pro. I can nurse anywhere, anytime, in any position.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no one should feel bad about themselves if they aren't comfortable NIP. I think the whole idea behind feminism for me is that women should be free to CHOOSE to do what they are comfortable with. Therefore, you shouldn't HAVE to nurse in public or private, you know?
#35 of 35 Old 12-06-2007, 12:05 PM

NIP is definatly a leanred skill.

I found with DS1 the more praticed he and i became the less i even NOTICED if I was in public

at some point, nurseing at home, at mom's, at church, meeting the Pastor in his office (with DH), at the sotre, while walking the Freedom Trail in Boston, at The Old North Church, on a plane, on a train, in court .... it all blurrs together.

I know i got to a pint i never even thought about 'how am I going to nurse here" I just did it ..... compnay picnics, while cooking, walking around malls or hainv lunch with Scott's boss..... a personal fav of mine was a gun show where i swear i was the only female much less the only mother, wedding, funerals, building sites ....

I have found the more confident you are, the more natural you are, the less other notice. 1. i don't think people generally notice that much anyway - i think it is "pimple on Prom night" YOU think eveyoine is noticeing cuz you are not at ease and 2. the more at ease you are the less you draw attention to yourself and 3. the more confident you are in any part of your life, the more natural you feel, the more confidnce you put off and the more people accept it -- remember the first time you were big enough to wear high heels??

Personally I do NOT cover -- unless feeding in a carrier and the carrier is a de facto cover, not intental ..... 1. Theo HATED to be covered and would fight, cry and not nurse and cause a much much bigger stir if i tried and 2. I think the cover draws more attention than the baby and nurseing ... getting something (blanket, shawl, cover) out, get baby in place, moving clothing, getting the baby latched, getting it all settled .,..... I feel that just calmly putting baby to breast, moving some clothes and feeding baby -- and when you are praticed you won't even look down is much less "drawing of attention" JMO.

I suppose I might cover in a few situations (if we were touring churhes in Italy again) .. but then I would just wear the babe in the sling and let that cover for me ... nothing special.

But I appercitae anyones level of confort -- just be sure it is for YOU and not for theose around you -- really or in your own perception of how they will react.

It is your legal right, and it is your baby's birth right.

Pratice, pratice, pratice.

I am not as quick and easy with C yet as I was with T ... but i am better now with C than I was with T at 6 week ..... it is all a learning curve.

Aimee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page